Non-motoring > Childhood tech Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 16

Childhood tech - Crankcase
If you are of a certain age, which might exclude many I guess, then you will enjoy this article.

I had the Atari 2600 from the list, but none of the others.

The comments are also worth a read if you are into tech nostalgia.

forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2013/12/12/ten_tech_treats_of_christmas_past/
 Childhood tech - DP
My mate had a Big Trak. I remember two things about it:

1) Trying to recreate the TV ad where the Big Trak takes an apple on its trailer, stops at a given point, and tips the apple onto the floor, we discovered the tipper motor in the trailer didn't have the guts to lift a moderate sized Granny Smiths.

2) A set of contemporary zinc chloride batteries lasted all of 10 minutes.

Despite all this, it impressed me as a wide eyed 6 year old.
 Childhood tech - ....
I had a Casio fx-411 for my A-Levels which replaced a Sharp ELSIMATE EL-505.

Still got them both in my writing desk and they both still work.
 Childhood tech - Runfer D'Hills
I had ( still have somewhere ) a slide rule. Can't see why it wouldn't still work if I could remember how to use it.

I left school in 1976 and I'm pretty sure I've never since had the slightest need to use algebra. I shall attempt to continue that state of affairs indefinitely.
 Childhood tech - BiggerBadderDave
"Can't see why it wouldn't still work"

Needs charging Humph.
 Childhood tech - DP
>> I had ( still have somewhere ) a slide rule. Can't see why it wouldn't
>> still work if I could remember how to use it.

I found one in a drawer when clearing out the garage. A fairly substantial plastic one in a two piece case. No idea whose it was, or where it came from, but it went in the "dump" pile along with all the other stuff I had no current, or reasonable prospect of future use for.

Childhood tech - Roger.
Even though I passed GCE "O" level in maths, I found a slide rule difficult to fathom out.
I recall seeing a senior executive of the finance company for which I worked, had one of those round ones with a rotating action.
Electronic calculators came in shortly afterwards and I remember the puzzlement of trying to work out how the company issued machine in our branch was used!
In a previous job, I well remember an office full of comptometer operators clacking away. (On their machines!)
Last edited by: Roger on Sat 14 Dec 13 at 12:25
I reckon there is an age ( somewhere about the mid-40s at present ) most of those people currently above which can do simple arithmetic like adding up a column of figures or working out one number as a percentage of another quicker in their heads than those under that age bracket can do it on a calculator. Ask anyone under 40 ish to do it and they generally can't without concentrating really hard.

Conversely, don't ask me to do anything constructive with a play station handset. All I seem to be able to achieve with that is to make a little guy on the screen crouch or jump which seems to get him killed.

Childhood tech - DP
We used electronic calculators from teenage onwards (including for exams), but before I got to that, I had been taught times tables by rote and can still recall everything up to 12 x 12 instantly from memory, as well as do fairly simple arithmetic in my head.

My kids (8 and 6) are still learning their times tables by rote, which is somehow reassuring.
 Childhood tech - bathtub tom
Had to convert denary to hex and vice versa in a previous job. To reduce mistakes, two of us would it separately.

My pencil and paper was on a par with calculator for speed and accuracy.
 Childhood tech - Slidingpillar
I actually taught someone to use a slide rule. He's maybe 10 years younger than me and never used one.

Basic principle is simple and because you put the correct power of ten in when you've finished, I still have a good feeling of where the answer should come out.
 Childhood tech - No FM2R
I never liked slide rules. Log tables on the other hand...
s √ cabin = log cabin
 Childhood tech - madf
I still posses my log tables and slide rule and my first digital calculator (TI)- which no longer works.

Bring back comptometer operators I say..
 Childhood tech - Robin O'Reliant
I had a Ready Reckoner.
 Childhood tech - Dog
I had a Sinclair Microvision - more waste of money!
 Childhood tech - Fursty Ferret
>> s √ cabin = log cabin
>>

Integral of 1/cabin = log cabin + c, surely? Which is technically a houseboat.

3/10. See me.
Latest Forum Posts