Non-motoring > Burgled ! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 26

Burgled ! - Ted

Well, not really, but the police logged it as such.

Just finishing our meagre, pensioner's meal in the dining room we heard a crash.from the hall. About 1915 hrs 'cos Emmerdale was on. Snowball, we thought....no, it was too much of a crash. I went into the hall and the front door was open and there was a small pile of snow on the inside mat. I still didn't twig until I tried to push the door to and it wouldn't catch.
A bit of the lock keeper plate was on the hall floor and there was a footprint on the door above where the snow was.
I checked the lounge and tried to get SWMBO to check upstairs but she wouldn't. I had to go myself....domestic equality ? Pah !

I phoned the Bill, a nice lady logged my call and said she'd send an occifer round, a couple of minutes later she phoned back and said not to go out as there would be footprints in the snow and she was sending a dog van so it's passenger could have a sniff round. He duly arrived but there was little to do and shortly two bobbies arrived in the divisional van.
They came in, a brief discussion ensued about who was going to sit at the table , in the warm and do the paperwork, eat the choccie biccies and get the hottest coffee. The other was banished to ask around the neighbours. Another reason, he said, for him staying in was that I had the Manchester City match on !
Anyway, they were very good, did everything right and we had a good laugh and I told them a few tales about when policemen were real men armed with only a wooden stick....not these modern nancy boys dripping with ironmongery !

They put plastic sheets over the footprints in the drive, finished the coffees and jokes session and rang for a SOCO.

A nice lady arrived, declined a drink, photographed the prints and covered my nice white front door in fingerprint powder.....nothing obvious showing there......got to clean the ruddy door tomorrow ! Lots of paperwork left for me.......I might have a go at the trauma counselling !

We hadn't yet fully locked the door and it was on the day lock, it locks ok on the top and bottom catches and I'll get a plate tomorrow for a quid or so. I might investigate making a steel one myself instead of the brittle cast ones you buy.

All in all, an interesting experience.
My own opinion is that it was teenagers larking about, a house or two up the road had been snowballed about the same time. I guess one of them had a kick at the door and was so surprised when it burst open that he ran away.
There were no wet footprints on the Amtica ( name drop ) floor in the hall.

I can't imagine the car keys were a target...not an '06 automatic Note !

Funny old world

Ted
 Burgled ! - RattleandSmoke
Any car could be a target. I had a call this morning from a woman who was very worried about her backups as a lot of her neighbours have been burgled. This three minutes walk away from where you live.

I am not taking any chances, all the computers are sleeping with me tonight although I would be surprised if anything happened in this weather. However my old Corsa got smashed in when it was snowing.

Burgled ! - rtj70
Sorry to hear the bad news - I know the feeling when you get burgled as I used to live on Cross Street as a student (90/91) and we got done twice in two weeks! We were in the second time and the police turned up pretty quickly but didn't catch them. They came back for the things they couldn't take the first time. Nearly met them face to face though - coming up the stairs.

Also had car keys stolen (and the car) in 2000... a 6 month old Golf GTi. That was at our old house. Fingers crossed. Not that we live near Rattle or Ted.
 Burgled ! - rtj70
On new year's eve a while back our son's car got broken into and we called the police on New Year's day.... SOCO came out in a few hours and got a blood sample. DNA matched to a known suspect and they got done. The SOCO were excited when they found the blood on the door. Within 10 minutes of them being there it pored down and the blood would have been washed away.
 Burgled ! - henry k
Sorry about your " interesting experience.
Your reasoning seems to fit the circumstances and it would appear to be a bit of yobbery.

"We hadn't yet fully locked the door and it was on the day lock, it locks ok on the top and bottom catches and I'll get a plate tomorrow for a quid or so. I might investigate making a steel one myself instead of the brittle cast ones you buy."

Consider fitting a "London Bar"
If you are not aware of them there is a photo in the link below.
www.pentlandlocksmiths.co.uk/edinburgh-kickstop-london-bars.html
 Burgled ! - Ted

We have London bars at the bike club.. I made and fitted them.
Our front door is secure enough when it's fully locked....UPVC with 4 double throw locking bars going into the metal frame.

Ted

Burgled ! - R.P.
Sorry to hear about the Burglary Ted..
 Burgled ! - Pat
Me too, I hope Mrs Ted wasn't too unnerved by it all.

Pat
 Burgled ! - Old Sock
Us drug dealers recommend an outward-opening steel door. :-)

Sorry to hear about your incident, Ted - it's easy to think these things only happen to someone else....
 Burgled ! - Leif
Not a nice experience. You would think burglars would not pay their respects at that time of the evening when people are likely to be in, especially given the snow.
 Burgled ! - Skip
Sorry to hear about your experience, it must have been a bit unnerving for you both.
Was the house in darkness looking at it from the front ?

Andy
 Burgled ! - Bellboy
bang a load of 4 inch nails through the door from the inside out and then if he returns you have him nailed
;-)
not nice i know by the way teddsie
 Burgled ! - Iffy
Ted,

Thoroughly unpleasant, but at least your police training meant you could deal with what happened calmly and logically.

A phrase I often hear in court said on behalf of clumsy attempted burglars is: "He has very little recollection of the events of that night, your honour."

Courtspeak for: "He was out of his head on drink and/or drugs."

Unfortunately, this lad is almost certainly local, but he may well not remember what he did, or if he does remember, he probably doesn't know which house he did it to.

Last edited by: Iffy on Thu 2 Dec 10 at 13:03
 Burgled ! - Ted

I really don't think it was a serious attempt at thieving.
Had victim support on fone today and got home to find a card through the door from our local PCSO.....all seem more bothered than me
I'm not sure I would have liked him to be on drugs if I caught him....he wouldn't have felt as much pain when I broke his leg/arm......the bobby suggested that if he was unconscious then to get a good set of dabs on a kitchen knife and give it SOCO...nice thought and a bit of common sense........hehe.
We were only a door's thickness away, in the next room. The lights in the hall were on, as were the front room's and the outside light by the door.

No new problems with SWMBO's mental state......she's OK. Although, she cleaned the door this morning and forgot the frame...I shall censure her later for that....it's just not good enough !

It was only a minor incident, really...a house further down had a sneaker into the back door one evening and handbag and car went. Several other Mercs/Audis have gone recently but I think next door would have been the target for carnappers...an'09 Freelander...in black !

Thanks for all good wishes
 Burgled ! - smokie
Just got home and found all my doors and windows wide open and everything gone....

..What kind of sick person does that to someone's Advent Calendar?

Last edited by: smokie on Fri 3 Dec 10 at 23:40
 Burgled ! - sherlock47
One of our neigbours lost a Range Rover and Porsche 911 this week. Broken window and (non visible) keys from draw in hallway. What he did not understand was how they got the 911 away silently from the garage directly under the bedroom. It was a an uphill driveway so pushing was not an option - maybe towed it out with a Prius?

Police suggested that he should sleep with keys. (Joke hidden there if you are old enough to remember one of my other neighbours exploits!)

My guess is that both vehicles were inside containers within an hour.
Last edited by: pmh on Fri 3 Dec 10 at 10:25
 Burgled ! - BobbyG
They not have a house alarm?
 Burgled ! - Fenlander
>>>he did not understand was how they got the 911 away silently from the garage directly under the bedroom.

It's a factor of almost every story you hear like this... *I couldn't understand how we never heard anything*.

Folks underestimate how soundly we can (and dogs sometimes) sleep. Electronic detector alerts are the only sure way.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 3 Dec 10 at 11:38
 Burgled ! - sherlock47
But a 911 does make a very distinctive noise!
 Burgled ! - rtj70
Not when being pushed it doesn't. They probably put it on a low loader and never started it.
 Burgled ! - R.P.
Folks underestimate how soundly we can (and dogs sometimes) sleep

I boot up like a PC but the dog boots up like an AppleMac from "sleep"
 Burgled ! - FotheringtonTomas
>> ..What kind of sick feck

What is a "sick feck"? Are you trying to evade the swear-filter?

Sorry FT, cut and pasted from elsewhere - thought I edited that before hitting Go. Smokie
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 3 Dec 10 at 23:42
 Burgled ! - BobbyG
pmh, no offence to your neighbour but to have, I would guess in excess of £100k of cars, and keep the keys with effectively a glass window between them is a bit crazy. No house alarm?

Having said that, and as we wtnessed in the thread in HJ, its sometimes better that they get the keys without disturbing the householders?

When I hear of security advances like fingerprint or iris recognition it worries me as I am guessing these readers only detect the fingerprint, and not necessarily that there is a pulse going through the finger at the same time!
 Burgled ! - R.P.
and only a 1 in 8 chance of getting the correct finger...potentially a whole new meaning to hands-free.
 Burgled ! - rtj70
Someone in South Africa fitted a similar security device to a car and lost the finger.

Better to lose the car in my opinion too. Around ten years ago there were a series of car thefts in Manchester. Some people would stop at a junction and have a gun pointed at them! So the car was running and any hidden immobiliser off. Some also threatened when coming out of the house.

It would not take a genius to work out a possible location for keys would be in the drawer in the hall (but not easily got at with a fishing rod). But if they couldn't find them they might wake the owners.

I still bet the 911 was pushed or pulled away.
 Burgled ! - Iffy
...I still bet the 911 was pushed or pulled away...

...with a little help from the owner who can no longer afford the payments.

Ooo, wash my mouth out, but an inside job is the first thing the insurance company will look at.

Burgled ! - Ted

Really piling on the after care.. PCSO Ibrahim Mohammed called round today for a chat.
Hadn't really got time but said he was welcome to call for a cuppa chai any time.
Saw him up at the post office ten minutes later then i fell over on me arras on the ice.

Boken hip, pneumonia then death ? Not this time ! Nearly did another fall in town later...deftly turned it into a rather splendid ballet move !

Ted
Latest Forum Posts