Motoring Discussion > Qe2 Bridge closed, Mr Whippy makes money Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 11

Qe2 Bridge closed, Mr Whippy makes money - Zero
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23997420
 Qe2 Bridge closed, Mr Whippy makes money - R.P.
Last Saturday afternoon the queue wasn't too bad at all - however there was a sufficient back-log to hone up the filtering skills. A fully loaded GS isn't the easiest of beasts to filter through - and the view from the top is quite distracting. At least they let biked through for nothing. Hopefully bikers would have been allowed across during this hold-up.
 Qe2 Bridge closed, Mr Whippy makes money - Zero
Bikers immune from getting blown up by loonies then? Must be the ninja turtle style leathers they all now wear.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 6 Sep 13 at 23:35
Yeah.
 Qe2 Bridge closed, Mr Whippy makes money - rtj70
>> Hopefully bikers would have been allowed across during this hold-up.

Why? They were worried there was something like a bomb there.... I think it was fully closed - both bridge and tunnels.
 Qe2 Bridge closed, Mr Whippy makes money - Boxsterboy
Can anyone explain why bikers should go free?

Since the cost of construction was paid, the justification for keeping the charge was a semi-congestion charge (bonkers). If everyone rode bikes there would still be congestion, so where is the logic in exempting them? (bit the the Westminster parking charge argument a while back).
Probably because riders need to dismount to pay the toll - probably speeds stuff up - I used M6 Toll road on the way home, whilst the the £3.50 toll was well worth the money (I hit Birmingham at around 4.00pm) - it's an inconvenience to have to dismount etc. In Ireland last year there were loads of two Euro coins all over the road at the toll booth - some were harvested for later conversion to Guinness...
 Qe2 Bridge closed, Mr Whippy makes money - Runfer D'Hills
I used the M1 near Dublin only yesterday in fact. €1.90 was the toll which is a really inconvenient amount to lob in a basket. I imagine they get a lot of people chucking in €2.00 coins. Maybe that's the plan of course.
 Qe2 Bridge closed, Mr Whippy makes money - L'escargot
Margaret Thatcher invented soft-scoop ice-cream. tinyurl.com/62h39d5
 Qe2 Bridge closed, Mr Whippy makes money - Ted

As the Pug says...it's not easy for a biker. Our nearest is the Warburton bridge, It's 12p for a bike. You have to stop, knock it out of gear, take a glove off, wrestle with the Velcro pockets hoping your cash is in that side of your jacket, get the glove back on, back into gear and off. All for 12 piggin pees !

Meanwhile the queue behind you are at 100% frustration level. It's not as though the bridge crosses anything except a dried up river bed which hasn't seen water for over 100 yrs.

Bah !

Ted
 Qe2 Bridge closed, Mr Whippy makes money - Boxsterboy
Inconvenient for bikers? Poppycock! ALL drivers find the Toll inconvenient!
 Qe2 Bridge closed, Mr Whippy makes money - MD
Governments...you know...those folk IN POWER...............which should read Office!, reap enough revenue from us peasants and keeping traffic moving helps that aim. Why we should pay a toll or tax or whatever old ollox they choose to call it is beyond me.

M.
Latest Forum Posts