Non-motoring > Recipe advice Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 35

Recipe advice - sooty123
I've a couple of duck legs left over from the shooting season. But I'm not sure what to do with them, anyone got any good recipes for duck legs?
 Recipe advice - helicopter
www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/articles/how-to-make-chinese-crispy-duck

.....alternatively , save a lot of time and effort and buy some from your local Chinese restaurant........
 Recipe advice - sooty123
>> www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/articles/how-to-make-chinese-crispy-duck
>>
>>
>> .....alternatively , save a lot of time and effort and buy some from your local
>> Chinese restaurant........
>>

I suppose it would be, mind you by the time I'd got back from the take away it'd be stone cold...

I think something a bit simpler might be in order.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Tue 23 Jul 13 at 14:44
 Recipe advice - AnotherJohnH
unless the duck legs are a lot bigger than I recall, two isn't worth the effort: there's virtually no meat on them.

Need many more, IMHO.
 Recipe advice - Zero
Baste them in plum sauce, roast for 35 - 40 mins @ 200˚c in a dish, and eat like chicken legs.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 23 Jul 13 at 15:58
 Recipe advice - madf
Feed to the cat: duck is rubbish to eat.
>> Feed to the cat: duck is rubbish to eat.

I'd have to disagree with that - a decent duck breast, cooked pink but with crispy skin, is very pleasant.

OK, a couple of legs - maybe the cat...
 Recipe advice - bathtub tom
>>OK, a couple of legs - maybe the cat...

Have to agree, much more meat on a cat...........
>> Have to agree, much more meat on a cat...........

More legs too..

Meow.
 Recipe advice - Zero
Cant believe you are all being so sniffy about a couple of Duck legs, I'll send Fifi round she will show you the meaning of Gratitude with a capital GRRRR
 Recipe advice - Ian (Cape Town)
Buy another duck, and cook the legs with that.
If you use a bit of trickery, and some toothpicks, you could convince people that you bought a 4-legged duck.
 Recipe advice - sooty123
Not at all, lovely meat. We had it at xmas, fresh shot just a couple of days before.
 Recipe advice - Slidingpillar
If one had a couple of carcasses, soup. And use the leg meat, such as it is, that way.
 Recipe advice - Armel Coussine
I don't mind a couple of slices of breast from a fat greasy duck, Chinese or British. Not so keen on tough little tasteless and still b loody shanks from a skinny frozen one. I get a bit tired of poultrry to tell the truth, chicken risotto and chicken soup for days after the chicken lunch... there are times when I'd almost rather eat a Mattesson's smoked pork sausage.

As a child I watched in horrified fascination a servant despatching a duck by holding it down firmly and sawing through the back of its neck with a table knife. It took ages, poor damn duck, until he reached the spine and snapped it.

He was I believe Tamil and therefore of Hindu religion, not Buddhist as the cook probably was. No doubt the bad karma was going to come to those who were going to eat the duck (us).
 Recipe advice - Fenlander
>>>As a child I watched in horrified fascination a servant despatching a duck by holding it down firmly and sawing through the back of its neck with a table knife. It took ages, poor damn duck, until he reached the spine and snapped it. He was I believe Tamil

Not the average childhood then AC... Tamil servants indeed.
 Recipe advice - Armel Coussine
>> Not the average childhood then

No, it wasn't average. Nor was it particularly grand or luxurious as a rule. The period with several house servants was just under three years long. Mostly it was just British middle class, with regular changes of location.

I used to envy people who had roots, who came from somewhere and only went to two schools in their lives. I went to eight, and had often to deal with the hassle and sometimes terror of being a new boy... Later in life I came to value the outlook and experience resulting from that restless childhood. But it has made me restless too.
 Recipe advice - Fenlander
Interesting. I was moved quite a lot with a father chasing career moves and at pivotal points in schooling. I look back on it as very unsettling, almost damaging to childhood educational and social development.

But of course some thrive on it.

The result with me is the opposite of you, it's made me very content to live a fairly local adult life. Local places for local folks. I've very deliberately only moved my kids once and then only 10mls to be closer to their secondary school and friends.

They are much more relaxed girls than many of their friends we see here, of course they can take their upbringing experience and do as they wish with it.... rush all over the place if they so choose.
 Recipe advice - DeeW
Obviously a similar childhood Lud ... 19 houses by the time I was six, boarding school (which made Dotheboys look appealing) stabilised education after 11.
My memory is of a chicken being dispatched ... we children were admiring it, as British children do, when the stall holder dispatched it - thinking we were admiring its food potential.

Recipe advice - Roger.
Roger's Chicken filling for wraps
For two hungry people.

You need – two small to medium chicken breasts cut into dice size pieces
1 small, or half a large, onion, finely chopped.
1 green or red, bell pepper ,diced.
About two tablepoonsful of corn or sunflower oil.
About half a teaspoonful of smoked paprika. (Pimentón ahumado)
About 4 heaped teaspoonsful of paprika. ( Pimentón dulce)
About half or more, (to taste) of hot pepper (Pimentón picante). You can used dried or fresh chilli or cayenne pepper.
About 1 teaspoonful, or a bit more, of chicken stock powder.
400 gm tin of chopped tomatoes.
1 heaped teaspoon of soft brown sugar.
A squeeze of lemon juice.

Pour the oil into a dish and stir into it the paprika, smoked paprika, hot paprika/chilli/cayenne and the stock powder.
Put the diced chicken in this mixture, cover and marinade for at least 30 minutes.

Heat a large deep frying pan and into it put the chicken and all the marinade to fry off. When the chicken is well sealed remove it with a slotted spoon, leaving behind as much of the oil as possible.
Now fry the onions in the pan until soft. Add the diced bell pepper and fry for a few minutes. Add the tinned tomatoes and continue frying for about five minutes until the mixture is soft.
Add the chicken and all its juices and mix well.
Continue cooking until the sauce is reduced and does not appear watery. Add the brown sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice and check the seasoning. You can add more stock powder in lieu of salt.
Continue cooking until the mixture is quite dry, stirring to stop it sticking.
When it is thick enough to suit being put into a wrap, it's done!

Warm the wraps, put in a layer of the chicken mix add lettuce, grated cheese, soured cream and enjoy!

Recipe advice - Manatee
Sounds a bit like my Spanish Chicken, adapted from a recipe on the side of a tin of Asda tomatoes with chilli via my sister in law. Part of my limited repertoire of mainly one pot cookery.

Serves 4 - the luxury version has 4 chicken breasts in it.

We freeze half of it for another day when it's just us.

2 medium free range chicken breast fillets, about 140g each, chopped/cubed
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 sliced red pepper, large
1 sliced yellow pepper, large
100-125g of spicy chorizo sausage, chopped
2 cans of chopped tomatoes with chilli - or use ordinary tomatoes and add some chilli powder
2 tsp paprika - use plain or smoked, or 1 tsp of each
1 tsp of dried oregano
About a dozen pitted green olives, sliced.

Method -

Fry the onion and chorizo until the onions are soft
Add the chicken and garlic, cook until the chicken is white
Add the peppers, cook for 2-3 minutes more
Add the tomatoes, oregano, paprika, and salt & pepper to taste
Cook for a further 30 - 45 minutes.
Add olives.

Serve with brown rice (60g uncooked weight per person for a smallish portion).

This is a fairly warming healthy meal, without too many calories.
 Recipe advice - Kevin
You forgot the guacamole Roger.
 Recipe advice - Zero
Indeed, almost exactly like my Mexican chicken dish, I add some chopped chilli, some cheese grated over it and served with home made guacamole.

Home made guacamole for 2

Take 1 ripe Avocado, cut in half, remove the stone, and scoop flesh into a bowl
Mash with fork
stir in -
- the juice of half a lime
- two crushed garlic cloves
- One desert spoon of Olive oil.
- finely chopped coriander to taste
- finely chopped chile
- one table spoon of either Helmans Mayoniase, or Sour cream
- Salt and Pepper

Make two hours before required, cover with cling film and place in fridge for 1.5 hours and remove to obtain room temperature 30 mins before serving.

Last edited by: Zero on Mon 16 Sep 13 at 19:32
 Recipe advice - Roger.
Sounds nice.
We don't usually bother with guacamole as you need ripe avocados and it's a job to find them just ready, when the thought to make the wraps is spur-of-the-moment. ;-O
 Recipe advice - Clk Sec
>> We don't usually bother with guacamole as you need ripe avocados and it's a job
>> to find them just ready,

Roger

Ripe avocados are available in Waitrose. We like guacamole, so we buy them frequently.
 Recipe advice - Roger.
Our nearest Waitrose is around 15 miles away!
 Recipe advice - CGNorwich
>> Our nearest Waitrose is around 15 miles away!
>>

Hells teeth! What do you do when you run out of edamame beans or Maldon smoked sea-salt flakes?

Recipe advice - Zero
Worse, Aldi rarely have Limoncello in stock.
 Recipe advice - Mapmaker
>>Take 1 ripe Avocado, cut in half, remove the stone, and scoop flesh into a bowl
>>Mash with fork

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mash with a wooden spoon. The stainless steel reacts with the avocado, turning it brown; some sort of oxidative process I guess. Use a wooden spoon and the colour remains brighter green.
 Recipe advice - Zero
>> >>Take 1 ripe Avocado, cut in half, remove the stone, and scoop flesh into a
>> bowl
>> >>Mash with fork
>>
>> NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>> Mash with a wooden spoon. The stainless steel reacts with the avocado, turning it brown;
>> some sort of oxidative process I guess. Use a wooden spoon and the colour remains
>> brighter green.

NO!!!!!!!! The lime juice prevents this.

Anyway, there is none left at the end of the meal to go brown.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 18 Sep 13 at 09:28
 Recipe advice - Duncan
>> Mash with a wooden spoon. The stainless steel reacts with the avocado

Isn't your cutlery silver?
 Recipe advice - Manatee
>> >> Mash with a wooden spoon. The stainless steel reacts with the avocado
>>
>> Isn't your cutlery silver?

No such problem in Wetherspoons of course.

The guacamole comes out of the same bucket as the mushy peas.
 Recipe advice - joshsalvage
Mmmm.. A bit of crispy duck would never go a miss
 Recipe advice - Roger.
ALDI do a pretty decent frozen pre-prepared duck dish, consisting of two quacker's legs in an orange sauce. £2.99.
We had one t'other day and reckoned it good enough to re-stock. It's on the menu for tomorrow.
 Recipe advice - zookeeper
were the legs attached to the duck when it was shot?
 Recipe advice - sooty123
Nah it was the lesser spotted legless duck.
 Recipe advice - Gromit
Duck confit anyone?

I've not tried cooking it, but have a go at this: tinyurl.com/ducklegs

The recepie is from Darina Allen's Ballymaloe Cookbook, and her recepies invariably work for me. A belting good book, actually...

EDIT: URL corrected
Last edited by: Gromit on Thu 19 Sep 13 at 10:07
Latest Forum Posts