Non-motoring > Control/Freezing of Energy Prices Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 15

Control/Freezing of Energy Prices - Meldrew
If the Government of the Day can't control the prices of goods in the supermarkets, for example and probably don't want to anyway, how do they think they can control or freeze the prices of gas and leccie? They could reduce the stupid Green levies in our bills or reduce the VAT on them but I guess that would breach some stupid EU regulation?
 Control/Freezing of Energy Prices - Zero

>> in our bills or reduce the VAT on them but I guess that would breach
>> some stupid EU regulation?

No
 Control/Freezing of Energy Prices - Armel Coussine
Governments can't control world energy spot market prices.

However they can buy long-term at fixed prices, and they can subsidise consumer prices in their own countries. Many do.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 29 Nov 13 at 19:40
 Control/Freezing of Energy Prices - Meldrew
Well that is a relief!
 Control/Freezing of Energy Prices - Lygonos
I think 5% is the lowest VAT rate they can apply, although I guess it could be zero-rated if they had the desire.
 Control/Freezing of Energy Prices - Dutchie
Think about this deal.The French and Chinese are building a new nuclear reactor in the UK. takes ten year to build.The reacor should last 35 years and the agreement is double the energie price we are paying now for this reactors energie output.

How not to do business in my opinion.The fifty pound saving wow less than a pound a week.

Governments have never taking the bull by the horn regarding energie,no good waiting until powerstations fall to bits.

Control/Freezing of Energy Prices - sooty123
The reacor should last 35 years and the agreement is
>> double the energie price we are paying now for this reactors energie output.

I think that is for the life of the reactor that's not bad. Think how much energy will be in 2050.
>>

>>
>> Governments have never taking the bull by the horn regarding energie,no good waiting until powerstations
>> fall to bits.

I agree with that, it's been at the bottom of the list for far too long. Now we are suffering from that non planning.
 Control/Freezing of Energy Prices - Roger.
order-order.com/2013/11/29/no10-confirms-energy-price-freeze-story-is-untrue/
 Control/Freezing of Energy Prices - Lygonos
Nuclear fuel is a fairly insignificant cost in the energy production process - building, running and decommissioning are the biggies I believe.

It makes long term cost planning a bit easier than fossil fuels.

And if they miscalculate the govt no doubt gets lumbered with the decom costs.
 Control/Freezing of Energy Prices - Cliff Pope
The important thing is to do something, even if it's the wrong thing. The only certainty from doing nothing is that the lights will go out.
 Control/Freezing of Energy Prices - MJW1994
More worrying is that these decisions are being made by politicians who will not be in power and accountable when the policies go live. I doubt the privileged cabinet worry too much about energy prices anyway. School fees possibly....
 Control/Freezing of Energy Prices - Old Navy
A politicians only long term planning is for their retirement on a fat pension. They don't give a stuff about the chaos they may leave behind them.
 Control/Freezing of Energy Prices - MJW1994
Just realised I will be able to vote next time in 2015. What a choice hnmm. My Mum votes Lib Dem but she fancies Nick Clegg, possibly explains it!
 Control/Freezing of Energy Prices - Zero
>> A politicians only long term planning is for their retirement on a fat pension. They
>> don't give a stuff about the chaos they may leave behind them.

Like you and me, they will be living in a blacked out country, so they do actually worry about it.

Surprisingly, (or not) out total consumption as a country has been falling, more or less in line with the generation capacity. It does not take long to build a gas or biomass power station, the trend is lots of smaller stations.

There is no real danger of the lights going out. You'll pay for it tho.
 Control/Freezing of Energy Prices - Roger.
Oh joy - fifty quid off our energy bills!
Oh dammit - fifty quid on my general tax!
The government giveth and the government taketh away.
 Control/Freezing of Energy Prices - Haywain
"Oh dammit - fifty quid on my general tax!"

Or, more likely, 60 quid with the additional £10 going towards setting up a new quango to administer it all :-(
Latest Forum Posts