Non-motoring > Anybody here From Tameside, Manchester? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 7

Anybody here From Tameside, Manchester? - Duncan
Did you say you are from Tameside? Well, if you are, move to Kensington a bit sharpish - if you know what's good for you!

Link to the Beeb www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22214065

Tameside in Greater Manchester is the worst place in the country for heart trouble.

Kensington and Chelsea in God's own city is the place to be for a long life.

Personally I think it's Rattle's driving that's frightening everybody there to death, nothing to do with diet, environment, excess alcohol or owt like that.
 Anybody here From Tameside, Manchester? - RattleandSmoke
Tameside is the other side of the city. Tameside has quote a lot of poorer areas in it with high unemployment. It has a bad reputation for health care in general. I rarely have any need to step into Tameside, its just too far out of my catchment area.

It is very general though, Tameside itself does have some good areas.

In places like Didsbury and Chorlton (where I live) life expectancy is far higher than places like Miles Platting which suffers from a lot of poverty and poor education.
 Anybody here From Tameside, Manchester? - neiltoo
Also Tameside General Hospital is currently suffering a rather poor reputation:

tinyurl.com/cq74k28

Always dangerous to read into statistics. Their performance may be because of an already unhealthy population.
Last edited by: neiltoo on Fri 19 Apr 13 at 13:06
 Anybody here From Tameside, Manchester? - BiggerBadderDave
I was born in Ancoats and grew up in Tameside.

I broke my left fibula skateboarding down our street. Boy, did that hurt. The old man laid me on the back seat and drove me to Tameside General, screaming every time he touched the brakes. They set it in a full-length plaster and sent me home. I went back 2 days later for x-rays and they'd messed it up. They had to cut off the plaster but as it was still wet, it took them an hour to hack it off. Without anaesthetics, they reset it - they must have heard the screaming in Cheshire.

A few years later there was an incident in a night club and six lads kicked the living crap out me, stamping on my head. While someone called for an ambulance, two men held me over a sink, looking like a can of aerosol paint, spraying blood all over the bathroom. A broken nose, shattered lower jaw and missing teeth. I was taken to good old Tameside General and whoever was on duty just said 'Take him somewhere else, we can't deal with this one'.

Thank heaven North Manchester General, Crumpsall took me and screwed me back together and upgrade my mojo. Tameside General would probably have bolted all the wrong bits in the wrong place.

We left Tameside nearly 30 years ago, and I grew up and moved down that London place but I still meet up with old mates in Denton, Hyde or Ashton once a year or so. I've drank in thousands of bars in thousands of cities from Russia, USA, East, Central and Western Europe getting plastered and doing stupid, ridiculous things - but I've always felt safe and secure. But when I walk in a pub in Tameside I get nervous and jittery and start checking out the exits and pulling my cowboy hat down over my eyes so they don't notice me.
 Anybody here From Tameside, Manchester? - Zero
Yeah, them boys in Thameside wont tolerate shirt lifters...

Anybody here From Tameside, Manchester? - Roger.
Homophobe! ;-0
 Anybody here From Tameside, Manchester? - rtj70
>> Yeah, them boys in Thameside

No H in Tameside... And the River Tame at Stockport merges with the Goyt and becomes the River Mersey. I wouldn't like in Ashton or nearby! But I have the choice - some don't.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 19 Apr 13 at 18:48
 Anybody here From Tameside, Manchester? - Armel Coussine
>> them boys in Thameside wont tolerate shirt lifters...

I was wondering what BBD had done to provoke their ire too. It can't have been that though surely? I wouldn't put it past him to have been defending a lady's honour actually. He has quite a soppy side.

When one is young it is surprisingly easy to get involved in scuffles with total strangers for reasons that are utterly idiotic and hard to believe or even remember. I never got done over like that though thank goodness.
Latest Forum Posts