Non-motoring > Wind turbines Green Issues
Thread Author: four wheels good... Replies: 3

Wind turbines - four wheels good...
Does anyone out there know why wind turbines are all (as far as I am aware) coloured white, whereas most other similar structures planted around the countryside are normally in less visible hues?

Several of these creations have popped up as individual units in several places near to us. One on a hillside about 7 miles away is clearly visible on a good day, a very large aerial tower on an adjacent hilltop, painted in a darker colour is definitely less easily seen so not such a blot on the landscape.

I appreciate that the turbines have the rotating blades which make the placing of an obstruction light on the highest point more difficult but surely not impossible. Plus there is the overall width of the structure. Is it for the safety of birds etc?

Possibly a silly question but hay-ho.
 Wind turbines - Mapmaker
They're an off-white I think; designed to blend with an off-white sky.
 Wind turbines - Focusless
Apparently it *is* to blend in:
www.vikingenergy.co.uk/your-questions-answered.asp#Q57
 Wind turbines - four wheels good...
Thank you for the replies. Most of the new turbines around here are either set on hillsides or in valleys, therefore their backgrounds are green or dark when seen from the normal angles, either fields or woodland, therefore being white makes them very visible. Only if seen from quite close would their background be sky.

These are not the massive turbines nor the very small ones, sort of mid-size.
Latest Forum Posts