Computer Related > Moto G Fixable or Jiggered? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 13

Moto G Fixable or Jiggered? - Bromptonaut
The Lad has Motorola Moto G. Pretty sure it's the same 8GB XT1032 as mine, it's certainly physically identical. Supplied with KitKat it was subsequently upgraded to Lollipop and no doubt is well laden with Apps, Music and pictures.

Last week it started showing a shed load of error messages (his phrase). Gist of them was that various components in Android had stopped working. After responding to a few of them he turned the phone off and on again. It went through the boot screens - bat image>various globes etc and back to bat then screen goes blank.

We've tried, to no effect, the various solutions here:

tinyurl.com/olghuug (Motorola customer portal)

Following the steps for lollipop I can get into the boot menu but selecting restore gives an error message 'boot up failed'.

Any suggestions?
 Moto G Fixable or Jiggered? - smokie
I really can't tell you whether this is barking up the right tree but I'd guess it is, and it's certainly the way I'd be going before replacing if I'd exhausted all other avenues - forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g/help/how-to-revive-hard-bricked-moto-g-t2833798, essentially reloading firmware and stuff.

If you don't fancy trying that and are going to chuck it, send it to me, as that looks like a bit of fun. In the unlikely event that I get it working you can have it back.. .:-)
 Moto G Fixable or Jiggered? - No FM2R
Simon,

I don't quite understand exactly where you are getting to when following the Lollipop steps. Can you clarify?

Had he rooted the phone or otherwise messed with it?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 6 Jun 15 at 15:47
The 'straightforward' options of pressing holding power button for a few seconds or 2 minutes do nothing. As there's no display I'm then going to the section on external reset.

By holding the power and vol down keys I obtain a menu similar that in a PC BIOS. It lists:

Normal Powerup
Recovery
Factory
Barcodes
RP tools
QCOM

Per instructions (3) I select recovery. Result is a message 'boot up failed'. It does not therefore progress to the No Command screen and step for etc.

I've tried the other options but they send me back into same loop as a normal start ie blank screen.
What happens if you get it to that menu, so it is powered on but not booted, if you connect it to a computer.

Does the computer recognise that something is there? If so, what?

I assume it has an SD card. Take that out for the time being. Did that make any difference?

I doubt that the phone is jiggered, its just working out what to do for the best.

Is there anything on there that the boy cares about losing?
The computer recognises it to extent of producing a default 'USB bleep' whn it's connected/disconnected but it's not visible in Win Explorer (I've not tried looking in whatever device manager is called these days).

No SD card and only stuff Lad will want is pictures.

Bearing in mind my Packard Bell PC's congenital problem with recognising USB devices I'm currently seeing if the old Samsung netbook running Win XP can see anything.
To be honest this is probably impossible to guide you through. If it was mine i would sit and hammer at it trying various things and would eventually work it out. But it'll be impractical to do that remotely.

Unless you fancy it yourself I would give serious consideration to Smokie's offer.

You have to get to the point where a computer will recognise it. Be that a UNIX machine or a windows machine.

Then you follow instructions with it similar to the link Smokie gave (although I think others may be clearer). You are effectively trying to root it and replace the OS, albeit replace it with the one it should have, if you see what I mean.
TBH Mark that's pretty much what I'm thinking now. Was hoping somebody might have a link to the equivalent of the commands in the fdisk utility for aPC.

Given time I might crack it but user needs working phone by Monday.
Can you buy him or borrow hima cheap one until this is resolved?

If not, bite the bullet and get him a new one. You, or Smokie, can then play around at your leisure.

p.s. Its not under warranty at all is it? Sometimes a contract can give you more advantages than you might think. In particular the companies will quite often offer a phone upgrade upto 4 months before the current contract expires in return for an extended renewal.
>> Can you buy him or borrow hima cheap one until this is resolved?

Yeah, he can have my Sony Ericsson K310i. :-P

Suspect he'll be using his 'flexible friend' to fund a new smartphone before Download Festival starts on Wednesday.
 Moto G Fixable or Jiggered? - smokie
... I'm away tomorrow, off to France for the Le Mans 24h - back in a week...
 Moto G Fixable or Jiggered? - Zero
I would be looking at the fastboot route via the pc (search the web for fast boot) and then downloading and putting on a new factory (or rooted) image.

www.teamandroid.com/2015/01/12/enter-fastboot-mode-moto-g/
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 6 Jun 15 at 22:00
Nothing I tried could get the phone beyond the fastboot screen or get it recognised by a PC. Lost patience with it in the end and took it to local repair shop.

Should be back Wednesday at cost of £35.
I'd have done it for £34.
Latest Forum Posts