Non-motoring > What should you do? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Haywain Replies: 12

What should you do? - Haywain
The local news featured an item about the public's lack of reaction to bicycle theft. In Cambridge, plain-clothes police officers had staged situations where they had blatantly approached chained-up bicycles in the street, cut the chains with bright yellow bolt croppers and rode away on the bikes. They were amazed that passing members of the public saw them and turned a blind eye.

As far as I could see, neither the news programme nor the police offered any advice on what you should do if you witnessed such a situation.

It's no good looking round for a policeman - they are never around when you need one. If you accost the thief, then you'll probably be knifed. If you take a photo on your mobile phone - who would you send it to?

When I'm fumbling through my pockets in town desperately trying to find the key to my cycle lock, the thought crosses my mind - 'Say I've lost the key and have to come back with bolt croppers ...... how would I explain what I was doing?' The answer appears to be that I wouldn't have to worry about anyone questioning me!
 Messages Author Date
 What should you do? new Haywain 10 Oct 13 08:37
 What should you do? new Cliff Pope 10 Oct 13 08:46
 What should you do? new Fenlander 10 Oct 13 09:05
 What should you do? new Slidingpillar 10 Oct 13 09:21
 What should you do? new SteelSpark 10 Oct 13 09:19
 What should you do? new helicopter 10 Oct 13 09:38
 What should you do? new VxFan 10 Oct 13 09:33
 What should you do? new Haywain 10 Oct 13 09:47
 What should you do? new Bromptonaut 10 Oct 13 10:24
 What should you do? new bathtub tom 10 Oct 13 10:51
 What should you do? new Runfer D'Hills 10 Oct 13 17:49