Motoring Discussion > Alfa Romeo MiTo - Leather seats Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: momasungup Replies: 23

Alfa Romeo MiTo - Leather seats - momasungup
We are about to pick up our Mito from the dealers and have opted for the frau leather seats. The only problem is the car does not have that lovely leather smell I was hoping for. Is this normal???
 Alfa Romeo MiTo - Leather seats - Crankcase
Shamelessly pinched from another forum:

"The true leather smell comes from the old fashioned veg tanning and natural oils that were used in the past. Modern leathers use a much larger proportion of synthetic products for consistency and performance, but as a consequence they don't always have a leather smell."

Alfa Romeo MiTo - Leather seats - martin aston
Frau leather is top grade real leather and Alfa leathers always look fantastic. Re the smell, if it's a cold day it will smell less. Maybe more likely in this case is that there are so many competing smells in new car that for now the leather smell is masked. Hopefully it will come through as adhesive and other smells wear off.
 Alfa Romeo MiTo - Leather seats - jc2
I've owned a modern car with leather seats from new-never any smell in all the time I owned it(seven years).
 Alfa Romeo MiTo - Leather seats - rtj70
I've just got a new car with nappa leather. Replaced a car I had for 3 years which also had nappa leather seats. Neither had a leather smell to them.
 Alfa Romeo MiTo - Leather seats - Duncan
I do like the smell of leather.

Isn't there some jollop that you can rub into the upholstery to bring out the smell?
 Alfa Romeo MiTo - Leather seats - Mike Hannon
If it's a real issue you can buy aerosol leather 'aroma' or a dangly air-freshener device that exudes the smell. You see them advertised for a few quid in classic car magazines.
All the old cars with leather seats I've owned smelled nice (never smoked in of course) but the 'authentic' Connolly Autolux leather in the XJS doesn't seem to have any particular aroma. I've always used Connollys' Hide Food on leather car seats, which helps the aroma but it isn't easy to find these days and the leather cleaning and 'feeding' products from the big names all now smell like a tart's boudoir. (Yes I do...).
 Alfa Romeo MiTo - Leather seats - Runfer D'Hills
I've never felt all that tempted to sniff my car seats myself. Takes all sorts of course. Guess everyone has to have some kind of hobby.

;-)
 Alfa Romeo MiTo - Leather seats - Fenlander
If the smell is important this is the stuff... www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interior/gliptone-liquid-leather-conditioner/prod_210.html

I've been using it monthly on my old 5-series seats which had no leather smell. They needed conditioning anyway so nothing to lose. The smell is leather like and the conditioning effect (on 12yr old leather) is worthwhile.

With one of those air vent bottle thingys as well called Cotton Fresh teen daughter says "it's the nicest smelling car ever".

If you did try the Gliptone take no notice how it smells in the bottle... that's not how it smells in the car once absorbed.
 Alfa Romeo MiTo - Leather seats - Boxsterboy
>> I've owned a modern car with leather seats from new-never any smell in all the
>> time I owned it(seven years).
>>

Are you absolutely sure about that ... ;-)
 Alfa Romeo MiTo - Leather seats - Boxsterboy
My Grandad had a Jaag when I was a nipper. Now that had PROPER smelling leather seats. Mmmmm!
 Alfa Romeo MiTo - Leather seats - Ted

Mine don't niff either...but they are 62 yrs old......I've got some Connys hide food . Might try to make them sniffable some time !
 Alfa Romeo MiTo - Leather seats - WillDeBeest
We are still talking about seats - aren't we, Ted?
 Alfa Romeo MiTo - Leather seats - TheManWithNoName
I wonder if this works on all fabrics?

tinyurl.com/mkbsoqn
 Alfa Romeo MiTo - Leather seats - four wheels good...
The cabin in my MX-5 now 18 months old still smells nicely of leather even though it lives with the roof down all of the time.

I treat the leather every couple of months with the Auto Glym leather treatment and keep the car under a light cover in the garage.
 Alfa Romeo MiTo - Leather seats - legacylad
No leather smell in my 330, although it was 4yo when I bought it. Still prefer the mid grey to black colour though. Driving roof down today all I could smell for several miles was slurry. Had to turn the music up. Tom Petyt drowns out most things.
Back here then?
Sadly.....

Fancy an interesting ski trip to Tahoe early Feb? Cheapo flights ( currently £515 return) from Leeds to Sacramento with KLM/ Delta. Five nights Truckee ( Northstar/ alpine/ squaw valley) then 5 nights South Lake Tahoe ( heavenly/ Kirkwood/Homewood/Sierra).

Snow conditions (waist high powder) bit of a lottery, but fish tacos and decent enchilladas guaranteed!

Sounds wonderful ! Massively wrong time of year for me sadly. Incredibly seasonal calendar in my chosen endeavours I'm afraid.
 Alfa Romeo MiTo - Leather seats - No FM2R
Try this in June/July then...

www.powderhounds.com/SouthAmerica/Argentina/Baguales-Mountain-Reserve.aspx

25,000 acres, 30 people.
You're not allowed to say "**** yeah!" on here are you?
Hmmm. Appealing but way beyond my budget.
My friends heli skied at Revelstoke BC in March, and I baulked at the prices ( and I'm not a sufficiently proficient powder skier).
Sadly those days are over.
I think.
 Alfa Romeo MiTo - Leather seats - Zero
>> Sounds wonderful ! Massively wrong time of year for me sadly. Incredibly seasonal calendar in
>> my chosen endeavours I'm afraid.

The spring stock in Primark
 Alfa Romeo MiTo - Leather seats - Ted
>> We are still talking about seats - aren't we, Ted?
>>
HeHe !

That's for me to know and you to find out, Beest ! I don't mind..either way ! :-)
Latest Forum Posts