Non-motoring > Pathetic. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 30

Pathetic. - Roger.
..............that's me.
As I have said before, I am a mobilephonophobe - I've invented a new word - and rarely bother carrying my mobile, or even turning it on.
It's usually kept in a drawer somewhere, but this time I have been too clever for my own good - I can't find the thing anywhere!
The house has been searched, the air turned blue, rolling dust balls discovered, pockets emptied, drawers ransacked, but there is no trace of it. Has it fled in disgust at my making a tenner's worth of top-up last for well over a year, I wonder?
Be that as it may, there are occasions when a mobile is useful, so I spent yesterday researching for a replacement, shuddering at the costs involved.
All I wanted, I thought, was a basic PAYG unit that I could, like its predecessor forget most of the time, but here is another pathetic bit - I have been seduced from a really basic Nokia at around £20 to £25 unlocked to a de-luxe, well de-luxe for me, clamshell phone with a camera.
Bearing in mind my fat fingers and rubbish hearing I have gone for an "oldie's" phone:-

www.doro.co.uk/Products/Mobile-phones-and-accessories/Doro-PhoneEasy-612/

Available, SIM free from Amazon:-

www.amazon.co.uk/-/dp/B0083T5M6M?tag=invihand-21

Now, I'm tight, so I've found one, used, but described as mint, for £60, from these folk :-

uk.webuy.com/phones/

which is still a lot of money, but reasoned (sort of) that if I find it easy to use, I might like it enough to actually USE it!
I've sent off for a GiffGaff SIM, as has my wife for her touch screen Samsung, as calls GiffGaff to GiffGaff are free and regular calls are 10p per minute, rather than Vodaphone's 25p per minute.
So, will this be a Damascene conversion? Is this my burning bush moment?
Will I learn to love a phone?
We shall see!

Pathetic. - helicopter
Have you tried ringing the original phone number Roger or was your mobile turned off?

My ( now deceased ) father in law lost his mobile phone and looked everywhere for it.... ended up buying another .

Several months later he was going out to a black tie function and pulled out his dress wear shoes from the bottom of the wardrobe , inside one of which was his mobile phone.....

He had taken his shoes off downstairs on returning from another black tie function and had several items to carry upstairs to the bedroom so put the phone inside his shoe and forgotten all about it....

Pathetic. - Roger.
Turned off? I think it's DEAD!
Sods law says it will turn up as soon as I get the new one!
It only cost me 70 € with 60 € worth of credit, so it's AWOL status is hardly a financial catastrophe.
 Pathetic. - CGNorwich
My wife has one of those. Very well made and easy to use. Everything a basic phone should be. They are a bit expensive for what you get but they are a quality product.
 Pathetic. - Dog
My mobile bone cost me £10, 6 years ago, it's stuffed in one of the kitchen drawers - among all the other junk.

It still works though, and holds a charge quite well, considering I hardly ever use it.

It's a phone, it enables me to make phone-calls, why would I want to be able to take photos with it?
or access the internet, send/receive emails etc. etc. when I have a PC and a laptop for doing just that.
 Pathetic. - Maisie's Dad
when I have a PC and a
>> laptop for doing just that.
>>
Now that's just showing off.
:o)
 Pathetic. - Dog
(hehehe!)
 Pathetic. - Slidingpillar
My fobile moan cost me £5, plus a compulsory £5 PAYG payment.

Just went into Carphone Warehouse explained all I wanted was cheap, a vibrator and a text ability as I was deaf. Phone was somebody's return but as new and boxed etc. Was cheap but they got a fast sale - probably took as long as the basic sale to drive the credit card machine.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Wed 27 Mar 13 at 09:31
 Pathetic. - bathtub tom
I recently got one for four quid from Carphone Warehouse, brand new.

I did need the old SIM card. I think it was five quid without the old SIM.
 Pathetic. - henry k
>> Just went into Carphone Warehouse explained all I wanted was cheap, a vibrator and ...

A visit to Specsavers? :-)
 Pathetic. - VxFan
>> A visit to Specsavers? :-)

Followed by directions to Ann Summers ;)
 Pathetic. - FocalPoint
"A visit to Specsavers?"

Roger might like to know that Specsavers do some very good and reasonably-priced hearing aids.
 Pathetic. - Meldrew
They sell Phonak aids, rebranded with a Spsecsavers number and then on a 2 for 1, like their glasses. Price includes 4 years warranty, service and batteries.
 Pathetic. - Armel Coussine
Mine was free, although I have a contract to pay £9 a month for call time. I very seldom exceed that. If the phone stops working I know they will give me a later model free. Up to now when it hasn't worked removing the battery and sim card has always made it work again. Dirt gets inside it and prevents the contacts from touching.

I don't want a smart phone with a built-in sauna and swimming pool, just a mobile telephone. Don't want to be glued to the damn thing permanently like the young.
 Pathetic. - Armel Coussine
Surely it's impossible to get a mobile that doesn't have a camera and even a few seconds of video? My simple Nokia has, and the last two did as well.

I hardly ever use it though.
 Pathetic. - VxFan
>> Surely it's impossible to get a mobile that doesn't have a camera and even a few seconds of video?

No, it's still possible.

£9 gets you something like

www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-mobile-nokia-100-black/215-7201.prd
or
www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-mobile-samsung-e1200-black/164-2461.prd

I was paying more than that for a new battery for a mobile 2 or 3 years ago!
 Pathetic. - Roger.
>> "A visit to Specsavers?"
>>
>> Roger might like to know that Specsavers do some very good and reasonably-priced hearing aids.

The NHS do them even more cheaply!
 Pathetic. - madf
>> >> "A visit to Specsavers?"
>> >>
>> >> Roger might like to know that Specsavers do some very good and reasonably-priced hearing
>> aids.
>>
>> The NHS do them even more cheaply!
>>

Once UKIP become the Government, they won't...
 Pathetic. - Roger.
>> Once UKIP become the Government, they won't...
>>
Pathetic.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 28 Mar 13 at 10:32
 Pathetic. - madf
>> >> Once UKIP become the Government, they won't...
>> >>
>> Pathetic.
>>

There's a thread for that, Roger...
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 28 Mar 13 at 10:32
 Pathetic. - VxFan
>> The NHS do them even more cheaply!

Not for my colleague. The NHS ones are unsuitable for him and his hearing aids cost nearly £5000 for the 2 of them. Because he's had to go private he doesn't even get the batteries for free on the NHS either.
 Pathetic. - rtj70
Our libraries give out hearing aid batteries for free.
 Pathetic. - VxFan
Do they issue a fine if they're not returned within a fortnight ;)

My colleague is quite lucky actually. Another colleague also wears hearing aids and has an ample supply of batteries to pass on.
 Pathetic. - Ted

>> www.doro.co.uk/Products/Mobile-phones-and-accessories/Doro-PhoneEasy-612/
>>

I bought SWM a Doro 612 a year ago...she loves it, although she doesn't use it a lot. I use a Doro as well. I would have had a 612 but I needed a camera for work so I got a different, non-flip, model.

I liked the previous one I had with bigger buttons and a non-slip casing but the battery was going and it had no camera meaning I had to carry my digital Samsung everywhere.

Ted
>>
 Pathetic. - Roger.
I understand the DORO 612 has a camera. a modest 2megapixel one, which is OK for my purposes.
 Pathetic. - CGNorwich
Yes it does - As you say modest but fine for a snap.

My wife bought hers for the size and clarity of the text which you can alter as vision not 100%. Quite like using it myself - nicer than my cheapo Nokia. Always though the clam style phone was about the best design but they have all but disappeared now apart form the Doro with the necessity of large screens on smart phones.
 Pathetic. - Ted

You're right...Her's is probubbly a 610........look the same.

Ted
 Pathetic. - Roger.
Well- Sod's Law HAS kicked in!
The day after I received advice of shipment of my replacement phone I had need of my satnav.
Now, this is kept in a drawstring bag in our under-the-stairs cupboard.
Lo and behold! I extracted the satnav in its dinky case and as part of the extracted handful, there was my mobile phone too!
I blame SWMBO who must have grabbed the lot after our last foray with both devices and stuffed 'em all into the bag.
Ah well, I have about three quids worth of credit, so I'll use that up in my new phone before going GiffGaff.
 Pathetic. - Roger.
O - I do like my new phone!
It's the easiest bit of kit to set up I have ever bought.
Entirely intuitive, customisable to my exact needs, easy to use, adequate camera and even a slot for a micro SD card (now filled with a 4GB one).
My wife with her Samsung touch-screen thingy is jealous!
Result.
 Pathetic. - CGNorwich
Glad you like it.
 Pathetic. - Roger.
I've even input the MMS settings manually and sent a test photograph!
Crikey - progress!
Latest Forum Posts