Non-motoring > Cordless drills? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Haywain Replies: 15

Cordless drills? - Haywain
I bought a Skil 9.6v cordless drill some 15 years ago when we moved into our present house. Although the drill was relatively cheap at the time, it has given good service - but now the batteries are shot. I don't use a drill very often, it's only for diy work- but when I need one, I need one!

I'm currently being tempted by a DeWalt 18v drill reduced from £249 to £149 at Screwfix (it's showing on their website) and I just wonder if any of you chaps have any opinions of 'DeWalt' as a brand and the performance of Li-Ion batteries. For example, what is the likelihood of Li-Ion batteries still working in 10 years time?

Thanks H
 Cordless drills? - Runfer D'Hills
Can't say about the De Walt I'm afraid but for what it's worth, I've got a 12 year old well used Bosch 24V drill which still gives very good service. Want to say I bought it in a B&Q sale for about £100, but that was 12 years ago !
 Cordless drills? - R.P.
"you no be having a Sale ?"
 Cordless drills? - MJM
We've had a DeWalt battery drill in the workshop for about 10 years. It's been used and abused almost daily for drilling holes in wood, sheet metal etc and used as a screwdriver. I've even used it to tap holes. The batteries lasted for about 8 years until they cried enough and we bought some more genuine ones.
Apart from a few marks on it and a label peeling off it's as good as new. One of the best most reliable bits of kit I've used.
 Cordless drills? - crocks
I assume this is the one you are looking at.
www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-xr-dcd785c2sf-gb-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/22732

It looks like a great drill and the reviews are all good. And a three year guarantee is much better than some brands.

I have a ten-year-old DeWalt 12v and it has been good but one of the batteries died a few years ago. That was old technology but I don't know how much better the Li-ion batteries are.
"I assume this is the one you are looking at……………….."

Yes, that's the one - they have it on display in the local store; it feels solid but light, and it balances well in the hand. I'd also noticed the 5-star reviews and the 3-year guarantee. I think I'll bite the bullet - Mrs H approves!

We were just discussing the fact that every tiny job that I tackle develops into something ten times as big, and we end up surrounded by virtually every tool that I possess. I'm just in the process of replacing a touch-dimmer switch that has burned out ………. but the new one is slightly different design and so demands a deeper pattress box …….. but the new one has differently spaced mounting holes ……….. so the drill will have to be brought out, followed by a search for masonry bits and raw plugs and so on.
 Cordless drills? - madf
see: B&Q/

www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-tools/drills-drivers/hammer_drills/DeWalt-18V-1-5Ah-Li-Ion-Cordless-Combi-Drill-XR-13008707?skuId=13519410

cheaper.
 Cordless drills? - Fursty Ferret
Makita Li Ion from Screwfix.

Next question.
 Cordless drills? - RattleandSmoke
I have a Dewalt but it is a higher grade one with a metal gearbox etc. They seem to go for over £200 on Amazon now but I didn't pay that. I have had it for two years now and I use it on a weekly basis. It has had so much abuse and use and it is still going strong.

Worth every penny. I don't seem to have much luck with cheap power tools but I do have a 500W B&D jigsaw which is very good.

I think some of the mid range stuff you get low end quality at premium brand prices. You get what you pay for.

Makita is another very good brand too, but again I suspect the £99 specials from the sheds might not be the same quality as their higher end stuff.

"see: B&Q/ ………"

Thanks for that, I'll take a look on Wednesday when, hopefully I can use my Diamond 10% card!

The drill is by no means destined for 7 days a week professional usage.
Just to round this off…….

I called at the local B&Q this morning to peruse the drills and the DeWalt mentioned earlier was no longer on 'special' offer. My eye was caught by a very neat Makita 18v with 2x1.3Ah LiIon batteries for £99.98 complete with a canvas carry case. I understand that this one is made down to a price and the batteries are not compatible with other Makita kit - this doesn't bother me, though, as I don't have any other Makita stuff. As I was able to use my 10% diamond card, I bought a decent drill, sufficient for my needs for £90. The reviews for the drill look very good and, tbh, I don't need a £300 drill any more than my mate needs a £40k BMW for driving down to the golf club.

As the assistant struggled with the security wire passing through all the drill cases, then cursing the security tag, I asked him how anyone could possibly get away with such gear. He said "Oh, they just throw it over the fence to their mates". He said that he was outside one day when a Flymo came over the fence; he made reference to the 'caravan-dwellers'.
 Cordless drills? - madf
I bought one of these.. light and very small so ideal for tricky work..
www.bosch-professional.com/gb/en/gsr-10-8-2-li-23272-ocs-p/

My 14.4V Draper is still going perfectly but the 1.7AH battery - 5 years old - is slowly dying - and the cost of a replacement is £55 . I bought the Bosch - new but unboxed - with a full warranty for less than that!

Weight and torque comparisons :
Bosch 1.0Kg, Draper 2.25Kg
Bosch 30.0NM, Draper 12.5NM - maximum figures..
AFAICS, the batteries are the weak point of even the most beautifully engineered of cordless drills. I'm only an occasional user so for much of the time, the batteries aren't earning their keep, and slowly declining in vitality - a bit like me.

The problem is that when the batteries finally die, then the replacements are either unobtainable or fiendishly expensive. My own thoughts are that, although the original drill is supplied with two batteries, a single replacement would be adequate for my needs.
 Cordless drills? - Hacko
heard a builder say (few years ago) that you should keep batteries regularly recharged cos it helps em last longer .. no idea if it's true!
"……...no idea if it's true!"

Actually, that fits with what the chap said down at B&Q yesterday when I bough the drill i.e. don't keep the batteries in a 'drained-down' state - top them up every so often. I'm told that Li-Ion batteries will keep their charge for a long time, but I guess I'll have to remember to top them up every couple of months regardless of whether the tool is being used or not.

Has anyone come across a set of 'rules' on the internet describing the best way to care for all the various types of battery that are now available?
 Cordless drills? - madf
>> AFAICS, the batteries are the weak point of even the most beautifully engineered of cordless
>> drills. I'm only an occasional user so for much of the time, the batteries aren't
>> earning their keep, and slowly declining in vitality - a bit like me.
>>
>> The problem is that when the batteries finally die, then the replacements are either unobtainable
>> or fiendishly expensive. My own thoughts are that, although the original drill is supplied with
>> two batteries, a single replacement would be adequate for my needs.
>>

A modern Nicad battery - see my Draper above - has lasted 4 years of occasional use. Now dying.

LION batteries lose negligible charge over years. In 2007 I bought a LION powered screwdiver from Tesco - (reduced from £15 to £7). Very nasty.. buts still going strong.

I have only bought one battery (LION with the drill) but checked before I bought to ensure there is a plentiful supply of batteries on the market. And at reasonable price.

I found DeWalt, B&D, Makita and Bosch were OK for battery supplies. I purposely avoided another Draper (although they have a twin Lion 18V discounted for £90 odd. .www.uktoolcentre.co.uk/Shop/p~65893~Expert-18V-Cordless-Rotary-Drill-with-Two-Li~Ion-Batteries.html?Refid=googlePLA&gclid=CJmbr8a4zboCFQjKtAodLnwA8Q

My experiences of £50 odd for a new NICAD battery for the drill showed me the future problems.

A quick search on ebay shows if there is an aftermarket issue or not. (Makita and Bosch share some 10.8v designs and batteries..)
Last edited by: madf on Thu 7 Nov 13 at 12:06
Latest Forum Posts