Non-motoring > What do you make of this sentence? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 21

What do you make of this sentence? - MD
Given the evidence.
 What do you make of this sentence? - Manatee
Not a sentence?
 What do you make of this sentence? - WillDeBeest
Without a finite verb it's not a sentence, it's a clause.
};---)
If only I could find my coat.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-25760732
 What do you make of this sentence? - R.P.
No choice. He pleaded guilty to murder and was given the minimum term. Tragic though
What about the known side effects of the drug. I find it quite strange.

Haven't there been cases where people have committed Murder whilst sleep walking and got off?
 What do you make of this sentence? - Zero
I got the feeling that was not considered for the murder of the daughter, which seems to have been treated as considered, calculated and premeditated.
There but for the grace of.........
 What do you make of this sentence? - Bromptonaut
It's murder so judge has no option but life.

Minimum term of 17yrs for a double murder is on face of it lenient. OTOH given his age and health it's effectively a 'whole of life' tariff.

Presumably there was evidence about effect of meds. Looks about right to me.
Haven't there been cases where people have committed Murder whilst sleep walking and got off?
 What do you make of this sentence? - NortonES2
And other let-offs due to insanity. M'Naghten rules, dating from 1843 or so. And relating to sleepwalking, Wiki "In Bratty, Lord Denning observed obiter that a crime committed while sleepwalking would appear to him to be one committed as an automaton. However, the ruling in R v Sullivan that diseases of the mind need have no permanence led many academics to suggest that sleepwalkers might well be found to be suffering from a disease of the mind with internal causes unless there was clear evidence of an external causal factor."
That's cleared that up then:-)
 What do you make of this sentence? - bathtub tom
>>Redfern pleaded guilty to murdering Sarah and the manslaughter of his wife.

Would the judge have any alternative in view of the guilty plea?
 What do you make of this sentence? - CGNorwich
None whatsoever. As pointed out above life sentence is mandatory. Judge just decides the tariff i.e the minimum number of years prisoner must serve.
 What do you make of this sentence? - Mapmaker
He is sentenced for the deliberate killing of his daughter in order to cover up the inadvertent killing of his wife. Makes sense to me. Ghastly man, they should throw away the keys.
 What do you make of this sentence? - Crankcase
Don't wish to thread hijack, but what do we make of THIS sentence? What does it take to get to prison these days?

www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News/Convicted-hit-and-run-killer-back-in-Cambridge-Crown-Court-for-drug-offences-20140117070024.htm

Without knowing the full facts of the dangerous driving offence it's difficult to comment on whether suspended sentence was right or not. Presumably though the judge would have had guidelines from the sentencing council.

Surprised in circs and conviction, albeit on a guilty plea, for dealing that he's not been committed to Crown Court for sentence.
That IS the Crown Court, surely?
>> That IS the Crown Court, surely?

You're quite right. My mind was diverted by weird fish eye picture of Mags Ct.
Actually it pretty much looks like that in reality. Court Architecture is no longer magisterial.
Judge's full sentencing remarks in respect of Redfern are here:

www.judiciary.gov.uk/Resources/JCO/Documents/Judgments/r-v-redfern-sentencing-remarks.pdf
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 17 Jan 14 at 14:52
Much clearer now.
Latest Forum Posts