Non-motoring > Broadband options. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FotheringtonTomas Replies: 16

Broadband options. - FotheringtonTomas
I have put this here rather than "computing related" since it's a question unlike "My computer has broken...", and relates to telephones too.

Anyway.

I need broadband at a place. It is residential, has an existing BT line, is about 1/2 mile from an exchange. 2GB cap would be OK, 10GB more than adequate. It doesn't have to be the very fastest, but should not be slow. BT line rental is currently paid, and a "cheap provider" (18866) used for calls, normally half a dozen a day at most. This setup could either continue or be changed.

All the "stuff" ancilliary (rental not included, free calls ar weekends or when the sun goes behind a cloud, that sort of thing) is a nightmare to comprehend.

If you've been through this, or know the topic inside out, what's a good package?
 Broadband options. - Rhubarb
O2 offer a good package if someone has an O2 mobile and spends at least £10 a quarter. £7.50 pm for <8meg 'unlimited' downloads with free wireless modem. I've been with them for a couple of years now and have had no problem. CS was UK based last time I used them and they were pretty good.
Last edited by: Rhubarb on Thu 22 Apr 10 at 17:03
 Broadband options. - Bellboy
junk bt and go cable
if you cant then my package at work works well for me i still think they think im a home (care home probably) though rather than business
anyway its orange i pay £15 for my broadband per month and i normally get about 5.2 watsits
i also on another account pay orange for all my charges which worked out cheaper than the ever so changing bt ways of doing things
i only pay bt for the line rental and i dont think they even deserve this.

probably no help but it got my thingers working out on the keyboard .....
 Broadband options. - John H
Are you a Sky customer? If so, your basic spec broadband is free from them and includes some free phone calls to.
www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/broadband-options/broadband-base/

Otherwise look up www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband
 Broadband options. - Zero
whats the exchange name and postcode? we can tell you who provide what at that exchange.

Off the cuff, talk talk 8 mb broadband, with line rental, and free weekend calls, 22 quid month al in.
 Broadband options. - Dog
I've bin with these folk for over a year now ~ www.plus.net/
I gits me phone line + eve & wknd calls + BB = £18
 Broadband options. - SteelSpark
>> I've bin with these folk for over a year now ~ www.plus.net/
>> I gits me phone line + eve & wknd calls + BB = £18

I have been with them for over five years now, I haven't shopped around as much as I perhaps should have, but I have had very few reliability problems over the years and when there have been any issues their customers service has been very responsive.
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Fri 23 Apr 10 at 01:10
 Broadband options. - Dog
>>> have been with them for over five years now <<<

I've sampled many isp's over the years, I actually like swopping (careful!)
I also avoid getting *any* spam that way.
But although I have recently had leanings toward 02, I think I'll stay with plusnet, for the same reasons you give.
 Broadband options. - Rhubarb
tinyurl.com/2fmcun will show you what is available at a particular exchange.
 Broadband options. - Bromptonaut
Thanks for that link Roo. V useful though confirms my suspicion that BT wholesale is sole BB provider on my exchange.
>> tinyurl.com/2fmcun

Useful link, to be considered first of all.

Damn. I can only get BT or Plusnet.

Oh well. That makes the choice simpler.

Edit: Why isn't "damn" in the "swear filter", when "b*****" *is*?
Re-edit: "By Our Lady!"
Last edited by: FotheringtonTomas on Fri 23 Apr 10 at 11:41
 Broadband options. - Soupytwist
If you're choosing Plus on the basis of anyone but BT you'll be delighted to learn that they're owned by BT.

However, I've been with Plus since well before BT bought them and not noticed any degradation of service, they've always been good.
Is there any real difference between plusnet & BT, apart from about £6.50/year?
 Broadband options. - John H

>>
>> Off the cuff talk talk 8 mb broadband with line rental and free weekend calls
>> 22 quid month al in.
>>

Moneysavingexpert and talktalk state that for £18.48 per month you now get 40GB at a speed of "upto" 24Megs and inclusive of line rental and weekend+evening calls. This is a standard price, it is NOT a special offer just for first 3 months or 6 months.
broadband.talktalk.co.uk/products/broadband/compare-plans
Moneysavingexpert also tells you how you can get £50 cashback.

Broadband options. - rtj70
Go for speed plus service. Unless cost is the primary driver. My opinion only.

The house we are buying could get ADSL upto 6Mbps (ish) and possibly free. Virgin Media upto 50Mbps and whatever that costs. And the new BT Integrity service with upto 40Mbps down and probably closer to 20Mbps. But Upload from this is faster.

For me upload being faster will be useful when working from home and maybe even streaming/copying files from my home network. Still undecided.

As I say it's more than the initital cost per month - it's what service you get. Which is why I am undecided. Virgin Media are excellent and I've had a 20Mbit/s service and got very close.
 Broadband options. - bathtub tom
>>Virgin Media are excellent and I've had a 20Mbit/s service and got very close.

Splutters in disgust!!!!!!!!

It looks like I'll have to go to the ombudsman with them!

Broadband options. - Crankcase
Yes, mine is 20 and every time I've ever tested it it's been 18 to 19, with the occasional "really is 20". Sorry Mr Tom.

Latest Forum Posts