Non-motoring > Would you pay £750 for a puppy? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 98

Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - Dog
One of these: www.lakeland-terrier.org/

I'm in touch with the breeder in Devon but, I can't help thinking it's an awful lot of Wonga to fork out for a dawg.

The other thing that bothers me is I'm 61 years young and 'Floyd' could live to 15+ years when I'll be, um, 76!!

I know there are a hell-of-a-lot-of rescue dogs crying out to be rehomed, but I've bin down route before, thanks.
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - Bromptonaut
If it's got some sort of pedigree probably about the going rate.

Friends paid similar money for a bitch show Cocker Spaniel pup a couple of years ago. IIRC that was subject to an agreement not to breed from her. Now neutered and a lovely pet - one of the few dogs I can really like.
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - Falkirk Bairn
I paid £125 for a pedigree bitch 30 years ago and £300 15 years ago.

Insignificant amounts of money compared to the Vet bills.

But worth every penny - they were both magic!
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - sooty123
We didn't pay that much for our puppy, although it's not a terrier. It is a lot but how much do you want it?
>>Insignificant amounts of money compared to the Vet bills.

Milo our Ridgeback has been very good in that respect FB, but they are a hardy breed and I believe Lakelands are the same, hopefully.
>>If it's got some sort of pedigree probably about the going rate.

That's what I thought Brompt, I paid £350 for Milo the R/Ridgeback, but that was 13.5 years ago (he's still here btw)

I'm not looking for a show dog or anything like that, but I have purchased so-called pedigree dogs before and I reckon some of the 'breeders' run orf the pedigree certificate on their PC/printer.

Kilda Lakelands look like the real thing though.
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - commerdriver
Lovely dogs, we have a 12 year old one so in a few years, who knows. It's a lot of money but you know what you are getting and a good one with no inbred health problems will save you that much over the years easily.

Never had the same breed twice in a row as we always felt we would be comparing them, however subconsciously. This time, not so sure, hopefully a few years away.
>>but how much do you want it?

Well, good question! .. we don't mind paying that sort of money for 'the right dog', after all, they are part of the family for 10 -15 years.

>> a good one with no inbred health problems will save you that much over the years

Yep, that's a BIG plus.

>>Never had the same breed twice in a row

Neither have we funnily enough, had a Cocker, Doberman, G/Shep, and loads of Battersea jobs :)

Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - Alanovich
Not on your Nelly, Gospodin Sobaka.

Mongrels every time (which includes Jack Russells).
>>Gospodin Sobaka

Czech Mate!
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - madf
£750 for summat which could end up in a Chinese? An expensive way to foul pavements.

No thanks..

A dog just takes its owner(s) for walks.. more fools they :-)
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - Zero
Its about the going rate for a good pedigree puppy. Fifi (pure bred kennel club registered labrador retriever) cost 600 pounds out the womb and that was 14.5 years ago.

As for mongrels, yes you can't beat a mongrel for good health and longevity. Next come dogs bred for working or working trials (fifi comes from a long line of field trials champions) and right down the bottom of the pack are dogs bred for showing where all that counts is the way it looks till its 6 years old.

Fifi might make 15, but she is going to kark it some time this year, but even so that is real old for a lab. Weight is the killer, I like to keep dogs at what I call hunting weight. Run your hands down the flanks and you can easily feel the ribs, and I want to see some defined muscle in the shoulders and thighs.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 2 Jan 14 at 12:32
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - legacylad
I have a Lakeland Terrier X. Bought from a keeper on the Bolton Abbey Devonshire Estate 9 years ago. I think I paid £150. I saw his parents, but his legs outgrew his body and he has turned into a little beauty. Very feisty when young, but growing softer in middle age. Cracking terriers. His ball fixation is strange, as he carries one everywhere!
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - Roger.
I might well pay that NOT to have a dog!
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - Westpig
>> His ball fixation is strange, as
>> he carries one everywhere!
>>

What happened to the other one?
>> I
>> like to keep dogs at what I call hunting weight. Run your hands down the
>> flanks and you can easily feel the ribs, and I want to see some defined
>> muscle in the shoulders and thighs.

Very much this. Our Jack Russ is about to turn 15 and is in rude health, still often mistaken for a pup. Fed only on Aldi or Lidl's chicken and vegetable dry cereal-based food. Happy as Larry and rarely in the vets. I reckon another three years or so for her.
>>Fifi might make 15, but she is going to kark it some time this year

You could try MSM as a last resort, not from this Co. in particular, Amazon sell it too, I used to buy it loose in 1kg bags and take it by the tbsp., but I don't need it anymore, I'd give Fifi the maximum dose, but build up to it slowly.

www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/msm-for-dogs.html#functions
Fifi is currently on 1000mg fish oil daily, 2g Seraquin (Glucosamine and Chondroitin) daily, both cheap because both non prescription commercially available. Trying her on prednisolone but being steroid based the personality change s not very nice. Had to stop that as she is currently on my stash of Rimadyl because she twisted a front wrist the other day.

I have a set criteria for fifi. 1/ She must be happy 2/we must be happy to have her around, 3/she must be clean around the house 4/vet-medication bills are capped at 60 quid a month.

the clincher is 3 - if 3 fails 2 and 1 clearly come into play, so its the big needle.

I have found a good pragmatic vet and she and I agree we are, in effect, managing end of life. But not quite as brutally as the Liverpool Pathway care plan!
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 3 Jan 14 at 08:16
Yep, I can't argue with that regime.

Awful weather here!

Just saying :)
>> I have a set criteria for fifi. 1/ She must be happy 2/we must be
>> happy to have her around, 3/she must be clean around the house 4/vet-medication bills are
>> capped at 60 quid a month.
>>
>> the clincher is 3 - if 3 fails 2 and 1 clearly come into play,
>> so its the big needle.

Not sure of your logic.

If 3 happens, she might enjoy crapping on your carpet, so 1, might not come in to play. You obviously wouldn't appreciate it, but you're not the one going down to the vet.

I am playing devil's advocate I know.
>> I am playing devil's advocate I know.

A clean dog is distressed and unhappy by crapping and peeing in its bed and then lying in it. As you would be I guess, and I'll happily send you down the vet for the needle when you do.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 3 Jan 14 at 16:41
>> A clean dog is distressed and unhappy by crapping and peeing in its bed and
>> then lying in it.

Ah..but there's a difference between crapping/peeing all over one's bed..and nipping over to the door and coiling one out, because you can't wait for dad to get home.
>> >> A clean dog is distressed and unhappy by crapping and peeing in its bed
>> and
>> >> then lying in it.
>>
>> Ah..but there's a difference between crapping/peeing all over one's bed..and nipping over to the door
>> and coiling one out, because you can't wait for dad to get home.

either way gets you the needle.
>> I am playing devil's advocate I know.
>>

My old dog (that made it to 17.5), come the end couldn't make it through the night or when we were both at work without weeing....so I bought some plastic sheeting and put towels down each day....

...in hindsight I left 'the decision' too long.

I had a man in every month for many months with a carpet cleaner, because the dog had never been shut in anywhere and we didn't want to start locking her in the utility room and the towels/sheets only worked so far..

...even he said to me "I'm not being funny mate, I'm happy to keep coming and cleaning your carpets and you're helping to pay my mortgage, but, if it was me the dog would have to go".

Trouble was, every time I psyched myself up to do it, I'd find her on her back scratching herself looking like a puppy with no care in the world, or looking at me wagging her tail.

>> Trouble was, every time I psyched myself up to do it, I'd find her on
>> her back scratching herself looking like a puppy with no care in the world, or
>> looking at me wagging her tail.

Its not going to be easy, and I am going got bawl my bloody eyes out, but it will get done.
To answer your question...."no".

We'll be in the market for a dog soon, as a 12.5 year old springer spaniel had to be put down a couple of months back and although his sister is still with us, she is at the vet every fortnight and I can't see it being long before she visits the grim reaper as well.

We won't be spending anything like that amount for a replacement.

My old 'bitza' lived to 17.5 and was rarely at the vet...that's what we'll have next time.
I know someone who paid double that for a pair of puppies....
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - borasport
>> I know someone who paid double that for a pair of puppies....
>>

Did they have pink noses ?
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - borasport
If we were to have a dog it would be down to the nearest rescue centre for a young dog for us, but I can understand why D might not want to go down that route - shouldn't stopping getting an 'allsorts' puppy elsewhere though

both sets of in-laws have dogs, all of which have had some sort of mixed heritage, and two of which have been rescue dogs and have proven to be very good family dogs

My understanding was that pedigree hounds are much more susceptible to illness and ailments - is that the case ? - may be something for Dog to bear in mind
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - Robbie34
Actually, I have just paid £750 for a Golden Cocker Spaniel puppy. I will have had him two weeks on Saturday when he'll be ten weeks old.

i177.photobucket.com/albums/w231/Robbie34_photo/IMG_1972.jpg
Last edited by: Robbie34 on Thu 2 Jan 14 at 13:32
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - Armel Coussine
No.
>> Fifi might make 15, but she is going to kark it some time this year

That's a shame, but I understand your reasons.

>>Run your hands down the flanks and you can easily feel the ribs, and I want to see some defined muscle in the shoulders and thighs.

Sounds just like Milo, swmbi calls him chicken legs though!

>>Very feisty when young, but growing softer in middle age

He's name will be Floyd, as in go get em and I sent the missus an email headed Feisty Floyd :)

>>My understanding was that pedigree hounds are much more susceptible to illness and ailments - is that the case ?

Good point, especially if they are inbred, I'll have to check that out as far as I can.

>>i177.photobucket.com/albums/w231/Robbie34_photo/IMG_1972.jpg

Nice one Robbie, we had an orange & white roan called, um, Marmalade :(

I also have an Orange Roan called Henry. Here with Jamie.

i177.photobucket.com/albums/w231/Robbie34_photo/IMG_1959.jpg
Next dog won't be a puppy. There are too many dogs needing to be rehomed, it makes buying a pup morally wrong almost.
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - Fenlander
>>>it makes buying a pup morally wrong almost.

There's a huge "almost" there.

We have only had 3 dogs in our lifetime, 2 of one breed and 1 of another but all the same group (Spitz). We buy them as puppies, the current one was around £500 10yrs ago and I'd expect his replacement to be £750+.

We choose the breed knowing their character traits so they will suit our needs and lifestyle then take total responsibility for their whole life.

That makes the choice morally right compared with so many flawed decisions made by others who end up with the wrong dog or a rescue one with hard to manage existing hangups.

I'm happy to pay £500-£750 for a puppy of a rare breed such as ours but always feel there's something not quite right when an owner in the village is selling home bred puppies of plentiful breeds such as labradors for £400-£600.

>> There's a huge "almost" there.
>>
>> We have only had 3 dogs in our lifetime, 2 of one breed and 1
>> of another but all the same group (Spitz). We buy them as puppies, the current
>> one was around £500 10yrs ago and I'd expect his replacement to be £750+.
>>
>> We choose the breed knowing their character traits so they will suit our needs and
>> lifestyle then take total responsibility for their whole life.
>>
>> That makes the choice morally right compared with so many flawed decisions made by others
>> who end up with the wrong dog or a rescue one with hard to manage
>> existing hangups.

The huge almost comes to play, I know of many spitzes, miniature and large, in need of rehoming. They really are not that rare.
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - Dulwich Estate
OK - it's tin hat time.

Having got to an age when the sprogs have (theoretically *) left home, (* the excuses for week-end visits get more original week by week), the last thing I want in life is more responsibility and more ties.

I'm currently free to come and go as I please and health permitting this will go on for a while.

Why burden yourself with a mutt ? What are the benefits ? Is it a need for love and affection ?

Although I think it's a reasonable question, the reinforced helmet is on and the sand bags are in place.
Burglar alarm, DE.
>> Why burden yourself with a mutt ?

Its no burden. In fact we built a bit of a lifestyle around the dog. Lots of good long walks we maybe might not have done, A week away each year in a new part of the UK in a dog friendly cottage, seeing places we might not have done. Its not stopped us going out for the day, for the night or away for a week or three (mind I am lucky. I have an exceptionally well behaved clean content dog who can be left at home for 10 hours at a time, and good enough to leave with family or friends while we are away)

>>What are the benefits ? Is it a
>> need for love and affection ?

I have no need for love and affection, but they provide both in spades along with a send load of empathy. They are funny, can be exciting, they are company, they are interesting, engaging and some of them are safety.

>
>> Although I think it's a reasonable question, the reinforced helmet is on and the sand
>> bags are in place.
>>
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 2 Jan 14 at 15:02
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiEPb36mSq0
>>
Why burden yourself with a mutt ? What are the benefits ? Is it a need for love and affection ?

I've always had a dog, Dulwich, since I was 8 more or less, I like to go walking and a dog is someone/thing to holler at if the missus isn't with me :)

It's not really about love and affection, especially with my R/Ridgeback as he is more of a loner than any human I've ever met although, sure, dogs (and cats) do give love & affection to their owners but, I 'take on board' the bit about being free to come and go as you please.
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - Pat
>>Why burden yourself with a mutt ? What are the benefits ? <<

Because taken as a whole, animals are far nicer than people.

They don't judge you, are faithful, love you unconditionally and more important, don't give you scowly faces because they haven't the nerve to speak their minds!

Pat
:+)
>> >>Why burden yourself with a mutt ? What are the benefits ? <<
>>
>> Because taken as a whole, animals are far nicer than people.
>>
>> They don't judge you, are faithful, love you unconditionally and more important, don't give you
>> scowly faces because they haven't the nerve to speak their minds!
>>
>> Pat

Couldn't agree more. I can't remember not having a dog, although as a kid we had mongrels. The last mongrel we had was a puppy given to me by one of my customers when I was a paper boy. Since then I have had a Beagle and five Cocker Spaniels.

Cockers are lovely natured, soft dogs that dote on their owners.
>> and more important, don't give you
>> scowly faces because they haven't the nerve to speak their minds!

That was me..and just because I've always had an inappropriate humour.
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - No FM2R
I suspect that the whole scowly face / thumbs up statistics make amusing reading.

I bet that knowing who gave one or other, and then watching the ensuing denials or silence causes the odd chuckle.
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - Pat
In that case you're forgiven....this time only!

Pat
Not trying to make them special as such Zero but in this large village our Spitz is the only known one of his breed. There are probably hundreds of labs, GSDs, staffs, collies etc etc. So by that judgement a puppy of our breed is far harder to find than the others and by the laws of supply and demand might justify the high price.

Regarding rehoming of course every breed is represented for a variety of reasons but we always choose a dog that is known to be suitable for a non-working house dwelling life. That alone makes them less likely to be seen on the 2nd hand circuit.

If you take an unbiased example searching on the RSPCA rehome website within 50mls of here brings up 28 staff/mastiff/bulldog types, 11 GSD/lab/lurch/spaniel/terrier types and 2 Husky/Akitas. So about 5% Spitz representation and as usual the large ones that are known to need careful ownership. And of the 556 dogs available for rehoming nationally by the RSPCA ther are none of either breed we've owned.

Just saying...
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 2 Jan 14 at 15:04
Ok, well to put it in perspective, at one time less than 5 miles away from your old house, was a lady who had over 50 of the things needing rehoming.
Hah ha I knew Eddie (I assume it was Eddie). She did have loads but she was a dog nutter and very few were actually for rehoming.
>> Hah ha I knew Eddie (I assume it was Eddie). She did have loads but
>> she was a dog nutter and very few were actually for rehoming.

Yes it was Eddie, and yes they did when she got thrown out.
Yes we were amazed the landlord ever put up with that house being overrun like it was. I've met "animal lovers" like her before where they can't see that they are doing the very thing they say they are against.

One of the most active local/national anti-hunt and animal rights women living in Cambridgeshire during the 80s kept and bred dogs in terrible conditions... also "rescued" ponies which she put in rented fields and then left them without proper fencing, care and food/water.
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - zookeeper
if you cant afford the dog then you probably cant afford the vet bills
The burglar alarm, safety - and of course guide dog bit I can understand. But it's still a helluva lot of looking after and burden in my view. A bit like kids really - after 23+ ish years I have had enough and need "me time".

This is not a rehearsal for life, it's the real thing with no repeats or replays and it can't be too long until it's all over. P.S. a good tip for Rattle too.
>>>I have had enough and need "me time".

If you are of a certain character me time also includes others and animals.
A dog is "me" time. In fact it opened lots of doors for "me"
Nah ! Not for me.

However: www.johnlewis.com/east-of-india-time-to-drink-sign/p231565588?sku=231565588&s_afcid=af_102010&awc=1203_1388676329_0228b5beaffdf0bc48bf6929e9ada940
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - Armel Coussine
I like nice sunny-natured dogs, but the damn things tie you down. For some years I did work that often required me to leave at a moment's notice, sometimes for weeks at a time. I just don't want all that hassle every time I want to go somewhere for a day or two.

Herself can't abide dogs. It's a bit odd of her but there it is.
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - Old Navy
Dogs sound a bit like cars, you pay for the badge. :-)
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - Manatee
And you should avoid low profile ones. Those Dachshunds have all sorts of problems.
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - Baz
We paid just under £500 for our KC registered black lab, 3.5 years ago. There's no logical basis for having him but he has provided a huge amount of companionship, fun, interest and got us all out walking/jogging much more than I thought possible. He can be a PITA of course but overall, I'd not be without him and can't see myself without a dog in future. We have Argos pet insurance which costs us £10 a month and has paid out when he damaged a front leg. We holiday for 2 weeks abroad each year and he's quite happy in local kennels. Yes, it costs money, but not excessive in the big scheme of things and compared to the unquantifiable emotional and mental relaxation he provides.
I have several friends who would never have a dog. Numerous reasons. They don't like dogs. Too tying. Too expensive...food, vet bills, kennels. I fully understand their reasons.
'My' dog has lived with my Mum since I bought him 9 years ago. Only a mile away so I see him several times a week. She is 86yo, been widowed almost 40 years, and gives her a reason to get up on a morning. Two walks a day, albeit short if lashing down. She takes him shopping, but most importantly, she gets to stop and talk to people who ask her what breed he is etc..priceless social interaction for an elderly person, plus the physical benefit of gentle exercise.
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - MJW1994
We only have rescue dogs, many barking for good homes.
>> in the big scheme of things and compared to the unquantifiable emotional and mental relaxation he provides.

>>she gets to stop and talk to people who ask her what breed he is etc..priceless social interaction for an elderly person, plus the physical benefit of gentle exercise.

£750? ... seems cheap really - for what you get in return.
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - Ted

We had dogs since getting married in '69. Cocker, Beagle, Springer then 2 Border Terriers.

The Beagle didn't stay long...it didn't want to be involved with the family and I re-homed it with a Beagle pack in Cheshire. Since the Borders passed on we made the decision not to have more dogs. Although we took all the dogs in the caravan, most sites made you keep dogs on the lead which was a nuisance both for them and us. You were restricted in places and cafes to visit.

This weekend we're looking after 9 yr old G.Daughter and Ollie the Cuban terrier so that'l be nice for a change.

By the way, just looking at the clock, I'm not too late to wish many happy returns of the day to the Pug ! I'll not grass your age up, Rob.

HO
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - smokie
"most sites made you keep dogs on the lead which was a nuisance both for them and us. You were restricted in places and cafes to visit."

I don't see a problem with this, some people see dogs as a nuisance. Now, if you could also get people to keep their kids on a lead in public we'd be getting somewhere... :-)
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - Duncan
>> "most sites made you keep dogs on the lead which was a nuisance both for
>> them and us. You were restricted in places and cafes to visit."
>>
>> I don't see a problem with this, some people see dogs as a nuisance. Now,
>> if you could also get people to keep their kids on a lead in public
>> we'd be getting somewhere... :-)
>>

To complete the picture, if we could get certain adults put on leads, that would make life rather more pleasant for those of a civilised nature.
>> To complete the picture, if we could get certain adults put on leads, that would
>> make life rather more pleasant for those of a civilised nature.

Its much easier just to avoid the camp sites called Weatherspoons or Aldi.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 3 Jan 14 at 08:27
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - Mapmaker
£750 for a terrier?! You got to be having us on. They're £50 from a man in the pub. Or £150 if you want to get to see them not eating the children.
£800 for a lady one ... £100 when booking, £300 when born, and the remainder when one collects the puppy at eight weeks old.

:o)
 Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - No FM2R
Why is it £750 for a puppy?

Is it just supply & demand? Although in that case I'm a little surprised that it doesn't re-balance as people see opportunities.

Or is it that bunch of scumbags at the Kennel Club controlling it somehow?

Surely it doesn't actually cost £750 to raise a puppy to 16wks or whatever it is?
>> Or is it that bunch of scumbags at the Kennel Club controlling it somehow?

They don't control pricing. Directly that is. Rules, regulations and registering costs adds a bit.

>> Surely it doesn't actually cost £750 to raise a puppy to 16wks or whatever it
>> is?

Let me give you an example where I have been involved with a bit of Malinois breeding and training.

you pay (lets say) 750 quid for a bitch pup. you have to keep it, feed it, insure it, and train it(you need to go to clubs and get a series of show trial tickets (qualifications) for three years before you can think about getting a good price for the pups. so we are up to about 3000 quid minimum so far. You need to pay 750 quid to get the bitch covered (plus costs) so we are up to 3750 quid.

Bitch gets pregnant, drops 6 pups sold at 750 quid each = 4500 - 3750 = 750 quid for three years work.

However, next year costs go down to 1000 quid, bitch drops 6, 3500 quid for a years work.

and the year after etc.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 3 Jan 14 at 20:06
Is it normal to cough up 100 quid as a deposit before you've even set eyes on the litter?

Spose I want a black & tan, pay £100 dep. and all the pups are buff coloured??
>> Is it normal to cough up 100 quid as a deposit before you've even set
>> eyes on the litter?
>>
>> Spose I want a black & tan, pay £100 dep. and all the pups are
>> buff coloured??

You can't specify sex or colour up front, know one knows what they are.
Okey dokey.
There are also a number of health tests that the parent dogs should undergo to ensure the best chances of healthy puppies. My dogs came from KC Accredited Breeders, so I know they won't suffer from hip dysplasia and dry eye, to name a couple of inherited health issues. There are also a few other tests, and the costs of having these done mounts up. The pups are also checked by a vet and wormed on a regular basis until they are eight weeks old. They will also be microchipped, so costs to the breeder mount up.

You can get Cocker Spaniels a lot cheaper from breeders who don't abide by the KC standards, but I wouldn't even consider one.
>>You can get Cocker Spaniels a lot cheaper from breeders who don't abide by the KC standards, but I wouldn't even consider one

Bit like buying a used car from a dodgy car front = caveat emptor!

I don't like the idea of paying £100 deposit on a dog that hasn't been born yet though, but I suppose they have to do that to deter the timewasters.
>> >>You can get Cocker Spaniels a lot cheaper from breeders who don't abide by the
>> KC standards, but I wouldn't even consider one
>>
>> Bit like buying a used car from a dodgy car front = caveat emptor!
>>
>> I don't like the idea of paying £100 deposit on a dog that hasn't been
>> born yet though, but I suppose they have to do that to deter the timewasters.

Yes they do. I doesn't happen when the breeder knows you, sometimes you reserve a pup before the bitch is covered if you know who the dog is going to be. Cant pay 100 quid then - cos sometimes nothing happens!

And just because the Breeder is KC registered and the bitch or dog certified free from congenital defects, is no guarantee that your pup will not suffer from them. Certificate forgery is rife and endemic in the world of dog breeding, the KC notably lack in checking (I know first hand examples of that happening) and sometimes mother nature helps out when defects skip generations and suddenly reappear down the line - Epilepsy is natures favourite conjuring trick there
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 4 Jan 14 at 11:37
meant to add

The only way to be sure of getting a good pedigree pup is to know the breeder, and have experience of the Dog and bitch involved. Even then, its not guaranteed - the pedigree gene pool is just too small to be sure of that.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 4 Jan 14 at 11:41
"And just because the Breeder is KC registered and the bitch or dog certified free from congenital defects, is no guarantee that your pup will not suffer from them. Certificate forgery is rife and endemic in the world of dog breeding, the KC notably lack in checking (I know first hand examples of that happening)"

Not so. If you do have first hand knowledge then you should know that Accredited Breeders are visited by representatives of the Kennel Club and their premises inspected. The Kennel Club testifies to the authenticity of this. The laboratories that carry out testing are government approved and results have to be submitted and checked by the Kennel Club.

If you are going to buy a pedigree dog you can check the breeders credentials with the Kennel Club. If the pups have not been registered you are taking a chance buying one. You can also check if the breeder is accredited by the Kennel Club.

Epilepsy is idiopathic and is not genetically inherited.
Last edited by: Robbie34 on Sat 4 Jan 14 at 12:08
>> "And just because the Breeder is KC registered and the bitch or dog certified free
>> from congenital defects, is no guarantee that your pup will not suffer from them. Certificate
>> forgery is rife and endemic in the world of dog breeding, the KC notably lack
>> in checking (I know first hand examples of that happening)"
>>
>> Not so. If you do have first hand knowledge

I do and it is so. Testing means dick when the paperwork is forged I have first hand knowledge - Yes I have done it and got away with it. So have many breeders I know. The most crooked people on earth are dog breeders.

And some breeds are genetically disposed to epilepsy.

Last edited by: Zero on Sat 4 Jan 14 at 12:15
Testing means dick when the paperwork is forged I
>> have first hand knowledge - Yes I have done it and got away with it.

How come, a few more ££££?
In this case, no. It was to get a dog into a trial. And to do so it had to have a fake pedigree, (that got lodged with the KC) and fake vet clearance (again lodged with the KC)

Once all that was done It would have been possible to have bred the bitch with a whole fake medical clearance and new pedigree line.

The KC is useless.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 4 Jan 14 at 12:24
Ah right ta. When we got ours earlier in the year I can't say I took a great deal of interest in the KC paperwork. I didn't really put a great deal of faith in it, nor do I really know the ins and outs of the KC. Thankfully the OH and her dad knew the breeder from shooting and his dogs were always good workers. The recommendation and the fact he was known meant alot more than some paperwork.

>> of the KC. Thankfully the OH and her dad knew the breeder from shooting and
>> his dogs were always good workers. The recommendation and the fact he was known meant
>> alot more than some paperwork.

Absolutely.
As a self confessed forger you have little credibility with your argument. You really are taking chances forging certificates from veterinary surgeons and laboratories.

Where is the medical evidence that Epilepsy is not idiopathic? Perhaps you'll forge that.

Would you pay £750 for a puppy? - Manatee
I know sod all about dogs or epilepsy, save I want neither, but the literal meaning of idiopathic seems to be spontaneous/of unknown cause. But then there's this - in relation to epilepsy -

Epilepsy is called ‘idiopathic’ when it is thought to be due to a genetic tendency (which could have been inherited from one or both parents) or due to a change that happens in the person's genes before they are born.

So it seems its thought to be genetic, presumably because there is familial link and some 'breeds' of wolf are more prone than others.

Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 4 Jan 14 at 13:03
I might just run this past the Kennel Club and see their response.

Personally, I don't see how you can create a pedigree and then have it registered with the KC. The sire and dam of the dog would have to be registered with the KC as would their respective owners. The KC would check these on their database. Indeed, before you could forge the pedigree, you would need the registration details from the breeder before you could register the dog in your name.

You may be able fool a small time regional club, but you certainly could not fool the KC with a fictitious pedigree certificate.
Idiopathic is an adjective used primarily in medicine meaning arising spontaneously or from an obscure or unknown cause. Some congenital conditions are idiopathic, and sometimes the word "congenital" is used synonymously with "idiopathic"; but careful usage prefers to reserve the word "congenital" for conditions to which the literal sense of the word applies.

There is absolutely no evidence that Epilepsy is congenital.
>> Idiopathic is an adjective used primarily in medicine meaning arising spontaneously or from an obscure
>> or unknown cause. Some congenital conditions are idiopathic, and sometimes the word "congenital" is used
>> synonymously with "idiopathic"; but careful usage prefers to reserve the word "congenital" for conditions to
>> which the literal sense of the word applies.
>>
>> There is absolutely no evidence that Epilepsy is congenital.

If you say so Robbie. Let it be so.
>> I might just run this past the Kennel Club and see their response.
>>
>> Personally, I don't see how you can create a pedigree and then have it registered
>> with the KC. The sire and dam of the dog would have to be registered
>> with the KC as would their respective owners. The KC would check these on their
>> database. Indeed, before you could forge the pedigree, you would need the registration details from
>> the breeder before you could register the dog in your name.
>>
>> You may be able fool a small time regional club, but you certainly could not
>> fool the KC with a fictitious pedigree certificate.

I'm sure your right Robbie, you tell the Kennel Club, they will deny it happens and tell you its impossible and you can be happy again safe in the knowledge I am a liar. I mean your strategy has made sure you have not had any dogs with problems hasn't it, so you do it the way you know best.

Me, I will tell anyone that doesn't know as much as you, that that paperwork is meaningless, and knowing the breeder and the dogs involved is the best way to buy a pup, pedigree or not. Never Ever buy a pup from a breeder where you don't have a personal recommendation you trust. (knowing one of the previous litters is a good start)

And lets leave it there shall we, you will be happy and I am happy and the readership can make up its own mind with two points of view.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 4 Jan 14 at 13:15
>> As a self confessed forger you have little credibility with your argument. You really are
>> taking chances forging certificates from veterinary surgeons and laboratories.

And there is the rub. I wasn't taking chances, and nor do the breeders the chances of getting caught were miniscule, and penalties even less. Thats why it happens. And to be honest, if it didn't happen the breed gene pool would be a complete disaster as opposed to a partial one.

Like anything, testimonials can obviously be faked, but you must read the ones on the bottom LH side of the site I posted in the OP - I reckon they are 99.9% genuine.

www.lakeland-terrier.org/
Such sites are very useful and you can check them out more thoroughly when you visit.

This is where I got Jamie. www.kynacockers.co.uk/index.html
>>This is where I got Jamie. www.kynacockers.co.uk/index.html

Excellent kennels - better than some peoples homes :)

This is the address of the Kelda Lakelands, who don't seem to be on the KC assured breeder scheme: goo.gl/maps/hnUFE

They also have CCTV in every area of the kennels so that they can keep an eye on the pups and mothers all of the time. They must have over twelve cameras around them. Whilst I was waiting I saw a big screen TV with a lot of views of the whole complex. Jamie was microchipped whilst I waited for him.
>>
>> They also have CCTV in every area of the kennels so that they can keep
>> an eye on the pups and mothers all of the time. They must have over
>> twelve cameras around them. Whilst I was waiting I saw a big screen TV with
>> a lot of views of the whole complex.

That's so that some dodgy sod from Cornwall doesn't drive up in a Subaru and have one away.
>> >>
>> >> They also have CCTV in every area of the kennels so that they can
>> keep
>> >> an eye on the pups and mothers all of the time. They must have
>> over
>> >> twelve cameras around them. Whilst I was waiting I saw a big screen TV
>> with
>> >> a lot of views of the whole complex.
>>
>> That's so that some dodgy sod from Cornwall doesn't drive up in a Subaru and
>> have one away.

Thats ok, I am just going to paint a mop head, as long as its the right colour he will buy it.
Only one Sarge?, got to make it worth my while if I'm going all that way!
Latest Forum Posts