Non-motoring > Reduction in asthma since smoking ban Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Lygonos Replies: 10

Reduction in asthma since smoking ban - Lygonos
Apparently 12% drop in emergency admissions due to asthma in first year after smoking ban.

Who'da thunk it.

Considering some 2,000 people die annually (many children) from asthma attacks that seems a reasonabe suggestion that secondary smoke does harm others.

Of course how do we make up for the drop in govt revenues if people smoke less - motorists prepare for more humping :-)

edit: linky ~ www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21067532
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 21 Jan 13 at 07:41
 Reduction in asthma since smoking ban - Haywain
The figures relate to 'childhood asthma' - so, how many children spent significant parts of their lives in smoky public places? I'd have thought that a smoky atmosphere at home, where it isn't banned, would be the governing factor.
There was some concern at the time of the legislation in Scotland that smoking rates at home would increase as workers wouldn't get their fix at work - it seems, however, that smoking rates have declined generally.

Is it due to the ban? Is it due to the financial squeeze making smoking less affordable?

It has long been known that it doesn't matter that much where smokers smoke - their children suffer an increased risk of asthma flare-ups even if they smoke at the back door, or in a different room to where the children tend to be.

In ~2006 I think Dundee Uni followed up bar staff from before the Scottish ban and for some time afterwards and found measurable improvements in lung function and symptoms related to cigarette smoke in both smokers and non-smokers, asthmatics and non-asthmatics.

Reduction in asthma since smoking ban - Zero
There has been a corresponding fall in the number of smokers, about 6% less.
The interesting bit to me is the corroboration between illness and secondary smoking, something that vested interests continue to deny.

The ban/economic/social reasons for reducing smoking are open to statistical tweakage by said vested interests as usual of course.

Smoking rates in men have been faling for years yet asthma rates have not - a closer link between young women smokers (where rates are largely static) and childhood asthma mayhaps?

Reduction in asthma since smoking ban - Dog
>>motorists prepare for more humping<<

= = = > www.youtube.com/watch?v=usGI7F6H9tY

:}
 Reduction in asthma since smoking ban - zippy
My ex did some analysis for her studies which showed an increased incidence of hospital admissions for respiratory problems around bonfire night. I forget the exact figures but the percent rate of increase was in double figures!
Last edited by: zippy on Mon 21 Jan 13 at 09:13
 Reduction in asthma since smoking ban - zookeeper
pet hair and dust mites must be part responsible?
 Reduction in asthma since smoking ban - Zero
Smoking in the house kills dust mites......
 Reduction in asthma since smoking ban - madf
>> Smoking in the house kills dust mites......
>>

Whisky and gin kill worms...
 Reduction in asthma since smoking ban - Cliff Pope
Perhaps people are put off going into hospital unless already dying because of the picket lines of tobacco addicts by the entrance.

One of the unsavoury consequences of the ban has been shifty looking groups of staff clustering round half-open doorways, letting smoke into the buildings and leaving piles of fag ends on the pavement.
Latest Forum Posts