Non-motoring > Home Insurance Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 6

Home Insurance - Manatee
I'll go to the foot of our stairs.

It must be 20 years since HSBC nudged my premium up to £500 at which point I rebelled and got it for half the price elsewhere.

After we built the new house I got some cover through a broker that cost me £700. It was a bit bespoke because the house still didn't have a completion certificate.

When the renewal came around, even though is was by then signed off, the premium offer didn't really drop. So I went and compared, and got Esure for £225. Considering I had a c. £250,000 claim in 2019 I thought that was extremely good value.

Just got the renewal offer. £252. Unlimited rebuilding cost (I estimated £470k last year) £50k contents, accidental damage, new for old, alternative accommodation, door locks, legal, public liability, home emergency.

I keep looking at the policy wondering what I have missed. I know I looked at adding bike cover last year and thought it expensive. Also valuables away from home, which I stopped bothering with some time ago. We don't do serious jewellery and there's only camera kit when on holiday, which I can bear if I have to, if it isn't covered by travel insurance.

Is this all it costs these days? I also live in a flood village!

This is all very dull. But it's a change from grumbling about price rises.
 Home Insurance - CGNorwich
£210 for household, £540 for the car and £748 for annual worldwide travel insurance. I suppose that’s OK really. I wouldn’t insure me!
 Home Insurance - R.P.
Direct Line have reduced every year since our 2019 claim ( minor central heating oil leak) now less than 450£ but a very good cover. After selling my Rolex Submariner (for a healthy price) and taking it off as "specified item" it took a good chunk out of the premium.
 Home Insurance - bathtub tom
>>After selling my Rolex Submariner
>> (for a healthy price) and taking it off as "specified item" it took a good
>> chunk out of the premium.

But does it cover the extra for insuring the Transalp?
 Home Insurance - sherlock47
£50k contents, accidental damage, new for old,

Whilst you had a 'total?' Loss 5 years ago maybe you are correct in that value. But I would still be surprised if that cover was enough? You have to value everything as 'new'. Looking round my office/study I reckon that the new value would not be far off that! I retain and or collect all sorts of 2nd hand 'rubbish?' - How do you value 'collectables' that are no longer available?

Do the insurance reduce the amount payable if they assess you are under valued?
 Home Insurance - Bromptonaut
Mines due towards the end of April. More Than IIRC.

In the last few years, since I combined building and contents on the same policy, it's survived a quick comparison site check as too close to the market to be worth messing with.
 Home Insurance - Manatee
In theory they would if they thought you had £100k of contents value they could reduce any claim by 50%.

It's actually replacement value according to the loss adjuster I dealt with. That can mean new but need not necessarily.

Our last contents claim was 37k which was not contested.
Latest Forum Posts