Non-motoring > C'mon then all you cooks... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 20

C'mon then all you cooks... - Runfer D'Hills
Righto then, there was some steak in the fridge. Felt inclined to do something different. So far, I've found some beer left over from Christmas and have chucked a couple of cans over the meat to marinade it in a casserole pot for an hour or two. Thinking beef in ale stew type thing. Never done that before. What next? I'm thinking, drain off the beef, cube it and fry, return meat to beer stock along with whatever veg we've got chopped up, chuck in some gravy stuff, make some mash, Robert is your dad's brother? Or can I be smarter?
 C'mon then all you cooks... - Zero
well you have gone about it slightly ass about face, but never mind..

Remove the meat from the beer and drain, keeping the beer.

Finely dice some onion and garlic and gently sauté till transparent in a tablespoon of olive oil and knob of butter in the pan.

Cube up the beef and roll in flour, then add to the onions in the pan, turn up the heat a bit and brown.

transfer the lot to the casserole, add the beer, add some gravy powder and tomato puree, and all your chopped up veg of choice then stir.

stuff it in the oven for two hours at a low heat, about 140 - 150 max
Sounds like a plan. Ta !
 C'mon then all you cooks... - Ambo
Easier and tastier (a relic of my carnivore days): Heat up a thick, dry griddle. Drop the un-oiled steak flat on it for one minute per side, then two minutes per side. Eat as soon as possible.
 C'mon then all you cooks... - Bromptonaut
Was about to suggest fried onions/garlic and rolling the meat in flour but Zero beat me too it.

Personally I'd delete the gravy powder but maybe add a dash of either Worcester Sauce or Marmite.
Thanks chaps, I've followed Z's recommendations on this occasion so we'll see, but I'm intrigued by your Marmite suggestion Bromp ! Normally do just show steak to the pan Draiber, lovely like that, but just fancied a change.
the gravy powder was just to thicken up the gravy, you'll not want it too thin with that mash
In the oven now. Smells great BTW !
 C'mon then all you cooks... - rtj70
>> the gravy powder was just to thicken up the gravy

That's exactly what we do when doing casseroles. I thought that was obvious to all except Humph. :-)
Not exactly sure why you think that Rob? I mentioned in the OP that I'd lob in some gravy stuff...I s'pose you can't help being Welsh and by default a bit slow eh?

:-))
 C'mon then all you cooks... - rtj70
I was pulling your leg because you asked about ideas to cook the meat on here ;-)
Sure, of course. Any seaweed recipes to offer?

:-)
 C'mon then all you cooks... - Kevin
>I was pulling your leg because you asked about ideas to cook the meat on here ;-)

It's a new concept for a Scotchman.. they usually eat it raw :-)
>> >I was pulling your leg because you asked about ideas to cook the meat on
>> here ;-)
>>
>> It's a new concept for a Scotchman.. they usually eat it raw :-)

Unless its deep fried in batter.
 C'mon then all you cooks... - DeeW
If you don't have gravy powder, then a good remedy is to add a couple of slices of bread that have been blitzed in a processor.... or grated anyway.
 C'mon then all you cooks... - Manatee
Or a small handful of pearl barley.
 C'mon then all you cooks... - Armel Coussine
I'd make a roux with flour in the oil with the onions after browning the meat cubes, herbs salt and pepper, then add the beer and bring to the boil before turning it all down and putting the meat and bits of turnip and stuff back for the recommended long slow casserole in the oven.

I like Worcester sauce myself and it seems to go with beer, but too much can make it very dominant. Herself hates it though so I just indulge in it with electric soup from time to time.

I am a very iffy cook having a taste for strong flavours and an impulsive, greedy nature. Sometimes I get away with it, sometimes I don't. Herself is much more disciplined, too disciplined I have been known to gripe. She's perfectly capable of calling two or three mingy cloves 'masses' of garlic.

I have the impression that beer is more difficult to cook with than wine.
Well, we've just eaten it. Jolly good it was too.

Seems to be a half bottle of whisky missing...

Top gear later eh ?

C'mon then all you cooks... - ....
>> I like Worcester sauce myself and it seems to go with beer, but too much
>> can make it very dominant. Herself hates it though so I just indulge in it
>> with electric soup from time to time.
>>
You owe me a new keyboard AC, Kölsch has erupted over mine now. I found this in the urban dictionary:

Electric Soup
"Electric Soup" is originally the colloquial name for the beverage made by infusing milk with natural gas which was readily available from broken gas lanterns in the hallways and closes of tenements and flats across Scotland before North Sea gas was used and electric lamps were introduced. "Electric Soup" was commonly made and consumed by tramps, alcoholics and delinquents and was reported to have a mind altering effect.

We started goin' in tae pubs together, then we went on tae secondary school, then we started on the electric soup.
 C'mon then all you cooks... - Armel Coussine
Well that's a new one on me gmac, the name I mean not the beverage which I have to say I don't fancy all that much, and confess with shame I have never tried although coal gas was the only gas there was in my youth. I picked up the expression from the Dear Bill column in Private Eye. What I mean by it is something very like a bloody mary: huge slug of vodka, juice of half a decent lime, too much Worcester Sauce, V8 vegetable juice or similar to taste.

It's a bit sickly and you can't drink more than two or three. But it does resemble a sort of dangerous Mediterranean soup.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 6 Mar 13 at 01:11
 C'mon then all you cooks... - ....
Latest Forum Posts