Motoring Discussion > Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 106

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 16 *****

Top Gear chat.

Volume 14 is HERE:-

Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 28 Dec 14 at 17:10

Top Gear test track on Streetview - Focusless
goo.gl/maps/OyInU

as reported in DM tinyurl.com/ofjrk8r

Top Gear test track on Streetview - Crankcase
I liked the convertible Morris Minor best.

Top Gear test track on Streetview - Fenlander
Sunbeam Alpine please.

Top Gear test track on Streetview - VxFan
I don't know why they bothered blurring out JC's face. It's obvious that it's him stood by the mobile tyre van.

Top Gear test track on Streetview - henry k
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi-ljpuEGnA

My son had already sent me the following link which he said is a lap of the track.
It does not work on my Pc but maybe does elsewhere.

maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.118655000000004%2C-0.536444&cbp=%2C124.7%2C%2C0%2C16.699997&layer=c&panoid=qPeOkODUapKPbKu3hVKYNw&spn=0.18000000000000788%2C0.30000000000000004&output=classic&cbll=51.118655%2C-0.536444

Top Gear test track on Streetview - VxFan
>> It does not work on my Pc but maybe does elsewhere.

Works fine on mine.

Top Gear test track on Streetview - Alastairw
I drive the TG team quite often. It is one the tracks in Gran Turismo 5. Quite tricky keeping out of the cones, and figure of 8 format makes some races quite interesting.

Top Gear presenter personalities? - mattbod
Just a question about the Top Gear team. Is it true they are quite arrogant and obnoxious? I know Clarkson refused to sign an autograph for my young cousin at Goodwood. He may have had a bad day but I have refused to watch the programme since then. I heard that Hammond is a bit up himself too but James May is a really nice bloke.

Anyone had any encounters with these guys, what is your take?
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 25 Jan 14 at 20:24

Top Gear presenter personalities? - Bromptonaut
>> James May is a really nice bloke.

James May rides a Brompton ergo he must be a nice guy.

It's quite an old one too with a 5 speed Sprinter hub.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 25 Jan 14 at 20:23

Top Gear presenter personalities? - Armel Coussine
All three are successful TV luvvies who have made it on their own. But James May seems the most sympathetic to me because he's genuinely interested in machines and mechanisms of all sorts. The others are just 'good drivers' who enjoy the privilege of treating a succession of new cars in a brutal manner. They make a point of not knowing or caring how the cars work.

All three join in the stupid TG schoolboy pranks with Ladas, caravans and so on. Load of childish crap.
 Top Gear presenter personalities? - Old Navy
>> All three join in the stupid TG schoolboy pranks with Ladas, caravans and so on.
>> Load of childish crap.
>>

You forget that it is only motoring based entertainment, it is only childish crap if you take it seriously.

>> it is only childish crap if you take it seriously.

Yeah, I suppose so ON. But they get sort of semi-prime time to make programmes about cars. They are wasting it with silly pranks. Po-faced of me I admit.
 Top Gear presenter personalities? - DP
>> Yeah, I suppose so ON. But they get sort of semi-prime time to make programmes
>> about cars. They are wasting it with silly pranks. Po-faced of me I admit.

I understand the sentiment completely AC, but if it were just about cars, they wouldn't get the audience figures to justify the prime-time slot.

The current format might irritate some, but it works for many, many more. The most successful "factual" (yes, I know) TV programme in the entire world by audience figures, and a large part of that is down to the irreverent, light hearted style. I know lots of people who couldn't care less about cars, who won't miss an episode of Top Gear.
 Top Gear presenter personalities? - PeterS
I always thought Richard Hammond seemed to have a pretty good grasp of how cars work - he's often seen 'fettling' his cars on the various challenges. But that doesn't necessarily make entertaining TV I guess?

Top Gear presenter personalities? - swiss tony
>> But James May...... The others are just 'good drivers' who enjoy the privilege of treating
>> a succession of new cars in a brutal manner. They make a point of not knowing or caring how the cars work.

My understanding is, that JC isn't a particularly good driver, and can only manage a couple of laps of the TG track before having to rest...

... notice how when the cars are being used hard, the driver is rarely recognisable from the exterior shots....

Top Gear presenter personalities? - Old Navy
My grandson and I received tickets for the Top Gear show at the Hydro in Glasgow for Christmas, he is a bit young to solo that far and late. The 13,000 seat arena was a sell out for the three performances. The three (four with the Stig) stooges hosted a good show with them clowning around with Reliant racing, the stunt drivers putting on several impressive and fast displays in a confined space. Plenty of room for lots of drifting and donuts, and four fast Focuses (Focii) to perform though. Also racing chariots powered with four motorbikes. A good evening out.

Top Gear presenter personalities? - mattbod
Hmmm maybe old TG presenters Quentin Willson and Tiff Needell are both nice down to earth guys. Quentin in particular will give you a lot of time if you meet him :)

Top Gear presenter personalities? - Roger.
>> Quentin in particular will give you a lot of time if you meet him :) >>

That's 'cos he's trying to flog you one of his warranties :-)
 Top Gear presenter personalities? - Westpig
Many years back, I went to the BBC studios in Wood lane, London, W12 and sat in the audience when JC had a chat show...(he interviewed Eddie Irivine amongst others).

A chap came on and explained how the system worked and how the audience needed to be 'warmed up' first and how usually that was done by someone other than the main man/woman ...but that in this case JC insisted on doing it himself..and he did..very well.

However, fast forward 20 years, I spoke with someone a couple of weeks or so back, (who I've seen on the t.v. and who provides in depth technical help) who does some TG work...and according to him, JC is a PITA prima donna who constantly shouts at people, Hammond has his moments and James May is charming and as you see on the t.v.

Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 25 Jan 14 at 20:25
 Top Gear presenter personalities? - NortonES2
In the IoM recently, we met a resident couple who said they know of JC. Apparently obnoxious, and unpopular on the island. I find JC quite entertaining and seemingly erudite, when off the subject of vehicles!

Top Gear presenter personalities? - Zero
>> >> Quentin in particular will give you a lot of time if you meet him
>> :) >>
>>
>> That's 'cos he's trying to flog you one of his warranties :-)

Better than flogging you a clocked car.

Top Gear presenter personalities? - Dave_
I was in the TG audience this time last year (the episode with the Astra VXR, Focus ST, Megane RS and Lewis Hamilton). In between takes the presenters all legged it outside for a fag break (Hammond stayed indoors with a green LED version). They "presented" on stage pretty well, but there was zero audience interaction between takes. Luvvies indeed.

Still an enjoyable day out though, improved no end by my Access All Areas wristband :) I was babysitting a fairly new, fairly expensive car so needed to be available all day just in case. Didn't want to shout about it at the time.

Top Gear presenter personalities? - RattleandSmoke
This is in my own opinion of course, and I am not stating this as fact.

Clarkson = Posh boy that got lucky, fond his niche by making being arrogant entertaining. He is a great entertainer but in terms of people I would least like to spend dinner with he is right up there with Madonna. I imagine he is a very demanding queen at times. I do find him funny but I bet if I met him I would be rather disappointed.

Hammond - I never make my mind up with Hammond, he seems to fancy himself a bit but he does at least seem to know about cars.

May - He seems to come across as very genuine, he is on Top Gear because he loves cars and engines, out of the three is the by far the most educated (they are all well educated though) and in some ways he reminds of me. There was a joke in TP last year about how people fall asleep when May attempts to explain Torque, well I have been there myself. I always have to explain why I am doing something and how it works.

What it comes down to is I hate fancy wine bars and anything pretentious, yet I can be a bit of an inverted snob but I prefer to spend my night in dimgy pubs and rock bars, and for that reason I think I would get on with James May the most (even though he is into classical music).

It's uphill work 'getting on' with a TV operator who half-expects anyone approaching them to be seeking a favour of some kind. Jeremy Clarkson is the biggest TV operator of the trio and it's hardly surprising he has a reputation for stand-offishness.

People's fans can be incredibly stupid and presumptuous and some celebs get sick of it.

As a political hack I spent a lot of time and effort buttonholing people. They resist, and you can't blame them for it. You'd do the same in their place. I know a bit about this stuff. Uphill work.

Top Gear presenter personalities? - Boxsterboy
>> Anyone had any encounters with these guys, what is your take?
>>

I went to a Top Gear filming (in the hangar) a couple of years ago, and would recommend it to fans of the show. Highly entertaining and a lot got edited out ;-)

When the cameras weren't rolling JC was just the same as when they are rolling, but funnier in a way that couldn't be broadcasted. JM and RH were, on that day, almost invisible when the cameras were off, which was really weird. Maybe they were having an off day?

My son and I also helped JM build his Lego house at Denbies a few years ago. On that day as he wandered around the tables of helpers, he was a bit more sociable.

You have to remember that, as with all TV, what you see is a fraction of what is filmed, and not necessarily an accurate portrayal of the day. Editors are well paid for a reason!

Top Gear E Coli. - Old Navy
Fortunately my grandson and I decided to eat on route to the venue.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-25980003
Last edited by: Uncle Albert on Fri 31 Jan 14 at 15:14

Top Gear E Coli. - WillDeBeest
And I thought they'd found the cause of verbal diarrhoea.

Top Gear E Coli. - Crankcase
Well, if it helps, they'll be back on Sunday for the new series, when they will no doubt be burgering about.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15 - R.P.
CBBC ?
 Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15 - RattleandSmoke
The usual silly crap, they could have done something quite good with the hot hatch challenge but instead they had to lark about with fake explosions etc. Great sound track though!

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15 - Westpig
That was dire
 Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15 - Zero
that really was Bad - with a capital BEE

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15 - bathtub tom
I predict trouble looming for re-naming Shelsley Walsh after peripatetic driveway tarmaccers.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15 - Slidingpillar
And Hammond really is a ____ . I've never seen or heard of a car falling off the track on the return to the paddock. (I've done events there).

>> And Hammond really is a ____ . I've never seen or heard of a car
>> falling off the track on the return to the paddock. (I've done events there).

It was done in the interests of entertainment, and not down to his (lack of) driving skills.

I'm not 'entertained', I just regard Hammond as a bigger twit than before.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15 - Boxsterboy
>> >> And Hammond really is a ____ . I've never seen or heard of a
>> car
>> >> falling off the track on the return to the paddock. (I've done events there).
>>
>> It was done in the interests of entertainment, and not down to his (lack of)
>> driving skills.
>>

Exactly. I bet he wasn't in the car when it was pushed off the hill. My boys loved it, which means the show has hit its target!

>> That was dire

Oh I dunno. I found it highly enteraining, spoiled only by some star berk in a reasonably priced car.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15 - madf
Watched first 20 minutes - which were entertaining - but then gave up when they started on the news .Came back for 5 mins near the end.

Won't bother again.
The Nova wasn't rolled - it was part of the komedy kaper.

Who didn't lark about in cars when they were a teenager? From car seat swapping, to surfing on the roof/bonnet while someone else was driving. The sofa being towed looked like fun too. Didn't try that one though. They did however miss who could do the longest wheelspin, burnout and handbrake turn.

I didn't even know about being able to hotwire a Nova simply by just turning the hazard switch upsidedown.

And who wouldn't love to drive around a supermarket pretending it's a race track.

Er....me...
Just me then.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15 - TheManWithNoName
Its certainly changed a bit since this one...
www.streetfire.net/video/top-gear-season-1-episode-1_2205634.htm

I'd forgotten the consumer article about deals on new cars led by Jason somebodyorother (fat bloke)

Wow - it's about cars.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15 - Stuu
I really enjoyed that episode, bit silly but so what, most comedy shows are.

The reason it continues in its current format is it makes money and pays for all the boring TV shows that people called Jeff, who dont like TG, adore.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15 - mikeyb
I thought it was OK, although I bored of the challenge towards the end. As light entertainment it appeals to my child like mind

I wonder if the bit about starting a Nova by inverting the hazard switch was true?
I used to own a 1.5 diesel Nova Merit + on a K plate. It was a great little car, quiet economical but I replaced at least 3 hazard switches. Every time I pressed it the thing wouldn't switch off and I was forced to remove the unit from the dash which meant no indicators worked!
They were also right about yoofs and crazy things in cars. A friend rolled his VW Derby once on a dusty track late one night. At the time we laughed about it but years later we realise how lucky we were that no-one was injured. Kids, eh?

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15 - rtj70
>> I wonder if the bit about starting a Nova by inverting the hazard switch was true?

I wondered about that. Also wouldn't there be a problem with the steering lock unless it was broken. But I think it might be true.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 3 Feb 14 at 20:47

>> I wonder if the bit about starting a Nova by inverting the hazard switch was
>> true?

Apparantly it is.

tinyurl.com/p4smzbx - google

>> Also wouldn't there be a problem with the steering lock unless it was broken

Back then, the steering lock pin was made from soft cheese. It didn't take much to yank the wheel and break the lock mechanism.

I was surprised the little 1.4i Nova was faster up the hill than the 8v Golf was.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 3 Feb 14 at 21:22

Those Nova's were very light though. Power to weight was probably in it's favour.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15 - Armel Coussine
I saw most of it this evening. It annoyed me several times and made me smile once or twice.

Naturally the Golf GTi was quickest and strongest and the Nova was nippiest.

Those early Golf GTis are incredibly good. I still regret not snatching the one I had in my hands last year. But it needed a couple of thousand spending to get it right and I was too mean, or rather too poor. And it would be a bit young for me these days, heavy steering and all... but I still regret it.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15 - DP
Cried with laughter at Hammond's supermarket run.

I had never heard of the SIARPC chap and he was about as interesting as porridge.

Good, unpretentious entertainment as always though. I look forward to the rest of the season.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15 - Duncan
The usual nonsense. You either like it, or you don't.

The SIARPC was a bloke off Downton - I believe.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15 - Zero
>> The usual nonsense. You either like it, or you don't.

I do, but that was a poor episode. The supermarket thing was just dire.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15 - Fenlander
>>>that was a poor episode.

Yep it was. I'm never annoyed by Top Gear and usually enjoy it but these set pieces could be a little more inventive than just seeing how many ways there are to damage stuff.

>> The SIARPC was a bloke off Downton - I believe.

Also in the very good series Twenty Twelve.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15 - Crankcase
Twenty Twelve was excellent and I didn't know until the TG interview he was doing this new W1A thing, so I'm looking forward to that now.

>> I didn't know until the TG interview he was doing this new W1A thing

Neither did I - also looking forward to it. I wonder if some of the others will be in it.

>> I wonder if some of the
>> others will be in it.

Cast of W1A

Hugh Bonneville as Ian Fletcher, Head of Values at the BBC
Jessica Hynes as Siobhan Sharpe, Brand Consultant
Sarah Parish as Anna Rampton, Head of Output
Hugh Skinner as Will Humphries, Intern
Jason Watkins as Simon Harwood, BBC's Director of Strategic Governance
Nina Sosanya as Lucy Freeman, Producer
Monica Dolan as Tracey Pritchard, Senior BBC Communications Officer

Re Nova power to weight, Yes that and the 8 valve Vauxhall engines of that era were absolute gems. Always more than a match for Fords etc that were 200cc bigger.
Last edited by: DP on Tue 4 Feb 14 at 12:19

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15 - Enoughalready
It was fun but just a bit too much artistic license for my liking. The hot hatch comparison test would have been far better it they had a smaller budget IMO.

I've been trying to find the weight of a Nova.
I reckon the 1.4 SRi was no more than 850kg - output about 82bhp so about 96bhp per tonne.

(back of fag packet maths so forgive me)

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15 - Manatee
735-865kg according to wiki en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_Corsa

Heavier than I thought. They seemed very light to me. My neighbour had one that dissolved into rust at no great age.

>> 96bhp per tonne.

100 was reckoned the starting point for serious sporting performance so that model of Nova wasn't a bad off-the-shelf slingshot at all...

Cars were more fun in those days in a way.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15 - Dulwich Estate
The programme was an absolute pile of poo, but I did laugh a few times and will keep on watching. It's such a shame that near enough everything is done for laughs - a proper early eighties hot hatchback trial would have been good say, XR3i, Mk 1 Golf GTI, 205 GTi etc.

The trend is worrying though - it seems that every series gets sillier and sillier and unless they take care it'll end up disappearing up its own exhaust pipe.

On the theme, quite a few programmes had the odd laugh now and then but have gradually become more silly. QI for example used to be good TV, but the crude jokes and innuendos have spoiled it for me. HIGNFY might be going the same way.

It's the same with WatchDog - you get more laughs per programme than before - shame.

It's called dumbing down, as with a lot of stuff. ISIHAC remains resolutely the same.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15 - Westpig
>> On the theme, quite a few programmes had the odd laugh now and then but
>> have gradually become more silly. QI for example used to be good TV, but the
>> crude jokes and innuendos have spoiled it for me. HIGNFY might be going the same
>> way.

That's how we feel.
>>
>> It's the same with WatchDog

Gave up on that years ago. I don't mind the genuine cases...but some of the stuff they put on was from people too stupid to be part of the human race.

>> It's the same with WatchDog - you get more laughs per programme than before -
>> shame.

But Watchdog purports to be a serious consumer programme. Top Gear in its current incarnation has by Clarkson's own admission never been about anything other than "three blokes cocking about and falling over a lot"

I found it a shame that they picked a Nova SRi for even a tongue-in-cheek hot hatch comparison though when the SRi was never really a hot hatch even in its heyday. The GTE/GSi was of course the hot version. That said, you won't find a genuine GTE or GSi in any sort of useable condition for anything like £750.

I'm also not convinced that Golf was a genuine GTi. On one of the shots from the back, the tailgate badge said "GT" which was a lookey-likey model with considerably less grunt.

>> not convinced that Golf was a genuine GTi. On one of the shots from the back, the tailgate badge said "GT" which was a lookey-likey model with considerably less grunt.

I think you could be right DP. Only single headlights too (the GTi I ought to have grabbed had double ones). But the steering wheel was the same I think.

Anyway it still went better and was stronger than the others...

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15 - Bromptonaut
>> >> 96bhp per tonne.
>>
>> 100 was reckoned the starting point for serious sporting performance so that model of Nova
>> wasn't a bad off-the-shelf slingshot at all...
>>
>> Cars were more fun in those days in a way.
>>

My Pug 104ZS, 66bhp out of 1124cc was close to the 100bp/tonne marker. Went like a scalded cat when it was on song.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15 - Stuartli
>>My Pug 104ZS, 66bhp out of 1124cc was close to the 100bp/tonne marker. Went like a scalded cat when it was on song. >>

The Daihatsu Charade gtti delivered 99bhp from a three-pot 993cc engine and was capable of 0-60mph in 7.7 seconds, better than the Golf GTi at the time.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15 - diddy1234
Why didn't Daihatsu continue making the Charade gti ?

they were on to a winner there

Thread drift alert !!!!!!

Thread has gone totally off Top Gear topic......we're talking about cars !!!!!!

Joke

:-)
It was this that made me go off topic.

tinyurl.com/bqgdxdw

I want that Alfa....oh yes I love it....so much.
Brilliant tonight...

You can't have the Alfa, it's for me! :o)
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Sun 9 Feb 14 at 21:52

>> I want that Alfa

Only if I can have the quad jetski.

Top Gear discussion thread - Volume 15 - Duncan
>> I want that Alfa....oh yes I love it....so much.
>>

You have that Alfa.

I will have the garage where you keep bringing it to have it fixed.
 Top Gear 16th Feb Episode - RattleandSmoke
What did people think of last nights Top Gear? I thought the bit on small cars were good, but £17,000 for a 1.0 litre Fiesta?!

The Dacia looked like a decent car, proven engines but the interior looked very low rent even compared to my low rent Panda.

Not sure what to make of the Up, looked like a very solid car but I would be concerned about the value for money.

As for Chernobyl my understanding is that the place isn't that dangerous if you're only there for an hour or so. I have always wanted to visit that place and I suppose how prices will be cheap!.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 17 Feb 14 at 13:57

Top Gear 16th Feb Episode - BobbyG
Well I have often criticized the show for being too sports car orientated and not enough for man on street. So delighted that they did the thing with the small cars.

However, I can't tell you too much about it because I fell asleep!

It was almost as if "we will take one for the team here, make this really boring , and then we will never ever be asked to do it again"

Top Gear 16th Feb Episode - Armel Coussine
They were rubbish about the small cars. They liked the most expensive one best, they said. Other than that, nothing. Damn useless.

I thought the teenyboppers' heartthrob James Blunt rather good value though. Amusing army story or two and drove very quickly on his lap.

The three musketeers really got up my nose though with what appears to be disdain, almost hatred, of all automobiles. I'm getting very tired of them.

Top Gear 16th Feb Episode - No FM2R
chernobyl-tour.com/english/48-one-day-trip-to-the-chernobyl-zone-and-prypyat-town.html?gclid=CJfzxN2w97wCFTQOOgod_0EAug

Top Gear March 2 Episode - Number_Cruncher
After watching the BMW spin out at 120 mph on the straight in tonight's episode, I was put in mind of the rather short sighted individual who said that "yaw stability isn't everything"

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 3 Mar 14 at 01:44
 Top Gear March 2 Episode - Armel Coussine
>> short sighted individual who said that "yaw stability isn't everything"

Do stop banging on about how wonderful understeer is N_C. It's failsafe for people who can't drive, Americans and such. But it isn't really failsafe is it? Drive like a prat in any car and you could well go up a tree. Drive gently and understeer will see you through even if you're myopic and run over a slightly slippery bit.

I know what I'm talking about. I've crashed, slid and had near misses in all sorts of jalopies. I don't think you really do. You're just trying to blind us with 'science', but it's just scientism really. Load of crap as often as not.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 3 Mar 14 at 01:44

Top Gear March 2 Episode - bathtub tom
I give more credence to NC's technical expertise and took his yaw stability comment as sarcasm against whoever made the original statement - I smiled.

I don't know what his journalistic skills are like.

Top Gear March 2 Episode - Crankcase
Not a brilliant episode last night - I thought the cycling thing was going to be them designing a new kind of bike, (inflatable seats, spikes on the front, usual kind of thing) which could have been fun, but instead it was a repeat of the time they produced some "art" and worthy art critics went all headmastery at them, or when they made a stunt film and the film director went all headmastery at them, or...

Didn't know the star from Adam, quite liked the Porsche hybrid, piece about the Golf v BMW was a bit humdrum.

6/10 from me.

Top Gear March 2 Episode - movilogo
The cycling part was hilarious! I agree with them in principle. Just get a car :-)

Top Gear March 2 Episode - Bromptonaut
The cycling bit was interesting if tiresome in its reliance on the usual slapstick. Lot of good points though even if made too subtly or in an odd way.

On the 'fact finding ride' Clarkson was acting the goat and squealing like a school girl about the buses With the odd very rare exception they're actually extremely good around bikes. If he kept his speed up and looked assertive he'd have less problem.

Watch how James May rides though. The Brompton wasn't a demo borrowed from the company It's is a five speed so at least 12 years old so I guess his own and he rides it regularly. He knows exactly where he is in the road, integrating with the traffic, placing himself for visibility while constantly scanning around him and planning his line over the road ahead.

A craftsman at work.

While the bit with Jeremy's 'chain off' was contrived James made some very pertinent points about maintenance; both the need for it and it's simplicity.

Top Gear March 2 Episode - Slidingpillar
As far as I know, the Brompton was James May's property. He certainly owns one, and riding a borrowed bike when you have a perfectly good one of your own makes no sense.

I only wish they'd not treated cycle maintenance as a joke item.

>> I give more credence to NC's technical expertise and took his yaw stability comment as sarcasm against whoever made the original statement - I smiled.

I have a horrid feeling that you're right bt, and that I really owe N_C an apology for taking a bit of gentle teasing as provocation. Heaven knows I often tease people here, N_C included, so ought to be able to take it.

Guh... sorry N_C (and by the way, I know BMWs have that rattlesnake side, as an old friend, a heavy-footed Belgian hack, discovered on the autoroute between Paris and Brussels, spinning under acceleration in the rain on a fuel/water amalgam when passing CDG airport and writing his motor off after three rotations and a roll).
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 4 Mar 14 at 15:27

Top Gear March 2 Episode - sooty123
Just watched on iplayer today, I thought it was brilliant. The cyclist bit was very funny, genuninely had me laughing away at the public information film JC and JM made. TG at it's funniest, more please!
>> Guh... sorry N_C (and by the way, I know BMWs have that rattlesnake side,

Nevertheless, I insist that yaw stability isn't everything. Indeed yaw stability pursued beyond a certain point would result in a vehicle that couldn't deviate from a straight line.

Nor do I think that N_C, for all that he's a mechanical engineer and knows a lot of equations, is completely innocent of scientistic tendencies.

Everyone takes unfair advantage of the advantages they have. It's human nature. You don't always have to admit what you're doing, but if you aren't even aware of it you and those around you are potentially in trouble. Better to be open on the whole.

I'm aware this post will seem barmy to some. Perhaps it is. So be it.

Top Gear March 2 Episode - No FM2R
I watched all 5 of the episodes today.

Mostly its all great fun but occasionally its a bit rubbish - like the supermarket bit.

But I'd rather have it like it is than not have it at all.

Top Gear March 2 Episode - Zero
I have to confess, I am starting to tire of it. Its become terribly formulaic, no longer fresh and sufficiently out there. I rarely laugh out loud anymore, the family no longer gathers round to watch it, it has - in short - run out of steam.

In our house its now relegated to Iplayer so one can fast forward through it and pick out the bits of interest. About 10 minutes per show I guess now.

I don't think its got *that* bad, but you;re right that it certainly isn't the hysterical laughter provoking program that it used to be.

But it is still fun, and at least it means there is *some* level of irreverence left on UK TV.

>> and at least it means there is *some* level of
>> irreverence left on UK TV.

But its become predictable irreverence, and when its that its no longer genuinely irreverent.

I actually thought a little more spontaneity had crept back in this season. Last year it seemed even more contrived.

Top Gear March 2 Episode - swiss tony
>> I have to confess, I am starting to tire of it. Its become terribly formulaic, no longer fresh and sufficiently out there. I rarely laugh out loud anymore, the family no longer gathers round to watch it, it has - in short - run out of steam.
>>
>> In our house its now relegated to Iplayer so one can fast forward through it and pick out the bits of interest. About 10 minutes per show I guess now.
>>
>>

I could have posted those exact words 2 years ago.
This seasons, I watched the first on i-player, and that was enough for me.
I really can't be bothered even fast-forwarding it at all.

It'd take some balls to re-engineer the format when it is still so popular. Even if it is seemingly inevitable that its days are numbered without change.

It probably needs a piecemeal approach; today the venue, tomorrow one of the regulars, etc. etc.

Top Gear March 2 Episode - nice but dim
I've started watching old youtube clips of 'old' Top Gear. I find them much more watchable. I was too young to watch this through the 80's and early 90's but did catch the last few years before the revamp. I just wish Quentin Willson was still doing motoring programmes.

Top Gear March 2 Episode - Fullchat
I have been watching a few over T time on Dave which looking at the 04 plates means that they are 10 year old episodes. That aside the entertainment value is not necessarily about the cars but the way in which the reports are presented and the antics through the programme.

>> I've started watching old youtube clips of 'old' Top Gear. I find them much more
>> watchable. I was too young to watch this through the 80's and early 90's but
>> did catch the last few years before the revamp.

They were utterly utterly boring. Thats why they were withdrawn, in short no-one watched them.

I just wish Quentin Willson was
>> still doing motoring programmes.

Ah count dracula - the second hand mileage clocker, how he ever got to be the respectable face of a warranty company was beyond me.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 6 Mar 14 at 07:44

Top Gear March 2 Episode - nice but dim

>>
>> They were utterly utterly boring. Thats why they were withdrawn, in short no-one watched them.
>>
that may be so, I'm just catching up what I missed up on first time round.

Top Gear March 2 Episode - Duncan
>> I just wish Quentin Willson was
>> >> still doing motoring programmes.
>>
>> Ah count dracula - the second hand mileage clocker, how he ever got to be
>> the respectable face of a warranty company was beyond me.
>>

I don't any television programme could accommodate both Jeremy Clarkson and Quentin Willson at the same time.

Those two massive egos together would cause the set to explode.

Latest Forum Posts