Non-motoring > Liverpool Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 12

Liverpool - RattleandSmoke
Just spent the afternoon in Liverpool to take some photographs. It is the first time I've been there on leisure since about 2005 and was amazed to see how much it has changed. I've always liked Liverpool and it is great to see what a transformed and wonderful city it now is.

I still don't get the fuss about the Liver building though, there are buildings more impressive than that in Manchester which don't get a mention, I think the Liver building is just very famous for what is known for.

I see Liverpool has played down the Beatles references a little bit, but it still annoys me, to me there are far better bands from Liverpool than the Beatles but I wasn't around in the 1960's so I can't really get a proper understanding of how big they where.

Is a very different city than Manchester, Liverpool looks prettier but with so many scousers living in Manchester I think there are still a lot more opportunities here than Liverpool, Manchester's economy is much much bigger.

However Liverpool has recently succeeded in reversing its population decline and with more investment it could become a city for the wealthy rather than a city associated with poverty.

Just never seen such a transformation, Manchester has of course been transformed a lot more so, there still loads of cranes in the city centre now, six years after the Manchester boom when there was over 100 cranes in the city centre but I as I am in Manchester city weekly I haven't really noticed it, just every week another buildings gone up.

So it was so nice to see a drastic change in a city.
 Liverpool - bathtub tom
Have you counted your wheel trims? ;>)
Went by train, cheaper and no need to worry about scousers knicking my wheel trims :). But I took a Blackberry, A Samsung Galaxy S, my bridge camera and my wallet. I can confirm I still have them alll.

Liverpool is just a totally different place now, ten years ago it was just like Warrington or Stockport, a bit of a dump now it has been transformed into a true European class city. And being a manc I am supposed to hate Liverpool!

Ten years ago people just headed straight for the docks and avoided the city centre itself, now the city centre is suburb in its own right.

I am sure it still has some desperate social and economic problems but as a tourist I didn't hang around to explore those areas.
 Liverpool - zookeeper
is it true what they say about scouse seagulls , they apparently fly upside down......
 Liverpool - VxFan
>> they apparently fly upside down......

Dey do do dat dough don't dey dough. Eh? Eh? Eh?
eee arr eee arr, calm down calm down!
 Liverpool - VxFan
>> eee arr eee arr

You sound more like a farmer than a Liverpudlian.

IIRC, it was actually Alright! Alright! Calm down!
 Liverpool - Slidingpillar
In the days when I travelled and visited people for my job, Liverpool was where I saw the greatest poverty and in the middle of that, the only place where I got an invitation to lunch. This was politely refused with a made up appointment elsewhere - I was not supposed to accept gifts etc.

I also got accosted by a group of teenagers, who could well have been illiterate, and could not hold a coherent conversation in English. Nothing to do with accents, I was pretty good at coping there. At the time I came away with the view I was seeing the future long term unemployed.

I have met similar conditions earlier in both Manchester and Salford, but for the welcome, Liverpool beats them by quite a margin.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Fri 30 Sep 11 at 12:59
 Liverpool - rtj70
I with Rattle about big changes and improvements in Liveroool. I've ben a few times in the last couple of months snd really enjoyed it. The new Liveroool One shopping area was impressive.
 Liverpool - R.P.
Liverpool is a good place to go, good venues and decent places to visit in the daytime - we went there a few weeks ago by crossing over on the famous ferry across the Mersey. Top place.
 Liverpool - Dutchie
I remember Liverpool when it had proper docks and sailings from Amerika was regular.

Containers changed everything over the years ports like Felixstow took over.

I always liked going ashore in Liverpool.
 Liverpool - R.P.
By coincidence "Nowhere Boy" (John Lennon biopic) is on C4 tonight (catch it 45 mins on C4+1)
 Liverpool - Stuartli
Liverpool is a great place and Merseyside Police's zero tolerance means that there's little, if any, problems in the city at night. Certainly far safer than in my own resort town a few miles north for much of the time and, ironically, policed by the Merseyside force.

Anyone who uses the train services on Merseyside will be well aware of the staggering amount of new homes being built in the city (not normally visible from the main traffic routes).

But there are still many areas in need of renovation, an expensive pastime at the moment.
Latest Forum Posts