Non-motoring > Carrying a bike in a car. A new option. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 4

Carrying a bike in a car. A new option. - henry k
If it goes into production and the proposed price comes down.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/486778887/hubdock-quick-release-rear-wheel

Seems a well thought out product and would mean taking both wheels out wuld be so much simpler.

I wonder if the bike racing world will use it?
Present day rear wheel changing is a bit slower than F1 achieve :-)
 Carrying a bike in a car. A new option. - Robin O'Reliant
They're nearly 50 years out of date, Cinelli did that in the late sixties with a system they called Benotto.

It never caught on, despite the front and rear wheels on the system being interchangeable.
 Carrying a bike in a car. A new option. - crocks
As I'm interested in cycling and engineering I have just spent the last hour reading the details and trying to find any positive support.

If it works then I could see some interest but the price is going to have to come down massively. At the moment the backers are paying $379 for one hub. If you want to use it for quick wheel changes you are going to need two. $758. I'd rather spend that on a better bike.

Their kickstarter proposal is rather rose-tinted yet only has 12% of the money required in 70% of the time so looks unlikely to go ahead.

If the professional teams thought it was a goer then they would probably have bought into it by now.
 Carrying a bike in a car. A new option. - henry k
I rather like the idea but.

>>...the price is going to have to come down massively. At the moment the backers are paying $379 for one hub. If you want to use it for quick wheel changes you are going to need two. $758.

The front wheel is not a problem so IMO it's just for the rear wheel.
I agree the cost is far too high especially as a retofit ( a wheel rebuild ).
I wonder is there are other costs not listed?

Funding does not look good but some more publicity may pull it around.
 Carrying a bike in a car. A new option. - No FM2R
>>Funding does not look good but some more publicity may pull it around.

Crowd funding is ridiculous for the one contributing the money. A "proper" investor will invest in pretty much anything that they believe will make them money.

90% of the ideas they invest in will fail to provide any return.

Thus the 10% which do make a return have to fund the 90% that did not.

Consequently if someone believes the investor is asking for too much equity in return for their investment, they are probably correct.

If someone believes that the investors are refusing to offer money to a venture which is actually viable, then they are almost certainly wrong.

Not to say that you cannot make money as a crowd investor, but hell will probably freeze over before you do.
Latest Forum Posts