Non-motoring > Cooking help please! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 22

Cooking help please! - Pat
Now you might have gathered that I don't really 'do' cooking, but I do enjoy food so I do enough to get by.
I made the fatal mistake of shopping online and fancying something I hadn't had for years and it's just been delivered.
I'm sitting here looking at a pack of smoked haddock with mustard & dill vinaigrette. It has the instructions on the packet, so far so good.

What do I cook with it?

I didn't think about that...

I have pasta
I can't peel potatoes
I have a jar of cheese and bacon pasta bake.
I have tinned potatoes
I have cheddar mash in the freezer
I have a jar of garlic & herb potato bake
I have a jar of creamy mushroom sauce.
I want to keep the haddock in fillets and not flake it into something else.
I can make cheesy garlic bread slices but will garlic go with smoked haddock?

Right Gentlemen, you did so well the other day on the recipe thread that this is your starter for ten....!

I'm going to do what I always do when faced with cooking, I'm off into the greenhouse for a couple of hours and when I come back in I expect my problem to be solved:)

Pat
 Cooking help please! - devonite
to keep it simples yet tasty, - boiled (in your case tinned!) potatoes, with lashings of butter an black pepper. garden peas (in your case tinned!)an maybe a few baby carrots as well (tinned again!)drizzeled with a bit more butter, and serve the Haddock on a small bed of crispy lettuce, drizzle the mustard an dill sauce over the top!

edit: followed by a heap "o" bread an butter pudding with ice dream on!!
Last edited by: devonite on Fri 15 Oct 10 at 13:45
 Cooking help please! - TheManWithNoName
Well I like smoked undyed haddock with a poached egg but since yours comes with some fancy sauce I don't think that'll work.

What about sticking it on a plate of rocket salad and add some pine nuts.
Quite often the flavour of fish is very subtle so you won't want anything accompanying it which will battle with the tast(all in my humble opinion, of course).
 Cooking help please! - WillDeBeest
How about a rice pilaf? Chop and soften an onion - probably not garlic to go with fish - then add the rice, cover with vegetable stock (I use Marigold powder to make up mine) and a lid and simmer for 20-40 minutes depending on the kind of rice you use. You can throw in cubes of carrot, broken-up french beans or whatever halfway through. Fluff it up with a fork and away you go.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Fri 15 Oct 10 at 14:12
 Cooking help please! - Crankcase

>> I can't peel potatoes

You need something like this Pat (Amazon link)

tinyurl.com/2ugqut4

Cooking help please! - Mapmaker
I haven't peeled potatoes in years. Boiled, roast, mashed, baked etc. etc., the skins go in. Delicious.

I'm not sure it needs cooking, does it? Trot it out onto a plate, and serve with lashings of crusty bread and some fresh green salad from the garden.
 Cooking help please! - Old Navy
Boiled (tinned) spuds, veg of choice, lashings of butter and black pepper. Fish on some green salady stuff with the warmed sauce over. Oh and a large glass of wine of your choice, no, two glasses, (each).
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 15 Oct 10 at 14:43
 Cooking help please! - Iffy
Smoked haddock is the heart of kedgeree:

www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/kedgeree

Except you don't appear to have any rice.

Haddock is OK with eggs, so it would probably work well enough with the pasta.

But as with the kedgeree, this would involve flaking the fish, which you don't want to do.

The smoked flavour is quite strong, and you already have mustard and dill, so you don't want any more strong flavours.

Which is a long-winded way of saying garlic is a no-no, as is the mushroom sauce.

Fish and cheese are not a good combination, which rules out most of what's left of your store cupboard.

I think it's down to the haddock and whatever plain vegetables you have.

The spuds can get sodden in the tin, so they would heat well and usefully dry out a little under the grill at the same time as the fish.

Cooking help please! - CGNorwich
As an expert on these things (have watched the last 6 episodes of Masterchef) I give my vote to ON,who is through to the quarter finals.
 Cooking help please! - Pat
Well there's some good ideas, I'm going to do this more often:)

I do have some rice iffy, but it's Uncle Ben's cook in the bag Pilau Rice.

We have some Birds Eye veg and rice too so I think ON wins with the tinned new potatoes ( or would potato 'crockets' as we call them, go better?)

I might pop a properly poached egg on top, I can do those.

I have a very limited repertoire, mostly various casseroles with loads of fresh veg in it but it's getting harder now to peel the swede and parsnips. Roasts are no problem but I've never cooked pasta and made up my mind I would try some but don't really know what to do it with, or with it.
The problem is, neither of us like dishes with all the ingredients mixed together and nothing else with it ( Tuna bake type of thing).

The potato peeler looks a handy bit of equipment, has anyone used one?
Thanks all says she as she don's her Masterchef hat:)
He'll think he's in the wrong house when he gets home tonight!

Pat

...I might pop a properly poached egg on top, I can do those...

The egg would sit on, and go better with the rice, rather than the potatoes.

Your Uncle Ben's is fine, but if you use the Bird's Eye rice and veg, check what the veg is.

An egg would be OK with rice with a few peas, but not so clever if the rice has carrot or cauliflower.
Last edited by: Iffy on Fri 15 Oct 10 at 16:27

>> The potato peeler looks a handy bit of equipment, has anyone used one?>>

Don't bother, just give your spuds a wash, chop and cook them. Peeling them is a waste of time and effort.
 Cooking help please! - R.P.
And a lot of the goodness (Vits etc) are in the skins...
>> As an expert on these things (have watched the last 6 episodes of Masterchef) I
>> give my vote to ON,who is through to the quarter finals.
>>

Thank you sir! Always remember that alcohol is a cooks best friend. Navy cooks had to up their game when the rum issue was abolished.
...that alcohol is a cooks best friend...

But be careful when using it with metal pans - it picks up a metallic taint and can transfer it to the food.

>> ...that alcohol is a cooks best friend...
>>
>> But be careful when using it with metal pans - it picks up a metallic
>> taint and can transfer it to the food.
>>
Cook with it? What a waste. Food is for cooking, booze is for drinking.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 15 Oct 10 at 19:27
 Cooking help please! - Bellboy
wife hates it when i cook because i love flames going up the sides of say a frying pan doing onions
i learnt cooking by mistakes
its the only way
the only time i use tinned potatoes is if we both come in very late,otherwise a potato cutter does it for me and the weird thing is the more you use it the better they are
 Cooking help please! - BiggerBadderDave
"wife hates it when i cook because i love flames going up the sides"

I'm barred from using the oven/grill because I like my sausages to have a thick skin of burnt black carbon. She bought me one of those plug-in Grill things where the fat collects in a little container at the front.
 Cooking help please! - Crankcase
>>She bought me one of those plug-in Grill things where
>> the fat collects in a little container at the front.

I'm astonished you didn't tell us that's where you dip your bread.

Cooking help please! - Mapmaker
>> I'm astonished you didn't tell us that's where you dip your bread.

Best bit (amongst many good bits) about baked pork chops is the fat on toast for breakfast.
 Cooking help please! - Zero
>> "wife hates it when i cook because i love flames going up the sides"

Women should be kept out of kitchens,

Flames, heat, blood, raw flesh, razor sharp knives.

Its a place for men only.
 Cooking help please! - AnotherJohnH
>> Flames, heat, blood, raw flesh, razor sharp knives.

a careful carnivore's kitchen is no better.
 Cooking help please! - madf
I cook wonderfully with alcohol - but inside me .
Latest Forum Posts