Non-motoring > US SIM card Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 7

US SIM card - smokie
I'm planning the usual March trip to the States, all being well will be nearly three weeks and be taking in Daytona Bike Week, endurance racing at Sebring, partying in Key West then some R&R in Daytona.

So in the past I've lived without my mobile phone, although last year used Viber for WiFi calls home. One year I bought a Tracfone but that year I was job hunting and one interview gobbled up the 30 minute allowance.

What I'm thinking about is a SIM with a data plan (data only if necessary). I don't remember ever seeing SIMs on their own in the likes of Walgreens or Walmart, so was wondering if anyone here knows what options there are. eBay has some US SIMs but I'm always a bit wary of that sort of stuff on eBay. Obviously hoping to keep the cost down. The phone is a HTC Desire so has enough bands. Main use on the move will be navigation, but also data access at the racetrack might be handy.

(btw I have downloaded a navigation program which works offline so that may be OK, but seems to not have very precise destination input ability.

US SIM card - No FM2R
Type in "Walmarts prepaid" to Google

e.g. www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Talk-AT-T-Compatible-SIM-w-45-AirTime-Card-Bundle-5-Savings/21923980
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 29 Jan 13 at 21:05
 US SIM card - smokie
I think that'll do the trick very nicely, thanks
 US SIM card - sooty123
I think Target also sell them, that's where most of the lads got their's from last time I was out there.
 US SIM card - R.P.
Do you need an US address to register them ?
 US SIM card - Manatee
That's probably the case. It's bound to be harder to buy a si
SIM than a gun.
 US SIM card - smokie
LOL - well that's OK because I know some Florida residents who would be OK with that
 US SIM card - Biggles
What I use is a T-mobile hotspot with a prepaid data only SIM. The hotspot device is about $100 and the prepaid rates depend on the volume - 1 week, 300 MB costs $15. The advantage of a hotspot is that you can carry on using all your devices - phone, tablet, laptop.
Latest Forum Posts