Motoring Discussion > Renault Scenic - Warranty for Renault Scenic Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: MJW1994 Replies: 26

Renault Scenic - Warranty for Renault Scenic - MJW1994
Hi all

My Scenic will very soon be coming up to three years old in mid September, although I have only had it for six months. During my ownership it has been faultless and I have not seen any evidence in the service documentation to indicate that it has needed anything other than routine servicing. I spent a bit of time at the weekend checking the car through thoroughly, making sure all the gadgets work and it’s all fine. My thinking was if I found anything wrong then I would have time to get it fixed before the warranty expires.
I did masses of research before buying it and it seemed that the Mark 2 was the poor Scenic whereas the Mark 3 is far better. I have been thinking about a third-party warranty of some kind, to provide a bit of security but opinions seem to be varied. My Dad thinks they are a rip-off and I would be best just budgeting for a few bills and keep the money saved if I don’t need it. But he is quite cynical and my parents lease their cars so he doesn’t have to worry about these things. If they were a rip-off people wouldn’t buy them would they? Or is that naive? I wondered what others might think of these warranties?

I have been trying to find out what percentage of claims are bounced and for those that are settled, what the percentage settlement was of the initial claim. This information doesn’t seem to be available.

I have not applied for any quotes but am assuming probably about £200 p.a. for a policy, it’s a 2010 Scenic 2.0 dci with 25k on the clock (manual gearbox).

Any thoughts from knowledgeable people is very appreciated as I am new to all this sort of thing and possibly still a bit wet behind the ears in the world of motoring. There must be many on this forum who’ve been here before and have experiences (both good and bad) to help. My Dad may be right (ouch!) but a wider range of views would be great!

Best wishes and thanks for reading

Matt
 Renault Scenic - Warranty for Renault Scenic - Zero
The third party warranties are all but Worthless. My son has a one on his Vauxhall and its a waste of space. Its almost criminal fraud.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 13 Aug 13 at 18:28
 Renault Scenic - Warranty for Renault Scenic - Alanovich
Well I currently have an RAC warranty on my 2008 Laguna. It's paid out for two faults so far (waterpump and cruise control switch), and it's getting another one sorted later this week (electric window switch). I expect that to be paid for also.

However, I got that warranty as part of the purchase price on the car, and I won't be renewing it when it expires. I think they're too expensive for what they are. I'll take my chances..................gulp.
 Renault Scenic - Warranty for Renault Scenic - madf
Hi

Most warranties are very useful as toilet paper if you like hard paper. I'd save the money and hope if your car is reliable. As warranties rarely cover wear and tear and that is what is likely to go wrong...

get some quotes and see what costs are like.. and then save your money.
 Renault Scenic - Warranty for Renault Scenic - R.P.
Warranty Direct on two motors, both paid out one hugely in excess of the premium and the other in a decent proportion. Would go with them again.
 Renault Scenic - Warranty for Renault Scenic - No FM2R
a) These things are insurance and as such provided by a profit making organisation subject to contract.

b) Your SOG rights are separate and detailed in law.

The confusion and dissatisfaction comes from many dealers using a) to avoid b).
 Renault Scenic - Warranty for Renault Scenic - -
I'm with your dad in the cynical corner scowling over our pints at the world.

Its done 25k, i'd spend a little extra money on keeping it well serviced and use the money saved not adding to the warranty companies profits by planning the replacement of this car in year 5 at around 60k miles.

It'll still sell well then and with any luck won't have cost you a bean apart from good care.

One of our regular posters who had one will be along soon hopefully, basically his was good for about that time/mileage then it started to cost big time soon after.
 Renault Scenic - Warranty for Renault Scenic - Alanovich
I think Matt's is a Mk3 though. Should be sturdier than a Mk2. Hope so, that's why I (t)rusted my Laguna............
 Renault Scenic - Warranty for Renault Scenic - Dog
I took out a 12 month warranty with autoprotect when I bought a 6 year old jalopy in April.

The policy cost me £300 but, it will only cover me for up to £1000

= CON

Caveat emptor!
Probably the same crew who warranted my neighbours Audi 100CC, auto box went pop (amazing for an audi auto i know..;) cost to recondition was £1600 near enough 20 years ago, policy cost him £200 which happened to be the same amount as the maximum payout allowable.

Expensive bog roll.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Tue 13 Aug 13 at 20:03
 Renault Scenic - Warranty for Renault Scenic - Dog
How much for a Boxer gb, or a Subi Jatco :(
Luckily you won't need either D, you look after your motor and it was made proper in the first place.

Yes it's a Mark 3, general consensus is that it's a far better car than the previous model. I have not considered any time for changing it, at the moment I am still in honeymoon period, I really like the car and it does everything I need. The thing is I won't be putting many miles on it, I am on target to do 8k in 12 months so when it's five years old it might only have about 40k on it. I am lucky that most of my journeys are on the motorway, I drive on the M4 most days to North Bristol, this sort of usage should keep the particulate filter happy.

I will see if there are any other views but I think you have made up my mind! Another thing Dad mentioned was if I keep it serviced at the dealer then that may mean some goodwill contribution in the event of a problem after the warranty. Not sure how true that is, although he is usually right, painful though that is to admit sometimes!

Thanks again.
Dads no fool.

You know that however much you fight it you'll gradually become him as time goes by, i've become my dad and my son is morphing into me...luckily my dads stubborn as a b''''y mule nature skipped me by and went straight to my son..;)
Yeah he's a sharp bloke, I will admit that. Usually has an answer to a problem!
 Renault Scenic - Warranty for Renault Scenic - Notdoctorchris
Don't forget that you can have the MOT test carried out up to 4 weeks before it's due.
Any faults found that come under the warranty can then be fixed before that warranty expires.
That's a great idea, never thought of that. Thanks!
 Renault Scenic - Warranty for Renault Scenic - Bill Payer
I really don't see the point of policies with low claims limits as some people have experienced. You need something which is going to be a safety net in the event of a major failure.

I run a Warranty Direct policy on my Merc - to be honest, I probably read too many horror stories on the internet about running Mercs, where the slightest thing can cost a grand, or much more, to fix. Plenty of people on the two main Merc forums have had 5 figure sums out of WD.

You do read a lot of complaints, but reading them, a lot of people mis-understand what they've bought. It's an insurance policy and something has to be clearly broken / failed for it to pay out. The car running a bit strange or making a funny noise isn't going to cut it.
I had it MOT'd today and it passed with no problems. I would not expect a three year old car with 25k on the clock to give any problems. I was notified that the two front tyres were down to 3mm so I must get those replaced soon, certainly before any slippery winter weather.

Also the rear bumper corner has been professionally resprayed following my little mishap the other day. So it all looks new again and is in good health. Only a week of the warranty left now but my Dad keeps telling me to stop worrying and just forget it, if anything goes wrong just get it fixed and if it keeps on being troublesome then sell it. But so far it has been faultless and I really like the car, quite a few times I go from other cars into mine and really appreciate its comfort and powerful engine.

Thanks to all,

Matt
 Renault Scenic - Warranty for Renault Scenic - Boxsterboy
I was reading about a Scenic that had been bought from Car Giant (in Auto Express, I think). The buyer had spent £700 on their 2-year warranty which had a max payout of £1,000 per claim. The buyer said she didn't know of the limit (the car needed a £2,000 repair). Car Giant said she was aware. Lets hope you don't have the same fault with your Scenic!
 Renault Scenic - Warranty for Renault Scenic - Gromit
Based on running a 2001, then 2003, Scenic, I'd get shut quickly if the car starts to show odd electrical quirks. Renault electrics aren't great, and small niggles show the components and wiring are beginning to fail.

The 2003 used to "wag its tail" - the rear wiper would come on and off again with a will of its own, but not when you'd operate it, and either half of the dashboard used to flash in time with the indicators (funny, that). The 2001 used to open its sunroof but then refuse to close it (not funny, that).

EDIT: Forgot the 2003 used to "say hello" too, it'd beep as well as flashing the indicators when you plipped the locks open. But not when you closed it...
Last edited by: Gromit on Tue 10 Sep 13 at 10:06
I did lots of research before buying the Scenic, it seemed the MK2 was the dodgy model and the MK3 was sorted. My MK3 has been faultless in the time I’ve had it, just over six months. I am realistic in that I do not expect it to be without the odd problem, even some German cars can give trouble. As long as I don’t get any unacceptable and expensive problems then I will be happy.

If it starts to throw its toys out of the pram then it will go but for now it meets all my requirements for space and is not too ruinous for a 19 year old to insure. I really like it even though most of my age group have more fashionable hatchbacks but then I’m not into all that nonsense, a car has to be useful for my activities.
 Renault Scenic - Warranty for Renault Scenic - Runfer D'Hills
>>a car has to be useful for my activities

Took me decades to get there in my head but I'm right with you. I had all manner of nonsense cars back along ( some of which were really good fun in their defence ) but ultimately the penny dropped that cars which shift people and stuff efficiently while being at least pleasant to drive trump most of the ones which are lacking in any one of those departments.
I would struggle to get all my sports kit and other recreational stuff in a hatchback, the Scenic gives me flexibility of space or ability to carry people, sometimes an accepatable compromise of the two. If I had lots of money then I might get a weekend fun car such as the new Jaguar F type. I was out cycling about a week ago and one overtook me. The sound was just amazing, my spine is still tingling now!
 Renault Scenic - Warranty for Renault Scenic - Runfer D'Hills
When I was about your age Matt and living in Scotland, my close group of friends and I were keen skiers. Most winter weekends would find us at Glenshee or Aviemore. I muddled by with an old shonky Triumph Spitfire with a ski rack welded onto the boot lid but one of my mates ( whose father was "in the business" so to speak ) had a second hand Daimler hearse as his daily driver. All the fixtures stripped out of course but it made a fine wagon for skiing gear. It had a wooden deck which of course was originally intended to support a coffin and and space underneath to store the er, um, next in line ! All the skis ( they tended to be much longer then than their modern equivalents ) and boots would be shoved under the deck and our clothes/kitbags on top.

That car did have its lighter moments though. Once or twice my pal got hold of an empty ( and hitherto unused I might add ) coffin from his dad's workshop and put it in the back of the hearse. We'd then go out partying in the car and drive through central Edinburgh with whoever was the most leathered in the coffin and then when we stopped at traffic lights or whatever the "corpse" would slowly push the lid of the coffin open and sit up grinning and toasting passers by with a bottle of Holsten Pils...

Well, we thought it was funny anyway !

One of the other guys had a creamy beige VW Variant estate which again wasn't seen as a young blade's motor but similarly it was a fine ski wagon.

I eventually tired of the Spitfire. ( It had no roof because it had rotted away ) and I'd made do with a tonneaux cover which wasn't ideal for Scottish winters and bought instead a petrol Land Rover. I hand painted that orange and put big wide wheels, thumping great Cibie spotlights and big balloon General Grabber tyres on it for reasons I can't quite remember.

You are being much more sensible !

But the principle is the same.

I use estate cars these days because both for work and leisure they just do everything I want without any tangible compromise for me anyway.

Renault Scenic - Warranty for Renault Scenic - Boxsterboy
Same here, except I've gone the whole hog and got a VW Transporter Kombi, in which I can fit 6 people, their bikes and their bags in comfort!

I can never see myself driving a saloon car ever again.
I considered a VW Transporter but good ones are very expensive, they have become very fashionable amongst the outdoor sports enthusiasts. Also I thought it would be too big. I also thought about a Mondeo estate as I had driven my Mum's and liked it but in the end these two vehicles were just a bit too sensible for my age...
Latest Forum Posts