One for ON - Ted
>> This'll get his juices flowing :)
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky1c_pF5qoc
>>

I bet he's got that as his door bell.

Ted
 One for ON - Old Navy
>> I bet he's got that as his door bell.
>>
>> Ted
>>

You lost that bet. Anyone making that racket deserves to get sunk.

Note the name of this evenings documentary. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 12 Dec 13 at 15:34
 One for ON - Focusless
>> Article on BBc site about life on a cold war sub:
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25019489

Wacker recalls ... attending Sunday "church" services in the fore-ends. Taken by an officer, the hymn For Those in Peril on the Sea was often sung by a congregation squashed in next to the torpedoes.
:o
 One for ON - Old Navy
An accurate description of life in a diesel submarine. I'm glad I moved on to the nuclear "Floating hotels" as the diesel dinosaurs called them. :-)
 One for ON - Old Navy
Don't forget that the second part of the "Silent war" documentary is on BBC2 at 9pm today.
 One for ON - Armel Coussine
I suppose as a former submariner ON you won't see Captain Johnnie Walker RN as a personal hero, but I've been reading the final chapters (alas) of Ben Wilson's excellent history of the Navy, in which Walker features as the most successful U-boat hunter of the second world war.

Now that nuclear-powered submarines are the only capital ships apart from aircraft carriers the whole nature of naval warfare has changed. I doubt if it's much more fun when push comes to shove, but your floating hotels are pretty amazing craft, unbelievably fast too (and apparently faster when fully immersed than on the surface).

On a related subject, a letter in today's comic from an old diplomat I think recalled stuffing the 'splendid figure' of the late King of Tonga down the forward hatch of what must have been a diesel submarine. I'd love to have been a passing kittiwake witnessing that.
 One for ON - Old Navy
>> I suppose as a former submariner ON you won't see Captain Johnnie Walker RN as
>> a personal hero,

At least he was on our side.

>> On a related subject, a letter in today's comic from an old diplomat I think
>> recalled stuffing the 'splendid figure' of the late King of Tonga down the forward hatch
>> of what must have been a diesel submarine. I'd love to have been a passing
>> kittiwake witnessing that.
>>

As a youngster I was in a submarine which visited Samarai Island off the coast of Papua New Guinea. The local dignitaries consisted of the tribal chiefs who had travelled for days to get to the island. They were an impressive sight in their ceremonial dress complete with painted skin, filed teeth, and bones through noses and ears. The height of technology (or fashion) was one guy who had a biro through his nose. The local Australian district officer (government official) told us that the story of the chiefs going into the iron fish would be passed down for generations. He also told us that cannibalism was still practiced in the remote areas these people came from, usually after violent tribal disputes.

These were the fun days before the Cold War got serious. :-)
 One for ON - Mapmaker
Walker's son was a submariner.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Parthian_(N75)

One for ON - Old Navy
I was not impressed by part 2 of the documentary, I assume (that can be fatal in a submarine) by the lack of comment that you lot weren't either.
Latest Forum Posts