Non-motoring > iPhone 4S screen broken Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 6

iPhone 4S screen broken - Manatee
It doesn't look too difficult.

Has anybody replaced their own? Kits on Amazon for £16 or so.

I dropped it once too often. The phone still works, and the screen. The glass is kaput.

Is it likely to be a success or should I contact O2/Apple?

iPhone 4S screen broken - Zero
check out youtube for DIy guides on screen replacement, Me? I would send it off to one of the numerous places that will do it for not much money.
 iPhone 4S screen broken - No FM2R
I did it on an HTC. More intimidating than it was difficult.

However, I'd get someone else to do it if it were economic and feasible.
Thanks. As I've time I'll have a go, little victories and all that, and it will add to my reputation as a tight git.
 iPhone 4S screen broken - Alanovich
Do it, M. I recently replaced the supposedly non-user servicable battery in my Nokia N8. A youtube video was all it took, and a £1.99 teeny weeny star-type screwdriver from the local ironmongers. As well as the £10 battery, of course.
Cheers. I've ordered one with a set of "tools" for about £20.

There's a geezer in Prestwood who advertises the repair for £35, but it would take me as long to drive over there twice, and and I don't want to be without it just now.

I'm half expecting the quality to be noticeably sub-Apple, but the only sure way round that i to swap it at the Apple shop for £135.
Well I have done it. And everything works.

I definitely could not have managed without an eye loupe, which I happen to have. The screws are absolutely minuscule, and some are even smaller!

I am seriously impressed with the design and construction. The only give away now is the absence of a tiny grille in the earpiece bit. There wasn't one in the new screen and I failed to notice before I had fitted it to the frame. I doubt if I could have reused the one bonded to the old screen anyway.

The screen doesn't feel as good, I assume the special coating is absent, so I've fitted a screen protector which makes that irrelevant. Side by side with another 4S, the colours are not quite as good and the viewing angle is narrower - the colour tint changes, as well as the brightness, when viewing obliquely.

I am well pleased for £20.95, delivered. It did take me four hours though, and I probably won't feel the need to do another one myself! If I did, I think I would prefer to use a big magnifier on a stand, with a light rather than constantly switching from the reading glasses to the loupe.

Latest Forum Posts