Non-motoring > What should you do? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Haywain Replies: 12

What should you do? - Runfer D'Hills
A few years ago, I was sitting with a colleague having something to eat one night in a pizza restaurant in the centre of London. At a table near us, which was in view of the window to the street, were a young German couple who were ready to pay and the young lady had, perhaps inadvisedly, taken her wallet out and laid it on the table ready to settle their bill.

Two young guys walked in and bold as brass went over to the young couple's table, snatched their wallet and made for the door. We witnessed this and indeed the shouts of protest from the victims.

Both my friend and I used to play a bit of rugby, and without discussing our next move, again perhaps inadvisedly took off after the robbers who by now had broken into a jog towards the door.

Well, anyway, suffice it to say we were sitting on them just outside the restaurant when the police arrived.

We were made to get in the back of a police car and were taken to some grotty interview room at the nick and we were left to hang around for nearly two hours before anyone came to take a statement, which was done in such a derisory manner as to be obvious that it represented nothing more than an inconvenience, after which we were basically chucked out the front door a couple of miles away from where we had been and wanted to be.

We hadn't finished our meal and the restaurant hadn't been paid.

We never did hear anything more about the incident. I'm still glad we did something about it though although the police made it clear, through much sighing and rolling of eyes they would have preferred that we hadn't bothered.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Fri 11 Oct 13 at 21:59
 Messages Author Date
 What should you do?  Haywain 10 Oct 13 08:37
 What should you do?  Cliff Pope 10 Oct 13 08:46
 What should you do?  Fenlander 10 Oct 13 09:05
 What should you do?  Slidingpillar 10 Oct 13 09:21
 What should you do?  SteelSpark 10 Oct 13 09:19
 What should you do?  helicopter 10 Oct 13 09:38
 What should you do?  VxFan 10 Oct 13 09:33
 What should you do?  Haywain 10 Oct 13 09:47
 What should you do?  Bromptonaut 10 Oct 13 10:24
 What should you do?  bathtub tom 10 Oct 13 10:51