Non-motoring > Burgled ! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 26

Burgled ! - Ted

Well, not really, but the police logged it as such.

Just finishing our meagre, pensioner's meal in the dining room we heard a crash.from the hall. About 1915 hrs 'cos Emmerdale was on. Snowball, we thought....no, it was too much of a crash. I went into the hall and the front door was open and there was a small pile of snow on the inside mat. I still didn't twig until I tried to push the door to and it wouldn't catch.
A bit of the lock keeper plate was on the hall floor and there was a footprint on the door above where the snow was.
I checked the lounge and tried to get SWMBO to check upstairs but she wouldn't. I had to go myself....domestic equality ? Pah !

I phoned the Bill, a nice lady logged my call and said she'd send an occifer round, a couple of minutes later she phoned back and said not to go out as there would be footprints in the snow and she was sending a dog van so it's passenger could have a sniff round. He duly arrived but there was little to do and shortly two bobbies arrived in the divisional van.
They came in, a brief discussion ensued about who was going to sit at the table , in the warm and do the paperwork, eat the choccie biccies and get the hottest coffee. The other was banished to ask around the neighbours. Another reason, he said, for him staying in was that I had the Manchester City match on !
Anyway, they were very good, did everything right and we had a good laugh and I told them a few tales about when policemen were real men armed with only a wooden stick....not these modern nancy boys dripping with ironmongery !

They put plastic sheets over the footprints in the drive, finished the coffees and jokes session and rang for a SOCO.

A nice lady arrived, declined a drink, photographed the prints and covered my nice white front door in fingerprint powder.....nothing obvious showing there......got to clean the ruddy door tomorrow ! Lots of paperwork left for me.......I might have a go at the trauma counselling !

We hadn't yet fully locked the door and it was on the day lock, it locks ok on the top and bottom catches and I'll get a plate tomorrow for a quid or so. I might investigate making a steel one myself instead of the brittle cast ones you buy.

All in all, an interesting experience.
My own opinion is that it was teenagers larking about, a house or two up the road had been snowballed about the same time. I guess one of them had a kick at the door and was so surprised when it burst open that he ran away.
There were no wet footprints on the Amtica ( name drop ) floor in the hall.

I can't imagine the car keys were a target...not an '06 automatic Note !

Funny old world

Ted
 Messages Author Date
 Burgled ! new Ted 1 Dec 10 23:31
 Burgled ! new RattleandSmoke 1 Dec 10 23:43
 Burgled ! new rtj70 1 Dec 10 23:45
 Burgled ! new rtj70 1 Dec 10 23:47
 Burgled ! new henry k 1 Dec 10 23:50
 Burgled ! new Ted 2 Dec 10 00:06
 Burgled ! new R.P. 2 Dec 10 08:47
 Burgled ! new Pat 2 Dec 10 08:51
 Burgled ! new Old Sock 2 Dec 10 11:42