Non-motoring > Haynes Motor Museum Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 11

Haynes Motor Museum - sherlock47
As I was driving past on Saturday with time to spare, I decided to make a visit.

Best described as disappointing. The best part of £10 to see rows of cars in a fairly sterile eviroment. Very little in the way of added value to the displays - the few words of description with most cars added very little to my knowledge - although I did only spend time reading at those vehicles in which I had some existing interest.

The layout of the displays appeared as random, with almost an emphasis on grouping by color! Although having now read the Wiki page I now understand that there is some logic in the display halls.

A distinct lack of what I would regard as some of the icons of the history of british cars with notable omissions of cars on display.

Anybody else had a similar views/experience?

www.haynesmotormuseum.com/home.php

But as a contrast I then came across the Wessex Vintage Fair, a 2 day event at Trowbridge,- a real value for money event at £3.00 - with an eclectic mix of exhibits - from a collectors display of oil cans/grease guns, thro antique garden machinery, to full size traction engines.

The most sucessful' exhibitors' were those selling tarpaulins! But I did enjoy the best part of a dry 2 hrs!

Haynes Motor Museum - Injection Doc
Totally agree PMH
The musem seems to of stood still for years and there is nothing really dynamic for the charge ! its also very rare to actually see a car go out round the track there !
The vintage fair has become really busy over the last three years or so and is very good , shame about the Rain this year. Last year was an absolute blast .
 Haynes Motor Museum - spamcan61
I found Haynes has the same problem as Beaulieu, most of the cars are crammed together, so you can't really appreciate the lines/styling of the cars or walk round them; with the exception of the XJ220. It does look like a more or less random selection of cars in a shed.
 Haynes Motor Museum - Michael Harle-Griffin
I find the museum fascinating. It is a shame you didn't look a bit deeper into the different Halls and see the threads that run through them. It is made much easier if you buy a catalogue.

The time line of American cars. The Vet & Vintage Hall, Dawn of Motoring, The Millennium Hall where the future classics are on show. The in depth look at advertising. etc etc etc.

Where else in the UK would you find a Model J Duesenberg next to a Madame X, V16 Cadillac?

Where else would you find the history of the motorcar orientated gaming machine.

I would also like to see your list of missing British motoring icons amongst the 400 or so on display.

Did you see their Summer Supercar Exhibition in 2008 or their Summer Mini Exhibition in 2009 Or the amazing Summer Ferrari Exhibition in 2010. This year it will be The E-Types 50th with a unique collection of D,C, XKSS and E Types.

Also which other museum takes its cars out for a live action moving history day on their track or do Dream car Rides 8 times a year. Which other museum gives you a chance at riding in an XJ 220. Try the Rare Breeds Day in September ....fascinating.

Oh and did I mention the £3.5 Million planned building works due to start in September.

I bet you like Jeremy Clarkson too don't you?
Everyone to their own opinion!
You must either work there, visit very regularly, or have the catalogue to hand. My comments stand and I note that I am not alone.
 Haynes Motor Museum - Dutchie
I am curious now about this museum.

Michael Harle-Griffin fascinating name.
 Haynes Motor Museum - VxFan
>> You must either work there

The Curatorial Director, if I'm not mistaken.
 Haynes Motor Museum - rtj70
>> >> You must either work there
>>
>> The Curatorial Director, if I'm not mistaken.
>>

Micheal Penn? But I smell a rat :-(
I also smelt a rat! He has used the same pen name (but unable to spell Michael (micheal!)) to heavily endorse a book published by Haynes under an alternative pseudonym of 'wessex5'.

Currently being remaindered at a very heavily discounted price on Amazon!
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1859608515/ref=cm_rdp_olp

If they are currently spending £3.5m on new facilities they are obviously aware of the need to update the experience.

perhaps as a new member he would like to tell us something about himself:)
uk.linkedin.com/pub/micheal-penn/10/359/441
 Haynes Motor Museum - Harleyman
Can't comment on the Haynes museum itself, never been; but I find all transport museums much of a muchness, far sooner visit a show or rally.

Cars, steam engines and motorcycles, in fact any kind of machinery, are far more appealing when they're actually working (or even just in use) rather than sitting in a glass case forever like a stuffed owl.

Note to self; if I ever do visit the Haynes museum, I do hope their guide is more accurate than their Harley-Davidson workshop manuals!

Haynes Motor Museum - Duncan
The best thing about The Haynes Museum is the cafe. Quite useful if one is travelling to/from The West Country.
 Haynes Motor Museum - captain chaos
I know what you mean, Harleyman. I found Chiltern manuals much better when working on American cars.
Latest Forum Posts