Non-motoring > What do people do on August Bank Holiday? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 76

What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - Armel Coussine
When they can't go to Carnival any more I mean, and have to make do with news clips saying it was colourful, with Plod rabbiting about how goddam safe it was despite the odd untoward incident... and can't even hear the scuttlebutt on how plod annoyed people, caused trouble and risked lives with capricious, gratuitous and misconceived crowd policing. So, an old geezer turned out to grass dahna sticks, what is he to do?

There's a local fête at a place known as the sandpit, with a now-disused (but maintained as a community centre) village school. It's quite good fun and I used to go there in pre-carnival days. Got drunk on Navy rum there on my 39th I remember, the dreaded big 4 hurtling over the horizon at me already... Everyone else went off there with the little girls. That fête has a really good wooden slide, assembled in place, down over this sandstone a long way through pine trees. You sit on a mat and the bottom is fairly rough, but painless if you roll or are an adult. Nippers adore it and I've just seen a phone video of my youngest descendant, a roly-poly little tough of 5, screaming like a train whistle with joy all the way down and doing a double back somersault at the bottom. Apparently she had lots of goes.

I was left in peace to remove clutter, objects, redundant books one can't quite bring oneself to get rid of just yet (we got a lot of those) and other excrement slowly into a rather unsuitable shed. But at least it will be possible to clean the floor in here once all that scheisse is out of the way.
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - R.P.
Not much - had a busy day yesterday - went to a local ironmongers (yes Ironmongers) to get some screws to finish off re-fitting the units after the Great Washing Machine Disaster - took the dogs for a walk (on leads as the Springers stitches and staples are still in place) - beautiful day here.
Far-away look, Homer Simpson voice: 'Ironmongers... Mmmmmmmm.'

There was a damn good one in Abergavenny last time I was there (ages ago). Gin traps, mole-killing devices, nails by the pound, whatever a rural dweller might need. Terrific place.

There's even one near here actually, sells lawn tractors and the like but has a shop a bit like that. Nails in plastic bags though. We get calor gas there. A proper country-town ironmonger, a bit suburban. Nice old-fashioned cats run it too.
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - Ambo
>>good one in Abergavenny last time I was there

This excellent ironmonger was also a good source of durable, cheap kitchenware as well but transformed itself into a more genteel furnishing emporium some years back.
>> transformed itself into a more genteel furnishing emporium some years back.

Bummer, some ghastly pushy modernising rural would-be yuppie ruining a perfectly good ironmonger. Or perhaps there aren't any rural dwellers left in the Welsh Marches and that's the sort of shop people want these days. What a depressing thought.
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - Zero

>> Ironmongers) to get some screws to finish off re-fitting the units after the Great Washing
>> Machine Disaster -

Perks up.

What great washing machine disaster?

(you best not be trying to big up a minor issue here)
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - Manatee
Hythe. White Hart. Shepherd Neame beers at £2 a pint, pizza. Very good.
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - RattleandSmoke
As usual on bank holidays my day was spent doing work on the flipping house. We have recently had new windows fitted, and we had to empty a corner of the room for the window. As there was nothing in the corner we noticed the floor had sunk by about 1 inch, and when you stood on it would sink another inch.

Spent the day propping up the joists and fitting new floorboards. Floor is now a lot better, the old joists were proped up by bits of rotting wood probably due to previous damp issues. It is amazing this house is still standing considering is almost 110 years old and it was build by a load of drunk labourers by the look of it!

When the window was fitted (by Ted's SIL) we soon realised the plaster on the window was blown, so he had to re plaster that wall. So it looks like the next job is to redecorate that entire room but the next job was supposed to be to replace the kitchen.

I think the next job is to have the boiler replaced, when I was down in the foundations I noticed a an old gas pipe which used to serve gas fires before we had central heating, it is old lead pipe which is not supported by anything but still live as far as I know. So when we get the boiler replaced we need to get this old pipe removed too.

I am very shattered now but it was so nice to spend a day not on computers or in a pub!
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Mon 26 Aug 13 at 20:08
Good God Sheikha you are making this gaff sound like one of your motors... don't let the builder take advantage just because he's the builder. Get Ted to rein him in.

Sounds like the sort of runaway building fuite-en-avant nightmare we all come to know eventually.
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - RattleandSmoke
The floor issue had nothing to with the window, it was just as I was measuring the recess for the new blinds that I was noticing just show spongy the floor was, so decided to lift the carpet, that is when I noticed how bad it it had sunk. Thankfully was a very simple problem to solve, cleared the air bricks while I was at it.

Before the window was fitted we had lots of stuff in that corner, so never actually noticed it had sunk.

All the back of the house is double glazed now, the loft is insulated and with a new boiler hopefully it will be an end to those massive gas bills.
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - Haywain
Four days, Friday through to Monday of good, social lunches have left me feeling a bit overweight; however, the high spot was seeing Snake Davis at the local (The Hunter) jazz club on Friday evening. Snake is a fabulous sax (and flute and whistle) session player and probably his best known piece is the sax solo on Take That's 'Million love songs'. The club was packed and the usual fare of hardcore modern jazz was lightened somewhat by Snake's melodic, jazz/funk/soul style of music and some warm patter between numbers. A lovely man and a radiant performer; give him a listen, you won't regret it.
Last edited by: Haywain on Mon 26 Aug 13 at 20:18
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - Dog
Had a lay in 'til 7am this morning, went for a nice walk o'er the hills with Mutley and the ole woman.

Spent the afternoon setting up neighbs new 37" Panasonic 3D LED TV, what she wants one of those for (at her age) I don't know.

Reason it took me soooo long to set up was, TV is Freeview, but she hasn't got an aerial, I tried using her donkeys years old Goodmans Freesat box (junk) but it isn't HD for one thing, and it only has scart sockets whereas the new TV is strictly HDMI.

So, I tried to flog her my old Humax Freesat HD box for 30 squid, which I've left with her for now or she'd have no telly.

The other bit of joy I had was when setting up the TV, it couldn't find any TV channels (autotune) after mucho scratching of head it turned out to be a previously poorly-fitted co-ax connector.

Funny ole life :)
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - Robin O'Reliant
Self employed.

What's a bank holiday?
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - MD
A Bank Holiday is any day including a Wet Wednesday to a Builder. Take it whilst it's there.......
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - bathtub tom
>> Self employed. Retired.
>> What's a bank holiday?
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - Dutchie
We are having a new bed delivered tomorrow.Took the old one apart needed a alan key to undo the frame.Found the right size after some searching in the shed.

Painted the skirting board and the bedroom door.Relaxed in the garden very warm,can't complain about this summer.
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - No FM2R
AC, why do you call him "Sheikha"? Or is he in fact a she?
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - Roger.
Shake Rattle & Roll!
DUH!
Sheikh & Sheikha are two different words, one feminine and the other masculine.

Duh, ficko.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 26 Aug 13 at 21:53
>> Sheikh & Sheikha are two different words, one feminine and the other masculine.

They are usually seen like that and so used. But as I explained to the Sheikh long ago, I was not trying to feminise him. 'Sheikha' is a courteous mode of address to a Sheikh-like elder in Zanzibar, usually male of course. I learned this from some Zanzibaris I used to know. Very lurid politics in those parts sometimes, phew...
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - Runfer D'Hills
Worked through Friday night into Saturday morning wee hours punctuated about 21.00 hrs by a late swim. Emailing to and from west coast America. Body boarded with son in Nth Wales Saturday day. Got back, ate something, walked dog and then did a mile or so in the pool again on Sat night ( mainly to get sea water out of ears.) Came back late, watched a bit of crap telly, hit the sack.

Got up late on Sunday, sat in traffic behind ruddy caravanists, finally got to forest, did a few circuits of the trails on the mountain bikes and some tricky stuff. Maybe 28-30 miles. Came home ( more caravanists in way ), walked dog, sparked up BBQ, fed family, back to pool for another late swim, came home, watched something rubbish on telly with wife called the "Mechanic" on some obscure channel like "4+1" which basically involves Jason Statham killing people including Donald Sutherland. Bed.

Lay in 'till half eight, went mountain biking again, same venue, different route. Lots of waddlers in forest. Managed not to run any down, so all good. Hot in forest, well, humid anyway. Came back, cut two lawns, walked dog, cleaned, oiled and stashed bikes. Ate something. Managed another swim.

Got a 580 mile round trip work drive tomorrow. Not particularly looking forward to that. Going to bed soon. Alarm set for 04.00.

Apart from that, nowt really.

What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - Bromptonaut
Life change point in morning. E-mailed Civil Service HR to accept my offer of voluntary redundancy after 35 years in harness. Last day of service is 30-11-13

Followed up with midday brunch of pancakes, bacon and sausage etc with Swmbo, Miss B and her B/F after he'd helped me take yesterday's half a ton of hedge trimmings to tip.

Rest spent on household faffing - lawn, rubbish etc followed by picking The Lad up from station after mate's party in Crewe and collecting pre ordered HDD for his failed laptop.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 26 Aug 13 at 22:08
>> Life change point in morning. E-mailed Civil Service HR to accept my offer of voluntary
>> redundancy after 35 years in harness. Last day of service is 30-11-13

And then you can say, sod the bank holiday, every day is one.

For example, tomorrow I am off to Margate to visit the Turner contemporary, and scoff some fish and chips on the front.
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - Manatee

>> For example, tomorrow I am off to Margate to visit the Turner contemporary, and scoff
>> some fish and chips on the front.

Possibility we will go there tomorrow - it's between there and Whitstable.
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - rtj70
And if I could get redundancy based on the Civil Service rules instead of what I am on... I'd go tomorrow if I could. But I'd hang on to next tax year because there's be lots of money coming my way and I'd want to minimise tax paid :-)

Best of luck in retirement.
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - Focusless
>> whereas the new TV is strictly HDMI.

Our 37" (2D) Panny doesn't have a scart socket in the TV itself, but it does have a separate scart socket dongle thing that plugs into the TV which you can plug scart plugs into. Definitely hasn't got one of those?
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - -
Been bone idle, finished a Le Carre always enjoyable, and started the latest Jack Reacher.

Cut grass before the rains return, took dog and SWM for a walk and we foraged a bucket of blackberries, ankles still a bit tender from the nettles getting soft in me dotage.

Had a wash and shave and off to bed in a tick, back to the grindstone tomorrow.
This is the telly: www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-L37ET5B-37-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B0079WKGCO
She paid £550 for it locally, reduced from 800 knicker, they reckon ;)

Nice telly I thought, ansome picture but, the sound was a bit thin, yes, I did notice a scart to HDMI thingamajig in the box, and I did indeedy try it, but the (what I assumed was) HDMI end wouldn't fit the TV's HDMI sockets for some strange reason.

I wasn't too bothered though tbh, b'cos the set top box wasn't HD, and what's the point of having an all-singing-all-dancing telly, if y'all go and connect it up to a Goodmans Freesat SD box :)
>> the (what I assumed was) HDMI end wouldn't fit the TV's HDMI sockets
>> for some strange reason.

If she does need to use it, on ours it goes into its own socket, facing down to the right of the aerial input.
Ah, that would explain it :)

I'll have a word with her later, a Humax Freesat HD box went for £35.69 + £5.20 PP last night, so I wouldn't be robbing her if I let her keep my one for £30.

But then she's got a couple of old Freesat SD boxes knocking about and she may well be happier keeping those.
>>If she does need to use it, on ours it goes into its own socket, facing down to the right of the aerial input

Thanks for that, Focus loss, it worked a treat with her old Goodmans Freesat SD box, I'll read TFM next time :)
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - Ted

Me an 'er went to the local plant nursery yesterday to get some more perennials for an area where the now removed Wendy house used to be. She watched a DVD in the evening which I wasn't interested in so I finished reading my autobiography of Professor Sir Keith Simpson. Got the one on Prof Sir Bernard Spilsbury to start next.

Today dawned for me at 0915, fresh coffee and out to put the new plants in according to the guvnor's instructions as to placing them. Had another coffee then got the hose on them...very hot. Sunglasses and Honda baseball cap on 'cos of the Sun in me eyes.

Got in the mood, saw the green bin was empty so had a bash at a couple of trees. The Eucalyptus at the front has been getting a bit big so I neatened that up. Managed not to injure any hiding Koala bears wiv me cutters. The smoke bush at the back got a dose too, so that's the bin full to the brim !

Son and partner with the two boys came for Sunday din-dins, Big shepherds pie with home made apple pie and ice cream to follow. 10 yr old went on the computer and 2 yr old wanted to see the trains. We enjoyed a pleasant half hour running a variety of trains for his delectation while he stood on a stool clutching his toy engine.

Still not got the Suzuki back from the garage yet, but no matter. Coped well for a couple of weeks with the Nissan and the EVO7.

Ted
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - zippy
It was down to the Old Town for me with a mate, found a good eatery, a cold beer or three and watch the world go by for a few hours.

What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - Fursty Ferret
Work?
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - Number_Cruncher
A happy and busy day here;

In the morning, I read and did a few example problems from a big book of hard sums for engineers that I'm slowly getting through.

In the afternoon, I replaced the ventilation fan in the bathroom - the new one nicely mounted on a new tile rather than being seated in a massive gob of grout as the old one was. In preparing my template, I showed Number_Nipper how to construct lines at right angles, and how to bisect angles - he enjoyed playing with the compasses afterwards, making patterns on his drawings.

SWMBO has been busily green fingered, and has also been baking a courgette cake.

I've also spent some time submitting a job application... I'm missing research (or, looked at the other way; am brassed off with students pestering me asking why they didn't get more marks for a dull piece of work - telling them the blunt truth is sometimes much too tempting!!)
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - legacylad
Blueberry pancakes with maple syrup. A bit disconcerting as I opened my last family sized pack of Krusteaz pancake mix. (Just add water, olive oil, a brisk whisk then into a good quality frying pan...then sprinkle with fresh sliced fruit, whatever is in season).
A quick 2 mile walk up the lane to meet a pal at 9am, then over various limestone pavements, across open access land avoiding the crowds, up Ingleborough, watch the hang gliders, spot buzzards, a few lizards, and 14 miles or so later arrive at Ribblehead.
A lift down the valley and into my local beer garden to sit in warm sunshine for a few hours rehydrating (dinner was poured) before the sun finally sets, watching the few remaining swallows/swifts perform their acrobatics whilst the football shirted sat inside watching the box. Their loss. Not a bad day overall. Despite the sunburnt face.
And, the winner is ...

"It was down to the Old Town for me with a mate, found a good eatery, a cold beer or three and watch the world go by for a few hours"

IMHO of course.
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - WillDeBeest
Good choice, Perro. Would be mine too as often as not.

But this year, with the Beestlings safely away with the in-laws, I took Mrs Beest to London for a treat. Wagner at the Proms (nearly five hours of it - silly, but plenty to talk about afterwards), nice hotel in Kensington, cracking French lunch on Monday, followed by a happy prowl through the expensive furniture shops of Brompton Road. Found about £12,000-worth of items that will complement our decor - one day.

Oh yes, and we caught an auditory and olefactory whiff of Carnival on the train home, just to bring us back to where AC began.
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - L'escargot
I went to the bank. but found it was shut because the staff were all on holiday.
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - L'escargot
After going to the bank and finding it was shut, I went to a barbeque and got bitten by insects. I'm working my way through this list of home remedies. tinyurl.com/mxd6aba
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 27 Aug 13 at 09:23
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - bathtub tom
Anthisan works for me.
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - Ambo
I read "Money" by Martin Amis. Loutish, like himself, but brilliant, and fizzing with energy, a story set in London and L.A. It reminded me of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" but with the hero's habits akin to some of those of the hero of "Leaving Las Vegas".
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - Alanovich
Reading Festival recovery day. Three days of proper music (on the whole), not some geezers bashing upturned dustbins in the same monotonous drone whilst everyone chokes on the fumes of knackered flatbeds with curtains dangling off the sides.
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - helicopter
Lazy long weekend...... it was very wet down our way on Saturday and Sunday....

Finished off the last of the Millenium trio of books by Stieg Larson..... recommended...

Phone call from young brother who had 5 balls on the lottery and won £2300.....

Picked up three grabber rakes that I ordered a while back from the garden centre .....

Shared a bottle of nice Merlot with SWMBO with dinner on Saturday , we picked it up in France when over there in April so a mental note to stock up there when we take the car over next week......

Made a good stab at the Telegraph crossword yesterday and went for a trip down the lanes to the coast ending up at Seaford with SWMBO and I having lunch in the Old Boot Inn.... lots of small flies around on the beach ... PITA really...

....and on to Birling Gap and Beachy Head.....sunroof open and windows down.....
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - Meldrew
I was in Somerset and on Staurday the town had an open Day/market in the Square. Crowning of the Carnival Queen (A po Faced sub teenager!) Town Crier and Mayor were around, excellent produce stalls, cheese, meat, pies and sausages, Morris Dancers, Mediaeval 5 piece orchestra playing, very good craft stalls, including a lady making excellent Murano look-alike glass, and a stall selling decorations made from driftwood, among others. Tea rooms and pub open all day.

Monday, went and had drinks with friends and an excellent lunch in a hotel local fresh food including scallops, sardines and asparagus, among others and good local cask ale.
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - MJW1994
Didn’t get off to a great start. Got home on Friday evening and Mum send me out almost immediately to pop around to Aunt’s house to take a present. I would normally have cycled since it’s only about three miles away but I took the car as I was short of time. The trip there is mainly lanes, in places it is narrow with not enough space for two vehicles. I expect you can tell where this is going… I met this Transit van and we came to a halt. He wasn’t going to reverse so I did, backing the car up against the verge. Unfortunately hidden in the long grass was a stone post and there was the sickening sound of plastic scrapping against something hard. Sod it. Rear corner of the bumper now has a rather nasty scrape down the side. Fortunately the metal panel escaped and the bumper alignment is fine. Anyway took it to a recommended bodyshop today and it will be £200, booked in for end of next week. Really narked off but you would never have known a post was lurking in the long grass.

Saturday and Sunday were just normal family days, playing football and tennis plus swimming with mates or brother. Later one of my mates I hadn’t seen for a few weeks popped around to show me his new (to him) car – a 2005 Seat Leon FR 150 diesel. We went for a drive, I was impressed with its stonking performance but less so with the noisy engine and hard ride.

Monday various youngsters (cousin’s kids plus their friends, ages 6 to 10) came around to swim in the pool, while I kept an eye on them. Then brother (almost 16) came up to me looking very embarrassed since he had put diesel in his quadbike, so we (well mostly me) spent quite a while draining the tank, bleeding through the pipes and dismantling the carb to clean things out. With fresh petrol and some Easystart it started although a bit rough and smoky for a while. We then changed the air filter and engine oil. My brother is a bright spark academically but can be quite entertaining at times with some of the daft things he does. Daft as a brush at times, dear lad.

And that was about it!
Cut the grass, trimmed the edges - had a nice long siesta!
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - Dave_
Took the 6 year old lad all the way out to Snetterton to watch the truck racing in the glorious all-day sunshine yesterday. We had a brilliant day, the very relaxed atmosphere meant that we spent the time between races wandering around the paddock talking to drivers and mechanics, and sitting the boy in the driving seat of one of the racers. Try doing that at the BTCC!

As well as a couple of dozen show'n'shine trucks there were a handful of fairground rides set up for the weekend. I've never had a go on the dodgems where so many cars continuously lapped the floor at full speed seemingly without making any contact; most of them were driven by lorry drivers which must have helped :)
Last edited by: Dave_TiD on Tue 27 Aug 13 at 21:56
Ah - Snetterton - memories - that's where I met my wife!
I was competing in a club saloon car race in my CooperS and a workmate of mine, acting as my mechanic, brought her along: I learnt later, by design, to fix us up! (She was a good friend of a female cousin of his).
Anyway she provided the food............the rest as they say is (ancient now) history.
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - Alastairw
After some partially successful railway track soldering (more tools and practice required) I spent most of the afternoon reclining on the couch with a trashy thriller from the library. A day well spent IMO - when is the next one?
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - henry k
Spent some of the morning treating the fences to a coat of brown fence paint stuff.
( only about 250 feet of feather edge in total to be done) Gates have been treated with a spirit based treatment. It is certainly looking much smarter.

Daughter decided to wash her V reg Yaris (I think it was last washed about a couple of years ago).
The green growing in various places really needed weed killer :-(
I had to resort to a mild liquid abrasive and a lot of elbow grease to discover the front alloy wheels under a thick brown coating.
After doing the basic fluids & air checks all seemed passable.
Quite a lot of scrapes and new added colours found and a minor split in the front bumper .
I suspect it was all car park action and not hers.
I now feel a bit more relaxed about the Yaris especially as I know she does not hang about on the motorways.
Glad I suggested the 1.3 version.
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - Pat
How the other half lives *rolleyes*:)

I worked Friday and Saturday and spent all day Sunday and Monday decorating.

I'm convinced you all have staff.

Pat
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - Skip
Men manage their time better :-)
Last edited by: Skip on Wed 28 Aug 13 at 08:09
we can multitask
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - Duncan
>> I'm convinced you all have staff.
>>
>> Pat
>>

Pat, are you saying that some people don't have staff?
No need to rub it in Duncan;)

Pat
>> Reading Festival recovery day.

Some amazing pictures of the mess you left behind :)
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2403467/Reading-Festival-2013--fetch-dustpan-brush.html

Not unexpected of course, but it does amaze me how many what look like perfectly serviceable tents are just abandoned.

Didn't get to see much of the festival this year - as part of the massive upgrade programme at Reading station they've built a number of engine cleaning/maintenance (I think) sheds between the line and the festival site; I couldn't even see the main stage from my train home on Friday evening. And there's a new fence which means you can't see between the sheds either :(
Last edited by: Focusless on Wed 28 Aug 13 at 08:30
Must be getting old because Im so glad I don't want to do that. Although...I currently have friends at the Burning Man festival and might go there next year, if only for a social experiment. The complete opposite of wild camping on the S Devon coast.
Well we're popping into Jamie Oliver/Alex James' 'Big Feastival' on Sunday, where the emphasis is on food as much as music (we think - never been before). Top musical line up though - The Feeling, KT Tunstall, er, Mark Owen...

>> Not unexpected of course, but it does amaze me how many what look like perfectly
>> serviceable tents are just abandoned.

Do you really want to take a tent full of vomit home?
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - Bromptonaut
>>
>> >> Not unexpected of course, but it does amaze me how many what look like
>> perfectly
>> >> serviceable tents are just abandoned.
>>
>> Do you really want to take a tent full of vomit home?

I struggle to fold one of those 'self erecting' tents when sober. Still squiffy from night before I'd never get anywhere!
Zeddo, talking of which, unsavoury I know, but when camping with the Scouts, in a Stormhaven aged 15, I indulged in too much Bulmers cider. Rather than puke on my chums, and too inebriated to undo the tent door, I filled my boots, so to speak.

They were left behind, as was my thirst for any future cider drinking. To this day I cannot smell cider without that painful memory.
>> >> Reading Festival recovery day.
>>
>> Some amazing pictures of the mess you left behind :)
>> www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2403467/Reading-Festival-2013--fetch-dustpan-brush.html

Amazing pictures indeed. You can see my street in some of them.

I'm sure the cost of the clean up is included in the (astronomical) ticket price. There were many signs and screens around the place imploring people to take their tents home, but I suppose many folks, after 4 days in a field, especially those travelling by public transport, decide that they wish to travel home light.

The land is privately owned for the most part and not open to the public outside of Festival weekend, only the eastern most field (behind Rivermead Leisure Centre) is public land. In fact, it's owned by the Festival organiser these days, he bought the fields a few years back. So, although it's a shame that some stuff is sent to landfill (it'd end up there anyway even if taken from the site by the festival goers and in fact more tents probably get recycled in the clean-up than would if they were taken away when leaving the site), much is recycled or given to charity and the bill for the clean up is not footed by taxpayers.
I have continued to move things with increasing insouciance into the unsuitable shed.

One of the things is my parents' dinner gong, something I have known these 65 or 66 years. It consists of a four-inch naval cartridge case, a brass tube a couple of feet long closed at one end, with a ring screwed into its primer hole, hanging in an elegant frame well made from everlasting teak, with a small ebony mallet - real ebony - to beat it with, hanging on a convenient hook.

The ebony mallet is too hard and makes the thing sound strident. Some padding or rubber bands would give it a mellower sound. Not that there's anything mellow really about old-style naval artillery. Or this modern rocket-propelled guided stuff come to that.
Stretch an old bicycle inner tube over it.
There, I just knew you all had staff.

It used to be my job to ring the dinner gong when I worked at 'the big house' many years ago.

Pat
Oh, man. I've GOTS to get me a dinner gong.

*disappears to ebay..........
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - WillDeBeest
Reminds me, I have the next best thing somewhere - a Lodge Chuckwagon Dinner Bell, which is a black iron triangle, about 25cm a side, a present from a kitchen-minded American friend. Intended for outdoors, it makes quite a ding; a gong though - see you on eBay!
I too have a kitchen-minded American friend.
Rather than a gong, she strikes a copper tray with a large wooden spoon.
Dinner is normally poured 5 minutes after she arrives home from teaching.
WdB, don't get in a bidding war with me now...........

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-OLD-ANTIQUE-ORNATE-BRASS-DINNER-GONG-ON-OAK-BASE-ORIGINAL-STRIKER-/200956709464?pt=UK_Antiques_DecorativeAntiques_Collectables_EH&hash=item2ec9f40a58
Pathetic little noncy thing

You need one of these

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZylkQs-y3Y

>> There, I just knew you all had staff.
>>
>> It used to be my job to ring the dinner gong

And that was the pinnacle of Pats cooking skills.
I know how to wait at table, silver service and what colour wine goes in which glass....what more do you want?

I was born to be waited on in my later life...

And there is a special way to sound a gong, all strikes have to be equal distance apart and fade gradually to nothing.

I got banished to the washing up if I got it wrong!

Pat
This is a proper dinner gong!

i100.photobucket.com/albums/m34/Veeeight/oak_dinner_gong_as135a396s.jpg

Pat
It's a lot more elegant than ours Pat. And undoubtedly sounds better too.
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - CGNorwich
"And there is a special way to sound a gong,"

This guy has the knack. Makes sure you have your sound turned up!

www.stupidvideos.com/video/just_plain_stupid/Worlds_Largest_Gong/#395667
 What do people do on August Bank Holiday? - helicopter
Amazing sound ..... very interesting CGN

But I enjoyed the one after that with the golfers trying to hit the dinner gong in the lake ..... much hilarity when one of them misses the lake altogether...

......and very competitive...
Latest Forum Posts