Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen Golf IV - 02 1.9 Aircon fault
Thread Author: Alanovich Replies: 13

Volkswagen Golf IV - 02 1.9 Aircon fault - Alanovich
Well, it sounds expensive.

The aircon has gone not-very-cold in my Golf, that is to say the air is coolish, but really not up to scratch.

So I popped it to Kwik Fit to have it regassed, however they tried twice and could not get it significantly cooler, so they didn't charge me. Which is fine, however it doesn't solve the problem.

The technician at KF said that he can hear the pump "clicking" on and off as he was testing the sytem after the regas attempts, so he thought maybe the pump has gone.

Does that make sense to anyone on here? Am I in for a new pump here, if so is that a big/expensive job?

Thanks for any thoughts. Apart from "open the windows". ;-)
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 02 1.9 Aircon fault - Number_Cruncher
One way to see what's going on is to connect refrigeration pressure gauges to the high and low side, and see what the pressures are while the system is trying to run.

If the electrical supply to the compressor clutch is switching off, it suggests a pressure switch is opening for some reason.

Last edited by: Number_Cruncher on Thu 20 May 10 at 16:15
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 02 1.9 Aircon fault - Zero
the air con pump on the Lancer cycles on and off, Its designed to do it.

Does the revs dip or rise momentairly when the pump clicks?
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 02 1.9 Aircon fault - carmalade
The aircon pump on these is known as a variable displacement type which means that if the system is working correctly the pump will be engaged all the time while the a/c switch is on.The pump does not cycle on/off.As NC says above,the gas pressures need to checked to verify the correct operation.Also do both cooling fans work?hth
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 02 1.9 Aircon fault - Number_Cruncher
>>The aircon pump on these is known as a variable displacement type

Am I right to think that these have a bit of a reputation for shredding themselves, sending shard of carp into the system, blocking the orifice?

Volkswagen Golf IV - 02 1.9 Aircon fault - carmalade
Oh yes,got it in one.If the pump is toast ,then the complete system will need an overhaul.Probably not an economic proposition on a car this old.hth
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 02 1.9 Aircon fault - Fenlander
A real longshot but if it was the problem a right result.

On my 2001 Mondeo I had exactly the same symptoms and same feedback from the guys that regassed it. On mine the clutch was cutting in and out at random... seen by looking at the aircon pump and noticing when the pump clutch centre was failing to spin.

Lots of talk about a new pump being needed when I found an obscure source with information that the magnetic clutch could get tired and fail to pull in to spin the pump... but that this could be re-shimmed to close the static gap a little.

And sure enough I found the shim part numbers, sourced them from Ford for less than £1.50 and 20 mins under the car later it was A1... compared well with the £500 the dealer quoted for a new pump!
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 02 1.9 Aircon fault - hawkeye
World's most recherche air con problem fixed by Fenlander for £1.50. Result. You are a legend, F!
>> Probably not an economic proposition on a car this old.hth

Well, I reckon the car is worth 3-4 grand as a private sale. I'm intending to keep it for another 3 years, so I could cope with a bill running in to hundreds. Not sure about thousands though.

>> Also do both cooling fans work?hth

I have no idea. How do I check?
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 02 1.9 Aircon fault - Zero
>>
>> >> Also do both cooling fans work?hth
>>
>> I have no idea. How do I check?

you look behind the radiator in the engine bay, you will have at least one, sometimes two fans. They should come on when the aircon is on.
In response to Zero, no. The revs don't fluctuate.
Last edited by: Alanović on Fri 21 May 10 at 10:14
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 02 1.9 Aircon fault - Dave
Assuming it has the right amount of gas in it, you need to see the pressures. Usually the valve that varies the output of the compressor sticks, so you get no pumping. A new compressor fixes it easily.
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 02 1.9 Aircon fault - Injection Doc
these pumps do suffer with failing & if it needs replacing VAG now insist the system is dismantled & flushed to remove debris as I have seen many pumps that have been replaced fail very shortly after due to contamination.
I used to remove the HP pipes & flush into a blue cloth and allow the cloth to dry then put the cloth in the sun & see if it sparkles. If it does then obviously it has metal contamination
Latest Forum Posts