Non-motoring > History quiz Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 39

History quiz - Crankcase
The irregular BBC quiz. This time, GCSE History.

Only seven questions. I'm ashamed I only got 5.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23757526

History quiz - Telb
Scraped a pass with 4
 History quiz - Zero
6/7 - got the first one wrong.
 History quiz - Dog
'Could do better' :(
 History quiz - Ted

5/7..........In corner with dunce's cap on for an hour !

Ted
 History quiz - Focusless
4/7, but would have been 0 if it hadn't been multiple-guesschoice.
 History quiz - Cliff Pope
I didn't go further than the first question.
Who's interested in the Factory Act for heaven's sake?

That's not history, that's Social Engineering Studies.
 History quiz - NortonES2
I imagine factory workers were. Is it that outlandish to regulate when there was evidence of harm being done to workers? 6/7.
 History quiz - Focusless
Question 1 "The 1833 Factory Act banned children under nine in the UK from working."

So 9+ was ok/legal - incredible.
 History quiz - Zero
It was 180 years ago. They were still burning witches in Newport Pagnell.

(ok they didnt, but you get my drift - it was a lot of lifetimes ago)
 History quiz - Duncan
>> It was 180 years ago. They were still burning witches in Newport Pagnell.

They are still burning them in Byfleet!
 History quiz - Zero
>> >> It was 180 years ago. They were still burning witches in Newport Pagnell.
>>
>>
>> They are still burning them in Byfleet!

Probably are, glad I moved out of there years ago.
 History quiz - Crankcase
>> It was 180 years ago. They were still burning witches in Newport Pagnell.
>>
>> (ok they didnt, but you get my drift - it was a lot of lifetimes
>> ago)

Well kinda - if you assume people lived to perhaps 50 or 60, not unreasonable - then it's only three lifetimes ago. You could fit three people round your dining room table.

Come to that, couple of thousand years, living to say age 40 - that's only 50 people between you and Biblical stuff. A bus queue.
>> Is it that outlandish to regulate when there was evidence
>> of harm being done to workers? 6/7.
>>

Not at all - I thoroughly support factory legislation and workers' rights.
But it's boring history.
 History quiz - Focusless
Last edited by: Focusless on Tue 20 Aug 13 at 11:40
 History quiz - devonite
1/7 ! - all bar the berlin wall being built happened before my birth, so I wouldn't know about them would I !
 History quiz - helicopter
4/7 ...... Scraped a pass ......Must try harder .

History quiz - movilogo
4/7

But I didn't have my schooling in UK so didn't study British history as such.
 History quiz - Clk Sec
4/7 here.
 History quiz - BiggerBadderDave
Me too devonite. I got 1/7 and guessed right the Berlin War question.
 History quiz - Harleyman
>> 1/7 ! - all bar the berlin wall being built happened before my birth, so
>> I wouldn't know about them would I !
>>

Erm.... surely that's the point of studying history?

>>
>> Erm.... surely that's the point of studying history?
>>

History is the way the present generation rewrites the past.
 History quiz - Manatee
7/7.

Must be dumbed down, I never even did History O level.
 History quiz - Harleyman
6/7

Fluffed the Jewish question.
 History quiz - Crankcase
You're not the first, and you won't be the last.
 History quiz - No FM2R
Dumbed down?

This set of questions suggests that they learned about child labour and its political and economic impact, the existence, relevance and treatment of native American Indians, the reasons that Germany was not permitted an air force, female emancipation, Nazi treatment of Jews, establishment of educational standards after the crisis of the 30s/40s and the relevance and impact of the Berlin Wall.

Well, goodness only knows what level you consider it should be at!

What, how and to what standard the children are taught is not the issue. It is that there are two things which cause the public to believe the education system is rubbish; too many children get a pass mark or higher, not enough children get a pass mark or higher. There is no acceptable performance level. Everybody chooses one side or the other.

Nobody accepts that not all children are equally academically or classroom able.

Everybody believes that classroom/examination achievement is all that matters.

Consequently we want really difficult exams that all children can pass, and if that doesn't happen then clearly the education system is at fault.
 History quiz - Manatee
>> Dumbed down?
>>
>> This set of questions suggests that they learned about child labour and its political and
>> economic impact, the existence, relevance and treatment of native American Indians, the reasons that Germany
>> was not permitted an air force, female emancipation, Nazi treatment of Jews, establishment of educational
>> standards after the crisis of the 30s/40s and the relevance and impact of the Berlin
>> Wall.
>>
>> Well, goodness only knows what level you consider it should be at!

My comment was slightly TIC and trying to provide a reason for my getting a full house, despite considering myself ignorant of history.

Topics great I agree. Questions easy, mainly because they were multiple choice - for example, I didn't know who introduced the 11+ or when, but I knew the school leaving age was about 14 in 1944 and that family allowance was introduced by Labour. I didn't know when 21 year old women got the vote, but I knew 30 year olds got it in 1918. Israel & Sara was a part inferred guess, as was Geronimo's pneumonia. The other three I knew.
 History quiz - No FM2R
I came across a bit stronger than I meant to.

I agree on multiple choice. If ever there was an example of learning how to pass an exam rather than learning the subject, then multiple choice is it.
 History quiz - Manatee
>> What, how and to what standard the children are taught is not the issue. It
>> is that there are two things which cause the public to believe the education system
>> is rubbish; too many children get a pass mark or higher, not enough children get
>> a pass mark or higher. There is no acceptable performance level. Everybody chooses one side
>> or the other.

Difficult to solve this one. Nobody should "fail" an exam IF the course is appropriate for them AND they have been properly taught, AND they have put in the required effort. But on that basis, not everybody should take the same exams.

That, in my mind, is probably the idea behind the 11+. Unfortunately, the filter creates its own "failure" category around the cut-off - children who were expected to be deemed academic, who ended up in the secondary modern.

>> Nobody accepts that not all children are equally academically or classroom able.

The system doesn't seem to, does it? The ultimate expression of this idea is that everybody should go to university.

>> Everybody believes that classroom/examination achievement is all that matters.

And the system is set up to reinforce that.

>> Consequently we want really difficult exams that all children can pass, and if that doesn't
>> happen then clearly the education system is at fault.

I want exams that children can pass, appropriate to them and their reasonable expectations. They are not all the same, not by a long chalk, and it's unfair to the academically strong ones to give them insufficient challenge; it's also unfair to the differently gifted to line them up for the perceived failure of not achieving 5Cs, crueller even than the 11+.
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 20 Aug 13 at 20:09
 History quiz - Number_Cruncher
The points raised by Mark are ones I think about quite a bit.

The Polyversity says each module should get an 85% pass rate.

Relatively straightforward for a 100% coursework module

Relatively straightforward for a purely skills based module; e.g., CAD

It's a bit more tricky for a module with some abstract mathematics assessed by an exam.

I'm generally happy to see a wide, even, range of marks, with some failing, and some getting high marks - to me this suggests the content is pitched about at the right level, and the module is working well in differentiating between students with different strengths.

If anything, I know I'm a bit on the hard side, with my modules tending to give about a 2/3 pass rate, but, I want to make sure that I obtain improvements by changing what I do rather than taking the easy option and dumbing down the content.

I'm encouraged by some ex-students getting in touch to say thank you for pushing them to do things they didn't think they were capable of, but, I suppose there will also be a number of them still licking their wounds.
 History quiz - No FM2R
If there is no possibility of a failure then success has no value. However, for that to work there must be many forms of both.

I remember a mate at school who could outrun me under any circumstances over any distance, but I was *loads* better at maths. Honours shared as far as we were both concerned.

If there is only one criteria, and at the moment that would appear to be academic examinations, then you either destroy half your population through perceived failure with no alternative path, or you disenchant the other half by devaluing their achievement.

Bring and recognise value to non-classroom (and non-celebrity) achievement and we'll be on the right path.
 History quiz - Number_Cruncher
>>If there is no possibility of a failure then success has no value.

Yes, I fully agree. Although I know I'm seen as an extremist by my colleagues for whom everyone "magically" passes.

Over an entire course, we do bend over backwards to award credit for different styles and types of work - written reports, posters, presentations, CAD portfolios, group reports, online tests, written exams, websites, and viva voce examinations. I have the short straw in that all "my" modules have (and must have for the IMechE) written exams.

History quiz - smokie
Today it's science. www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23765435
 History quiz - No FM2R
6/7, got soap wrong.
 History quiz - Manatee
6/7. Didn't know what plants do with nitrates.
 History quiz - Focusless
>> 6/7. Didn't know what plants do with nitrates.

Ditto. Could actually answer some of these, unlike the history questions.
 History quiz - Dog
Could do better (again!)
 History quiz - smokie
Maths www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23779549

Never was my strong point, but carelessness lost me two...
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 22 Aug 13 at 10:29
 History quiz - No FM2R
7/7, - pencil & paper was required.
 History quiz - Slidingpillar
Ditto, but the wording was a bit strange on the fractions one as there was no need to work it out, the correct answer was the only one that used the equals sign correctly.
Latest Forum Posts