Non-motoring > Doing porridge Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 67

Doing porridge - Dog
No, I haven't been on a blag, we're talking oats here guys 'n gals.

Being as we went on an expedition to Portsmouth yesterday, I made sure we both had a filling breakfast of Flahavan's porridge and a hot-buttered crumpet ( I like a bit of crumpet now and again, see.)

Within 3 hours we were both feeling hungry again, but I can usually go 5 hours plus on 2 slices of my wholewheat bread with peanut butter.

Now, I try to adhere to a diabetic diet (I'm not) so I'm wondering what is going on there, my way of thinking is that the oats turned to glucose faster than the peanut butt would have done obviously, or could it be the Flahavan's oats themselves not being up 'to scratch'.

So, the main reason for this thread is: what are the 'best' porridge oats?

Or, would I be better orf buying oatmeal, and making 'proper' porridge?
 Doing porridge - CGNorwich
"Within 3 hours we were both feeling hungry again"

You would probably be better off not worrying about the oats and such and just have a cup of tea and a biscuit. :-)
 Doing porridge - Dog
You may well be correct there Herr CG, I fast from 8.00pm 'til 8am most days, I'm just interested in the physiological aspect of it (I've always been a pain like that, even as a kyd)

:-))
Last edited by: Dog on Mon 29 Apr 13 at 09:27
 Doing porridge - Cliff Pope
If you are following a diabetic diet then presumably you know all about the Glycaemic Index?

www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Food_and_recipes/The-Glycaemic-Index/?gclid=CJXhvbK677YCFWXJtAodmHsACQ

and

www.mostlyeating.com/revealed-why-you-are-not-a-freak-of-nature-if-porridge-doesnt-fill-you-up
 Doing porridge - Dog
Thanks Cliff, I know about the GI index, but that mostlyeating article is interesting.

I know I'm a bit of a crank but, my favourite/most filling breakfast used-to-be 2 eggs on holy ghost but, when I read that the male chicks are thrown alive into a machine that grinds them down to make fertiliser, I've stopped eating eggs.

I've luv to hear from someone that male chicks mostly don't suffer this fate, so I can get stuck in to some blimmin eggs again?
 Doing porridge - legacylad
Monsieur chien
You are the only person I know, apart from myself, that eats Flahavans. I've eaten it for years, 50/50 milk n water,2 mins in the microwave, then a large dose of pure maple syrup stirred in.

I panicked recently when my local Asda stores no longer stocked it, so using the Flahavans website I tracked emergency supplies down to Waitrose in Otley, a mere 30 miles away!

Well worth the trip as I much prefer it to any other porridge, and the ride out was enjoyed by my 95yo aunt. Food parcels and care in the community combined.
 Doing porridge - FocalPoint
The way I see it, Dog, is that a combination of getting your oats and having crumpet are consuming far more energy than you reckoned.

It's one way of keeping fit!
 Doing porridge - Dog
>>You are the only person I know, apart from myself, that eats Flahavans

I first heard of Flahavans porridge last year on this forum, from Clk/Sec (I think it was)

>>It's one way of keeping fit!

Hehe! - I asked for that one alright, but seriously folks "a little of what you fancy, does you good".

:)
 Doing porridge - -
We get Scottish organic whole rolled oats in 5kg bags for less than a £fiver from the lovely Northampton Wholefoods Cooperative (Bedford Road 2 miles from jct15 M1 if anyone's passing), who also provide gainful employment to the less able too, so good company all round.

Once you've had those the big name supermarket stuff is tasteless and overpriced pap in comparison.
 Doing porridge - Manatee
>>Scottish organic whole rolled oats in 5kg bags for less than a £fiver from the lovely Northampton Wholefoods Cooperative

Might have a run out when I get the MX5 back this week. I can't abide proper porridge, I only eat the 'hot oat cereal' type but I use rolled oats in my oaty bread.

Take me a while to get through 5kg though.
 Doing porridge - -
Pity its not today MT could have had a coffee (coffee shop on site ISTR), we'll be going there this afternoon as we've run out, going to plant the family grave up whilst in N'pton so popping into Daily Breads whilst there.

Back on shift tomorrow, 5 shifts then 8 days off, yess.

You'll find lots of different foods and spices there, nice little place which smells wonderful.

www.dailybread.co.uk/northampton-home
 Doing porridge - Manatee
Might be this afternoon!

I can always defer it:-) That's the trouble with being semi-retired.
 Doing porridge - -
Well if you're going today we'll be there about 2.30 ish i reckon, will be in the Outlander.

If you see a grey haired old geezer with a ruddy complexion and dark brown caterpilllers over his eyes ( a la the late Father Ted) who resembles a negative you'll know..;)
 Doing porridge - Bromptonaut
Another vote for the Daily Bread. Good for seeds, nuts flour etc and also a good selection of spices and at least when I was last there a fuller range of Patak's products than that kept in supermarkets.

Mrs B visits when work sends her over Welly way.

It's also one of the first if not the first workers co-operative established under Benn's legislation in the seventies.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 29 Apr 13 at 11:50
 Doing porridge - Manatee
>>Well if you're going today we'll be there about 2.30 ish i reckon, will be in the Outlander.

They haven't rung me yet so it looks unlikely.

I've had the sills and rear wheel arches done, properly I hope. And it's running properly now after a new coil pack. And a second front ABS sensor at wallet emptying expense, and a new hood.

You only live once.

Next time I want a good one, I'll buy a good one. It will be cheaper.
 Doing porridge - MD
I have porridge with dried fruit almost every morning and within an hour I am usually quite hungry.
 Doing porridge - Dog
Try making your porridge with oatmeal then MD. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oatmeal
 Doing porridge - Dog
This is what y'all need my ansome: www.amazon.co.uk/McCanns-Irish-Oatmeal-Steel-Oats/dp/B0005YVI3E
 Doing porridge - Zero
Porridge is only fit as a paste to hang flock wallpaper.
 Doing porridge - Dog
Don't forget the oats: www.formerfatguy.com/articles/oatmeal/oats.asp
Wrong grain - you need wheat flour to make wallpaper paste. Porridge would be a bit lumpy and it wouldn't stick.
 Doing porridge - Zero
feels pretty sticky to me.
 Doing porridge - Manatee
>> Wrong grain - you need wheat flour to make wallpaper paste. Porridge would be
>> a bit lumpy

You have to use ready brek on the delicate stuff. I put a bit of honey in mine anyway, sticks like...you know.
 Doing porridge - Clk Sec
>>Wrong grain - you need wheat flour to make wallpaper paste.

The porridge that I make would probably be too thick for use as wallpaper paste, but would make perfect border adhesive.
 Doing porridge - crocks
If you pasted the porridge straight onto the wall ( and didn't bother with the paper ) wouldn't it look just like woodchip wallpaper?
Paint it round drainpipes to deter cat-burglars.
 Doing porridge - Old Navy
I eat this stuff, works for me. :-)

tinyurl.com/cl4cc2x

Don't know if they sell it to the Southern contingent.
 Doing porridge - Clk Sec
>>I first heard of Flahavans porridge last year on this forum, from Clk/Sec (I think it was)

Not from me, Dawg... I've not heard of that brand. Although I have a bowl of Sainsbury's Organic Scottish Oats most days. Anyway, Mrs CS has kindly volunteered to pick up a pack tomorrow when she pops into Waitrose, as they appear to stock four different varieties there.

Some favourable comments on Amazon. I have high expectations.
 Doing porridge - Alanovich
Riverford Organic veg deliverers supply Flahavan's oats. I've had 'em a few times. Pretty decent.
I didn't realise that badge snobbery extended to porridge. :-)
You can get them in Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury Waitrose etc. Don't taste any different to other porridge oats in my view - In Ireland I think they are just the mainstream brand. Clever marketing here has given them a premium label and a premium price.
 Doing porridge - Alanovich
Sounds like VWs.
Marketing only works because there are people daft enough to believe the bullshine. :-)

You can put anything in a fancy box or give it a posh badge and treble its price.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 30 Apr 13 at 13:54
 Doing porridge - Dog
>>Not from me, Dawg... I've not heard of that brand

Ah, well, I'm on the turn again now, and have ordered some: www.mccanns.ie/

Does anyone make porridge that is not rolled oats?
No, even Scott's Porage Oats So-easy Syrup Swirl is made from rolled oats:

www.scottsporage.co.uk/varieties-and-nutrition/scotts-so-easy-syrup-swirl/
The added value obviously includes the novel spelling that Scotts use. :-)

Their factory (Mill) is not far from me. When I was working I visited it occasionally.
 Doing porridge - Armel Coussine
I don't often eat porridge although I like it. Scott's Farage - sorry, Porage - oats cooked not for too long and with at least some milk make the best one in my experience. I like it with too much sugar, soft brown is best.
 Doing porridge - WillDeBeest
Soft dark brown, to be precise, AC. Mine goes on Tesco ordinary (not Finest, not Value) oats cooked in the slow cooker. All night is too long so it's on a timer to start about 0430 for breakfast at 0645. One jug of oats and two of water, milk for topping only.

Incidentally, and contrary to where we began this thread, I find this is the breakfast that's least likely to leave me rumbling before lunchtime.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Tue 30 Apr 13 at 16:01
My London roots mean that I can make mine with milk, sugar, and a three minute nuking in the microwave. A little topping of crème fresh is pleasant also.

I can hear the rumble of the locals having heart attacks and dropping like flies at that statement. :-)
 Doing porridge - WillDeBeest
...the locals having heart attacks and dropping like flies...

Carrying on as normal, you mean?
>> ...the locals having heart attacks and dropping like flies...
>>
>> Carrying on as normal, you mean?
>>

No, that's the West, this side is almost civilised. :-)

Deep fried battered Mars Bar anyone?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 30 Apr 13 at 16:29
"I can hear the rumble of the locals having heart attacks and dropping like flies at that statement. :-)"

Well, you might be able to hear the rumble of the (French) grammar police and general pedants!

"crème fresh" - really!
>> "crème fresh" - really!
>>

OK, crème fraiche, I fished the tub out of the bin to check. The things I do to keep the pedant police off my back. :-)
Very good effort, ON - but put your specs on!

Should be crème fraîche. Note the circumflex accent on the i.

Signed,

FP (French Pedant)
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Tue 30 Apr 13 at 17:56
>> Very good effort, ON - but put your specs on!
>>
>> Should be crème fraîche. Note the circumflex accent on the i.
>>
>> Signed,
>>
>> FP (French Pedant)
>>

My 'puter doesn't do foreign, like me it believes the whole world should speak English.

And if they don't just shout louder at them! :-)
"My 'puter doesn't do foreign..."

Yes, it does - just treat it properly. Press and hold Alt while you type 140 on your numeric keypad (the Num Lock must be on).

Voilà!
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Tue 30 Apr 13 at 18:05
>> Voilà!
>>

I note with interest that you don't tell me how to recover from this fiendish foreign trap. :-)
 Doing porridge - Runfer D'Hills
My son ( 13 ) asked me a question the other day which I couldn't answer. ( No not that question ! )

His query was why does a computer keyboard have a plus and a minus key but no "times" or "divide" ?

I'd quite like to know too.
 Doing porridge - No FM2R
>>His query was why does a computer keyboard have a plus and a minus key but no "times" or "divide"

Because neither had a place in computer programming.

÷ was not used for some ascii coding reason I think, and x would have been confused with the alpha character so * was used instead.
I have a shortcut to the character map on my desktop should I feel the need to appear clever. :-)
>> >>His query was why does a computer keyboard have a plus and a minus key
>> but no "times" or "divide"
>>

Excel recognises * and / as times and divide.
 Doing porridge - Zero
Get your son to research Ansi, Ascii and EBCDIC character sets on wiki. As Mark said "x" cant be used because there is already X as an alphanumeric character, and as far as I know, the ÷ is not universally recognised or used, so was not part of the basic coding back in the day.

Ask your son why ÷ is not on his calculator either!

As you see, however, the ÷ character does exist and can be typed.

* and / have become the defacto "times" and "÷" keys.

Doing porridge - Duncan
>> Ask your son why ÷ is not on his calculator either!
>>

Well, it's on my calculator!
 Doing porridge - Runfer D'Hills
...and mine. ( What's more I'm sure it was only £5.99 so it seems it was a bit of a bargain then ! ) However, the lad has a "scientific" calculator. Not sure if that has it. Must ask him.

Thanks for the explanations though.
 Doing porridge - Clk Sec
>> ...and mine. ( What's more I'm sure it was only £5.99

Same here. And I must have bought mine 13/14 years ago.
 Doing porridge - Duncan
>> ...and mine. ( What's more I'm sure it was only £5.99 so it seems it
>> was a bit of a bargain then ! )
>>

I think I paid 10s 6d, if memory serves.

;-0
 Doing porridge - Zero
>> >> Ask your son why ÷ is not on his calculator either!
>> >>
>>
>> Well, it's on my calculator!

Its not on mine, it has the "/"
 Doing porridge - Armel Coussine
Fraîche to be completely accurate ON, unless you agree with the French that the circumflex is one diacritical too many and like a lot of them have abandoned it.

I am a senior commander in the grammar police and an eminent member of the Royal Society of Pedants. But I am off duty here.
 Doing porridge - Dog
When I was in HMDC Send, I was awoken early one morning (earlier than the usual 6am) and ordered to head for the kitchens and take over as number two - he who makes the porridge for all the other toerags.

I'd never-in-my-life made or even eaten porridge before, I was brung up on Farley's Rusks and Sugar Frosties
(they're grrrreat!)

So, I had this BIG blimmin cauldron and a load of oats, I didn't know what to do, did I, and I just threw the oats in the water, heated it up and served it to the other inmates.

Lumpy? .. Geez! - you should have heard them all moaning about it in the dining hall, I had to walk down the length of the dorm later, being clouted from each side by all the geezers with their pillows.

I soon learnt how to make proper porridge though.

:-))
Last edited by: Dog on Tue 30 Apr 13 at 16:32
 Doing porridge - Mapmaker
60g oats (Lidl's come in a nice paper packet and are about 35p for 500g) and 300g water. In the microwave on mediumish power for 4/5 minutes.

Medium power gives you a much nicer, lighter colour than does full power - and it's less likely to boil over too.
 Doing porridge - Dog
Eh, I made some of that www.mccanns.ie/ for the first time this morning, bit of faffing about, but well worth it IMO.

4 cups of boiling water to 1 cup of oatmeal, add oatmeal slowly to the water (unlike I did back in in '68) and let it simmer for 30 mins, stirring occasionally (serves 2)

I threw in 5 hazelnuts, 3 walnuts (chopped) and 2 tsp. of sultanas along with a pinch of Celtic seasalt.

Mmmmmmm, really nice.
 Doing porridge - -
Simmer for 30 minutes D?!....might have been better to point some stone walls with that batch.

Thank goodness for the nuts and sultanas..:-)

SWM is in the kitchen at this very moment and the usual huge bowl of 2 minute simmered really rolled oat porridge will be arriving on a tray any moment...spoiled i am.
 Doing porridge - Dog
Y'all can prepare it the night b4 gb, then either stick it in the (naughty, naughty) microwave, or warm it up on the hob.
 Doing porridge - -
Suppose we all like it different D, we don't like it stodgy which pre soaking or simmering for a long time produces, well thats how it tastes to us, tried it all ways.

The rolled whole oats we prefer taste so much better for bringing to the boil quickly and simmering literally for only 1 to 2 mins then munch.

Our method is 1 heaped mug of oats, 3/4 mug of semi skimmed milk, 1 1/4 mugs of water, stir in then bring to boil immediately, good yummy portions for two, and this morning batch was as good as always...i like this being waited on hand and foot malarkey.

Never get involved with salt, leave that and other weird practices to the Jocks.;)
 Doing porridge - Dog
How d'you know if it's stodgy gb, if you've never tried it?

Oatmeal is more of a nutty consistency , like me.

:+}
 Doing porridge - Crankcase
Come on Dog. That's one thing you're not. Consistent.
 Doing porridge - Dog
Maybe CC, but I can be a bit dense at times though.

:-)
Latest Forum Posts