Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen Polo IV - 03 1.4 Squealing rear disc brakes. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 6

Volkswagen Polo IV - 03 1.4 Squealing rear disc brakes. - maltrap
My wife's Polo has an annoying brake squeal but only when being reserved, when the brakes are applied.
They're disc brakes, i've had the pads out & put copper grease between piston & backing plate which improved the situation, but only for a couple of days. Can anyone suggest
any other ideas ?
 Volkswagen Polo IV - 03 1.4 Squealing rear disc brakes. - -
My MB rears were similarly noisy especailly in first use of the day, coppaslipping didn't sort it, which surprised me.

Eurocarparts had their 30% off deal at the time, (25% might still be on by the way), and a new set of Pagids for the princely sum of £16ish cured the noise, the old set were barely worn but the squealing really annoyed.

Volkswagen Polo IV - 03 1.4 Squealing rear disc brakes. - Zero
Yup change the pads, and I have Pagids all round on the lancer and they are squeal free.
 Volkswagen Polo IV - 03 1.4 Squealing rear disc brakes. - L'escargot
>> My wife's Polo has an annoying brake squeal but only when being reserved ...........

'Er indoors doesn't usually squeal when she's being reserved, only when she's being extrovert.
;-)
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 29 Sep 12 at 14:38
 Volkswagen Polo IV - 03 1.4 Squealing rear disc brakes. - Pat
Shame on you L'es;)

See, I do read every post!

Pat
 Volkswagen Polo IV - 03 1.4 Squealing rear disc brakes. - Number_Cruncher
The squeal being direction sensitive gives a clue to its origin.

If the centre of the line of action of the force applied by the piston is too close to the trailing edge of the pad, there is a mechanism which can create squeal, and I'mnot surprised that copperslip hasn't cured it.

Typically when a brake is susceptible to this squeal mechanism there will be either a stepped piston or a partial shim which will bias the application force towards the leading edge of the pad when the vehicle is travelling forwards. Obviously, when you reverse, the leading edge becomes the trailing edge....

To fix the fault;

- if the piston is stepped, make sure the piston has not rotated away from the nominal alignment

- if there are partial shims, make sure they are the genuine items, and the correct shape and thickness

- make sure the pads are genuine ones rather than spurious ones

Last edited by: Number_Cruncher on Sat 29 Sep 12 at 23:45
 Volkswagen Polo IV - 03 1.4 Squealing rear disc brakes. - L'escargot
>> Shame on you L'es;)

I bet you only squeal when you're being extrovert!
;-)
Latest Forum Posts