Non-motoring > Another new mobile phone request Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 28

Another new mobile phone request - bathtub tom
It looks like my old Nokia 3410's kicked the bucket and in the absence of savvy teenagers I thought I'd ask you lot.

I'm on PAYG and top up less than £5/month, with O2 at the moment. I don't think a contract would be worthwhile.

I'm after a 'phone that does calls and text messages, whose screen can be seen in sunlight. A camera may be useful, but necessary.

All suggestions welcome please.
 Another new mobile phone request - Pat
Nokia C1-01 is ideal as an effective and basic phone...and I suspect it has a camera too but I've never bothered with it!

Pat
 Another new mobile phone request - CGNorwich
Any of the basic cheapy Nokias would be my choice. Can't afford the luxury of a C1-01 myself but make do with a Nokia 100 which makes call, sends texts and has a torch and radio built in all for £9.99
 Another new mobile phone request - Zero
>> Any of the basic cheapy Nokias would be my choice. Can't afford the luxury of
>> a C1-01 myself but make do with a Nokia 100 which makes call, sends texts
>> and has a torch and radio built in all for £9.99

the 100 has no camera.
 Another new mobile phone request - CGNorwich

"the 100 has no camera."

I wondered why the pictures were so poor

I think think the OP said a camera was not absolutely necessary. Anyway my advice stands - any cheap Nokia with or without a camera
 Another new mobile phone request - MD
>>
>> "the 100 has no camera."

Hasn't a Camera. Perleeeaase!

Another new mobile phone request - swiss tony
>> >>
>> >> "the 100 has no camera."
>>
>> Hasn't a Camera. Perleeeaase!

Hasn't got a camera

or
Has not got a camera ??
>> >> >>
>> >> >> "the 100 has no camera."
>> >>
>> >> Hasn't a Camera. Perleeeaase!
>>
>> Hasn't got a camera
>>
>> or
>> Has not got a camera ??

Bankers.
 Another new mobile phone request - Manatee
Has no camera seems fine to me.

My mother told me that "got" in a sentence is nearly always redundant.
 Another new mobile phone request - Duncan
>> Has no camera seems fine to me.
>>
>> My mother told me that "got" in a sentence is nearly always redundant.
>>

She also told you not to speak to strange men and look what happened!
 Another new mobile phone request - Clk Sec
>>makes call, sends texts and has a torch and radio built in all for £9.99
>>the 100 has no camera.

That's a shame. The wife's looking for a replacement for the one she paid £9.99 for about a decade ago.
The Nokia C2-01 is a good all round phone, with a good camera, and is around 40 quid PAYG.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 12 Feb 13 at 16:49
 Another new mobile phone request - Duncan
Which? says the Nokia C1-01 £25 or the Samsung Monte Slide £40.

Both with a camera and good performers. Failing that pop into Tesco's and talk to the nice people there.
 Another new mobile phone request - Mapmaker
You cannot possibly be taken sensibly as a living human being if you don't have a proper smartphone.

;)
 Another new mobile phone request - FocalPoint
I have a Nokia 1650. It looks pretty good. Does it count as a smartphone?
 Another new mobile phone request - Crankcase
I have a very simple calls and texts and basic camera Nokia. Being with Virgin on payg they stack up something called Red Rewards, and that has got me a free replacement one of these phones every eighteen months or so for the past few years. I've even got one in stock unopened for when the current three year old one fails, if it ever does.
 Another new mobile phone request - Runfer D'Hills
Thing I notice about mobile phone calls is that they are almost never good news. Usually it's some combination or variation on someone cancelling or wanting to re-schedule a meeting at the eleventh hour, or wanting to whinge about something someone further down my company's food chain should or shouldn't have attended to, or to task me with something I wasn't expecting to have to do or find the time for, or wanting to change ( in their favour ) the terms of a contract at a point in its life cycle where they know I'll have little choice but to concede, or...

Wretched things.
 Another new mobile phone request - Robin O'Reliant
>> Thing I notice about mobile phone calls is that they are almost never good news.

>>

Spot on there Humph, every other mobile call I get seems to involve me spending time and petrol.
 Another new mobile phone request - -
I got a new contract phone a few months ago and very pleased with it too.

Its a Samsung X Cover2 / GT-C3350, clear and simple, designed for rough use, fully waterproof/dustproof and a belt slot built in plus integrated torch, clear colour screen with large numbers and proper buttons, but whats best is that i use it every day for at least half an hour and charge it only once a week, i expect it would last around a month on standby or with minimal use.

Should be cheap enough to buy.
 Another new mobile phone request - DP
You want one of these. It's even made in Blighty, so you'll be doing your bit for the balance of payments:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21387371

Go on, it's your duty. ;-)
 Another new mobile phone request - sherlock47
You know that there is only one phone to get - a Nokia 6310i

Long battery life about 3x as long as most modern phones
A screen you can see in the sun with good size font
Sufficiently bulky to know it is stil in your pocket (or impressive your admirers)
Software that actually works
No camera
and cheap carkits, etc

Just make sure that it is genuine Nokia not a Nokoff

And probably the only phone that appreciates in value!

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOKIA-6310i-UNLOCKED-SIM-FREE-SILVER-Battery-/330700702855?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item4cff4c4487
Last edited by: pmh on Tue 12 Feb 13 at 22:21

>> And probably the only phone that appreciates in value!

Dont think so, they cost more than 32.99. Was a good phone tho, possibly the best pure mobile phone ever made.
 Another new mobile phone request - henry k
The battery powers them for quite a few days but switch on Bluetooth and a daily recharge is best.
 Another new mobile phone request - rtj70
When I had (actually still have it and not needed!), the 6310i was always topped up by the car kit. So whilst it did indeed have a good battery life... I never charged it apart from in the car.
 Another new mobile phone request - sherlock47

>>
>> >> And probably the only phone that appreciates in value!
>>
>> Dont think so, they cost more than 32.99. Was a good phone tho, possibly the
>> best pure mobile phone ever made.
>

My last unmarked (but locked ) one bought at a carboot from its genuine owner cost me £5 - if you wander round ebay there are are retailers trying to get £90!

I have a a drawer full of old (in various states of condition) 6310s, carkits, batteries, leather cases, large capacity batteries . Just provided my father with one with a PAYG sim ,for a hospital stay. Lets see if somebody thinks it is worth nicking:)
 Another new mobile phone request - Mike Hannon
I bought a Nokia C2 01 (I think it is) a couple of months ago to fulfill my very basic texting/calling needs, when Orange France offered it on line for 30 euros.
It works OK, with better signal performance on the generally carp French network than my old Samsung slider and the camera (3mp) is pretty good in my opinion, but it is absolutely useless for receiving or sending texts longer than the standard 140 characters.
In my experience - which doesn't of course include smartphones - each generation of handset following on from my first Nokia 402 has had more gizmos but been less well made and worked less well than what went before.
A bit like most cars in my opinion.
 Another new mobile phone request - bathtub tom
I was in town today and had a look at a few. I thought the Nokia 113 seemed ideal at £25 until I passed Carphone Warehouse and saw this: mob.org/phone/samsung/samsung_gt-e2121b.html

£4. No top-up required. I just put my SIM card in and go.

There's got to be a catch. If something seems too good to be true.................? But at four quid I can easily afford to chuck it.

Comments?
 Another new mobile phone request - henry k
>>Comments?
Wrong link?
 Another new mobile phone request - rtj70
Online that Samsung is listed as £29.95 SIM free at Carphonewarehouse. So £4 is a bargain... if it's any good. There's a Samsung E1200 and that's £24.95.

www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/SAMSUNG_E2121B/HANDSET?colourCode=BLACK
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 13 Feb 13 at 16:37
Latest Forum Posts