Non-motoring > Queuing at cash machines Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Cliff Pope Replies: 34

Queuing at cash machines - Cliff Pope
Obviously everyone is very aware of the risks of one's details being observed by a bystander, so conversely those in the queue are in general careful to keep a decent distance so as not to unerve the person at the machine.

But I notice this causes problems sometimes, and curiously there appear to be two different "queuing protocols" developing:

1) The queue forms along the wall of the bank, with close spacing between most people but a double space just before the current user.

2) The first person waits across the pavement, next to the road, and the queue then forms behind that person, often obstructing the pavement.

In either case, but more so in the second, there is often confusion as to exactly where the queue is. I have several times recently noticed someone getting cross because they were mistakenly queuing behind someone who was not in the queue, just an uninvolved bystander who happened to get engulfed in the queue.
On another occasion I assumed that someone waiting, but at an abnormally large distance from the person at the till, was not waiting but turned out actually to be so.

Anyone any comments/advice on queue etiquette? Apart from going to another bank, of course, or using the usually vacant machine inside.
 Queuing at cash machines - R.P.
There was some work done on this, you may have noticed that in some places that a white box has been painted on the pavement below the ATM, the theory is that the user steps into the painted area to use the machine and that there is a sufficiently strong subliminal message to the next person in line to keep out of the box. Seems to work quite well where I've encountered it. Local Tesco stores have them including painted footprints outside the box to re-inforce.
 Queueing at cash machines - Old Navy
Our local Tesco has this, people tend to queue on the painted footprints. It always amuses me that often when there is a queue at "my" bank, machines the machine at the competitor opposite is unused. I use the machine with no queue, the only thing it won't do is give me a mini statement.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 6 Oct 10 at 10:42
 Queuing at cash machines - Suppose
>> Anyone any comments/advice on queue etiquette?
>>

Stand near but not obstruct other pedestrians, facing away from the person at the ATM to make it clear that you are not sneaking a look at their pin number. All the while, keep your card in the palm of your hand, taking care to hide your personal details on it. This works for me as it makes clear to others about to join the queue that you are waiting to use the ATM.
 Queuing at cash machines - bathtub tom
I hate queues and will find another machine.

It amazes me that even intelligent people will only use their own bank's machines and won't even consider using those inside - I hope I'm not giving anything away.

Pedantic note: PIN - Personal Identification Number, not PIN number! A bit like wing mirrors. ;>)
 Queuing at cash machines - Bellboy
i still always get the card in the wrong way whenever i use mine
cash is still king uup north................
>> Pedantic note: PIN - Personal Identification Number, not PIN number! A bit like wing mirrors.
>> ;>)
>>

"PIN number" is standard English.
You have the right to express yourself in any manner you please, but if you wish to communicate effectively, you should use standard English, rather than be pedantic because you don’t know any better. ;>)
Last edited by: Suppose on Wed 6 Oct 10 at 11:21
 Queuing at cash machines - Tooslow
"PIN number" is standard English." So is "like", a popular word beginnig with "F" and several others. They are all ignorant and bad mannered. Use them if you wish.

John
 Queuing at cash machines - Old Sock

>> "PIN number" is standard English.

Strange, then, that I've never seen any bank refer to it thus.

"Should of" could be considered 'standard English' by the great unwashed - but would you use it?
 Queuing at cash machines - SteelSpark
If you can, go into the bank. The number of times that I see a queue outside and yet there are two free machines inside!

Oh yeah, the other reason for using the machines inside, is that you would be amazed and disgusted at the number of people who spit on the screens, just for the sake of being a pfd.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 6 Oct 10 at 18:40
 Queuing at cash machines - madf
Some of us live in civilsation where people don't spit at machines..

Queuing at cash machines - SteelSpark
>> Some of us live in civilsation where people don't spit at machines..

You'd be surprised madf, you'll find mean spirited types everywhere. Some people just get off on the idea of others touching their spit...sad but true.
 Queuing at cash machines - L'escargot
>> If you can, go into the bank. The number of times that I see a
>> queue outside and yet there are two free machines inside!

I agree. If there aren't machines inside then there are cashiers/tellers. Why wait outside in a queue when you can wait inside the bank in comfort?
Last edited by: L'escargot on Wed 6 Oct 10 at 18:43
>> Strange, then, that I've never seen any bank refer to it thus.
>>

"My Card Reader is displaying: PIN LOCKED CALL ISSUER
Your PIN number has been locked for shop purchases and Internet Banking.
You don't need to call us - to unlock your PIN just visit any .... "

"Should I change my PIN number?
For security reasons we recommend that you change your PIN number to a number that's easy to remember, but not easy for others to guess. You can change your PIN at any UK high street bank cash machine displaying the MasterCard or Visa logo."

>> "Should of" could be considered 'standard English' by the great unwashed - but would you
>> use it?
>>

Yes, if it became standard use. It is not such a big ask, is it?
The words "loose", "your", "contraversial", "visability", "independant" are accepted on this forum in place of "lose", "you're", "controversial", "visibility", "independent" without the pedants correcting them. Soon those spellings will become standard.
We don't live in Shakespeare's England any more, and this is t'internet. Try hard as you may, pedantry has no future. The colorful world of your favorite Olde English is dead, like really absolutely dead, innit man?

Yours,
Shakespeare.

note: HSBC UK (hsbc.co.uk) already uses "dependent" in place of "dependant" throughout their website, knowingly and deliberately.

Last edited by: Suppose on Wed 6 Oct 10 at 18:39
You're not serious? Quoting corporate "English" as an example of proper usage? I recall a safety poster at work, allegedly an actual incident in one of our offices; "I visually saw smoke...". And that was on a poster, in offices around the country clearly visible to our customers.

You speak and write the way you wish. Be aware that people will make assumptions about you based, in part, on this. It may not be right to do this but it's the way people are.

As my mother used to say when I used the "ah but x has one / is doing it" etc in order to just the latest juvenile want or act; "and if he jumped off a cliff would you do that too?" In other words set your own standards. If someone else does something dumb, that's no reason or excuse for following suit.

John
>> As my mother used to say when I used the "ah but x has one
>> / is doing it" etc in order to just the latest juvenile want or act;
>> "and if he jumped off a cliff would you do that too?" In other words
>> set your own standards. If someone else does something dumb, that's no reason or excuse
>> for following suit.
>>
>> John
>>

Talking a load of carp as usual, are you?. You ask - Carp, what is that?
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=920&m=15128
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=1219&m=20938

Yours,
Dumb and Dumber
Blimey I'm being read. And remembered too! I'm honoured.

I haven't been insulting or personal Supp so why do you find it necessary? Weak arguement so attack the person instead of the arguement? :-)

John
>> Pedantic note: PIN - Personal Identification Number, not PIN number!

www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/pin.html
 Queuing at cash machines - Perky Penguin
My partner is not at all happy about using outdoor cash machines and doesn't understand that her card with work, without a fee, at any one of the 30+ cash machines in her town centre. With regard to the former she was "Shoulder surfed" and then had her purse stolen and £500 out of her account within 10 minutes. Telling her that this could have happened at any machine, even an indoor one, doesn't affect her views so I let her do it her way.
>> or
>> using the usually vacant machine inside.
>>

That implies that the bank is open. In that case, why not go to a cashier? I'd much rather deal with a human being than a machine.
 Queuing at cash machines - Ted

PIN number....nonono.
VIN number....ugh. I also notice how many people use ' loose ' instead of 'lose '
What do they write if they've lost something....loost ? Don't get me started on ' less ' and ' fewer ' !
I use the outside machine at the Post Office up the road if I'm at home. Never a queue and it's free. It's a new machine and has a highly visible, stainless steel, sloping ' ceiling '. You'd soon see a bit of tampering !
I can also get cash over the counter using the PIN keyboard there.

Ted
 Queuing at cash machines - FotheringtonTomas
>> ugh. I also notice how many people use ' loose ' instead of 'lose'

You could of got me going there, you looser.
Pedants who object to expressions such as "PIN number" are deliberately ignoring a key feature of the English language, namely the ability to create new words which can than be manipulated in exactly the same way as other existing words.

So P.I.N. started life as an abbreviation. But convenience and useage has converted it into a word in its own right, spelled PIN.

If you think it is still an abbreviation, how do you form its plural? PINs?
If you use the spelling PINs then you are ceasing to consider it as an abbreviation. The abbreviation of Personal Identification Numbers is PIN, so the plural is the same as the singular.

The same with VIN. What do you call a list of VIN numbers? A real pedant ought to refer to a "list of VIN".
>> Pedants who object to expressions such as "PIN number" are deliberately ignoring
>> a key feature of the English language, namely the ability to create new words

Hm. That's often said. "I'm wrong, so I'll claim it's all due to the evolution of language". It reminds me a bit of the way people justify their liking of "privacy glass".

Ooops 3.
 Queuing at cash machines - Old Navy
Don't you mean privacy glass glass, FT?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 7 Oct 10 at 16:22
:) Privacy glass, my (snip).
 Queuing at cash machines - Old Navy
>> :) Privacy glass, my (snip).
>>

I hope your (snip) has privacy of some sort, glass might be a bit uncomfortable though.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 7 Oct 10 at 16:57
 Queuing at cash machines - madf
>> :) Privacy glass, my (snip).
>>

No need to tell us all about your recent operation.
 Queuing at cash machines - crocks
>>Hm.

Are you sure you have spelt that right? :-)
 Queuing at cash machines - Runfer D'Hills
There's a cash machine inside the corner shop we use which is refilled by the nice old lady who works there. She sometimes gets me to hold the door of it open while she does so because she says I look big enough to defend her but kind enough not to rob her. Which is nice. Flattery works on me big style !
>> >> Pedants who object to expressions such as "PIN number" are deliberately ignoring
>> >> a key feature of the English language, namely the ability to create new words
>>
>> Hm. That's often said. "I'm wrong, so I'll claim it's all due to the evolution
>> of language".
>>

It's not evolution of language, the "create new word" menu has always been available in the English version. Foreign languages don't have it, which is why English has swept the world.
If you scroll down the menu you get the option to create a noun, adjective or verb. "There is no noun that cannot be verbed".

OK, let's compromise and call it PI number :)
>>
>> PIN number....nonono.
>> VIN number....ugh. I also notice how many people use ' loose ' instead of 'lose
>> '

Definately!
;-)
 Queuing at cash machines - Old Sock
Just as an 'aside', does anybody boycott cash machines which charge a fee? I notice that quite a few motorway service stations now only have this variety :-(
 Queuing at cash machines - Bellboy
i wouldnt but then i suppose if you are desperate dan and need a cow pie soonest you might sucuumb to the charge?
 Queuing at cash machines - Pat
I do Old Sock, I resent having to pay £1.85 to withdraw my money from my account.

Most forecourt shops have these LINK machines inside the shop but if you have a walk around the outside, you can very often find a normal cash machine that's free.

Pat
Latest Forum Posts