Motoring Discussion > Transmission oil Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 5

Transmission oil - Armel Coussine
The gearbox in the jalopy had become very notchy when cold, latterly having to be started with bottom gear engaged. After a couple of miles the synchro would start to work, and of course a proper driver can always engage any gear if the car is moving, clutch or no.

I thought perhaps the oil level was a bit low in the transmission casing. It sure was, took two litres of transmission oil to top it up, the indy said. When I got the car back it was fine, but then it wasn't really cold. We'll see tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it's OK now, and no damage fingers crossed.

The garage did something to the clutch too, perhaps bleeding the hydraulic actuation. Anyway it bites much further up the pedal arc than it did, a new reflex to acquire but not a difficult one. The jalopy isn't designed with maintenance in mind and the clutch fluid reservoir is very hard to get at. The indy is a shy inarticulate soul but very good mechanic and I like him a lot. What with vat and all I don't think £120 was at all steep. He shyly reminded me that the rear anti-roll bar bushes are knackered and rattly and need doing, a pig of a job. I knew of course - we have a long bumpy track to the road - and he knew I knew.

Slobbish of me to let the gear oil get so low, eh? A common fault I think.
 Transmission oil - Skip
>> The gearbox in the jalopy had become very notchy when cold, latterly having to be
>> started with bottom gear engaged. After a couple of miles the synchro would start to
>> work, and of course a proper driver can always engage any gear if the car
>> is moving, clutch or no.
>>
>> I thought perhaps the oil level was a bit low in the transmission casing. It
>> sure was, took two litres of transmission oil to top it up, the indy said.
>> When I got the car back it was fine, but then it wasn't really cold.
>> We'll see tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it's OK now, and no damage fingers crossed.

Where has the 2L of oil gone ? Its a lot and must have got out somewhere !

Transmission oil - bathtub tom
It's gone somewhere, as will the new stuff.

Have you got a leaky drive-shaft oil seal?
 Transmission oil - Armel Coussine
>> Have you got a leaky drive-shaft oil seal?

They all leak a bit don't they? In the case of this car, there's no obvious big leak which I would have noticed. But it's more than likely that the transmission oil level hasn't been checked since the car was new and under warranty in Sheffield, 14 years ago.

As I said, it's a common thing to neglect. The oil has to be squeezed in through a filler plug hole in an awkward remote place on the casing, behind manifolds and wires and stuff, until it overflows from the hole. I used to do stuff like that but I don't any more except in dire emergency.
 Transmission oil - Runfer D'Hills
By the sounds of your drive might not an old Vitara or something be more suitable? I expect that's what Lud would do.
 Transmission oil - ....
What? Take up mobile hairdressing?

I remember my last car benefited from a gearbox oil change at around the 60/70k mile mark. 5th gear had become a bit reluctant,
Latest Forum Posts