Non-motoring > Travel insurance Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 12

Travel insurance - legacylad
Back in 2010 I was affected by the Iceland ash cloud event, having to return from a ski trip by mini bus, coach, cross channel ferry, rail, to collect my car from Manchester airport.

My insurer, LV, paid out all my additional costs incurred....meals in France, on the ferry, overnight accommodation in Birmingham where my ski operator left me, and onward rail fare to Manc. Paid in full and promptly.

So I remained with LV. Recently my old mum, with Alzheimer’s, had a fall in the evening, and wasn’t found by myself and neighbours until the following morning. Blue light to hospital ( that’s another story) and my next trip cancelled...I should have flown to Spain today for a week.

Contacted LV yesterday morning to ask their advise re a claim. The main cost of the trip was accommodation...I’d paid a pal to use his luxury apartment, but the dates will be moved, so not out of pocket. Possible claim was for flights, car hire, airport parking. Insurance claim dept took all relevant details, amounts paid, wanted my bank details, and lo and behind money was in my bank at the close of business same day, less my excess. Gobsmacked. No online work to do, proof of bookings, no shows etc etc but was recommended I obtain ‘ no show’ paperwork in case of a future audit by the insurer.

I’ll be staying with LV when I need to renew.
 Travel insurance - smokie
Contrast that with our Saga claim following a burglary, when the main items which went were SWMBOs vast handbag and her car. Our front door was forced, while we were asleep, police attended and all done by the book.

She happened to have been paid a couple of hundred quid petty cash that day which she was owed which wasn't recovered. They actually spoke to two people at her work at quite some length to confirm it was legit claim. She had a "designer" Radley purse worth no more than about about £80, which I'd bought a juts months previously - I had to produce receipt confirming value (luckily she used to be obsessive about keeping receipts and it had rubbed off on me too). She was a keyholder for her office and the keys went, but they refused to consider the few hundred claim for changing the work locks (luckily work paid and didn't claim from her). Also a reasonably costly Radley umbrella and mirror which they refused to pay because of no receipt,

They replaced our front door lock with the cheapest nastiest Euro lock (which I replaced shortly afterwards) and out conditions on our renewal such that we wouldn't touch them with a barge pole - the main offensive one being that if entry was gained in future with the keys (e.g. her bag was stolen while out) we wouldn't be covered.

We reckoned we were about £300 - £400 out of pocket after the experience, in actual loss and ignoring the time taken to satisfy their incessant questioning. it was Axa we were dealing with but the policy was with Saga. We were almost regretting bothering to call it in by the eventual end of it.

The car was recovered next day (along with the villains) but kept for weeks by forensics. Car insurance (DL I think) paid for new locks even though the keys were recovered. None of the contents were missing, in fact there was more burgled stuff left in the car then when they took it (which we returned!!)
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 4 Jan 24 at 09:12
 Travel insurance - Bobby
That’s interesting LL. when you take our travel insurance do you tell them about your mum?

Reason being I know two brothers who were going on holiday. Day before they went their father dropped dead of heart attack. Turns out the dad had a pre existing heart condition.

Travel insurance refused to pay out as it was a pre existing condition and they should have declared it (Father wasnt travelling). After going to ombudsman etc they finally got their money back.

But any time I have taken out travel insurance I have never been asked whether I had any relatives that may die during or before my holiday? My dad is 92 so the inevitable will happen at some point!!!
 Travel insurance - Bromptonaut
My Mother was a creaking gate for at most of the last 10 years of her life. Nobody ever asked for details of her, or any other aged rellies, when we took out travel insurance.

Fact the Ombo found for the Claimants tells us all we need to know. How on earth did it get that far before somebody in the insurance co said 'hang on a minute'.
 Travel insurance - Duncan

>> Fact the Ombo found for the Claimants tells us all we need to know. How
>> on earth did it get that far before somebody in the insurance co said 'hang
>> on a minute'.
>>

Why should the Ins Co pay out? On someone else's death? Not the Insured's?

The Insured could still have gone on holiday, they didn't have to cancel.
>> Why should the Ins Co pay out? On someone else's death? Not the Insured's?

Your mixing two different things; this isn't Life Insurance. Travel insurance covers certain risks one of which is the death or serious illness of a close relative. If the number of such relatives and their health has the potential to defeat a claim then questions on the proposal need to cover that.

>> The Insured could still have gone on holiday, they didn't have to cancel.

Yeah, right, your kids go on holiday while you're cooling in the mortuary.
 Travel insurance - legacylad

>> Yeah, right, your kids go on holiday while you're cooling in the mortuary.
>>
Kids could be chillin while you’re cooking down the crem:-)
>> Kids could be chillin while you’re cooking down the crem:-)

Arf Arf as they used to say in sixties comics...

>> Your mixing two different things; this isn't Life Insurance. Travel insurance covers certain risks one
>> of which is the death or serious illness of a close relative. If the number
>> of such relatives and their health has the potential to defeat a claim then questions
>> on the proposal need to cover that.

If a close relative were to die - then it would be reasonable to cancel one's holiday. If that is reasonable, is it not also reasonable for the insurance company to know about any close relatives that are in imminent danger of dying?

Or is it my fault for being able to see both sides of the argument?
>> If a close relative were to die - then it would be reasonable to cancel
>> one's holiday. If that is reasonable, is it not also reasonable for the insurance company
>> to know about any close relatives that are in imminent danger of dying?

There is, I guess, a spectrum.

If, hypothetically, you took out cover immediately before travelling then I might expect the insurer to ask whether there is any close relative whose death might be imminent. An insurer would, I suspect, have a definition of imminent eg on end of life care in a hospice. Cover may be refused for that life.

On the other hand a Health Professional might have provided form SR1 (formerly DS1500) to confirm to the DWP that somebody's condition is terminal and that they have a prognosis of less than 12 months. However, with proper palliative treatment they can soldier on living a reasonably normal life. You might still have to answer yes to a question about diagnoses but death is not imminent and you might get cover for a couple of weeks holiday.

Or one could have a history of heart disease which is apparently under control. The one morning you wake up dead as it were......

I suspect Bobby's case was in the latter category.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 5 Jan 24 at 08:29
Presumably, there would be (there is?) an agreed list of those relatives whose death would justify cancelling one's holiday. Parents, siblings, children - but not a fifth cousin twice removed?
>> Presumably, there would be (there is?) an agreed list of those relatives whose death would
>> justify cancelling one's holiday. Parents, siblings, children - but not a fifth cousin twice removed?

Yes. A quick Google shows that 'close relative' is a defined group eg:

Within the terms of the policy we define a close relative as, your mother, father, sister, brother, wife, husband, civil partner, daughter, son, grandparent, grandchild, parent-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, sister-in-law, brother-in-law, step parent, step child, step sister, step brother, foster child, legal guardian, domestic partner or fiancé/fiancée.
 Travel insurance - Terry
If the insurance company does not ask the question re close family health then generally I assume that the policy should remain valid in the event of a death.

However there is a doctrine of utmost good faith in insurance which obliges all parties to act honestly, not mislead or withhold critical information.

If it becomes apparent that the policy was taken out only when it became apparent the failing relative was terminal I suspect the insurance company may have some justification for refusing the claim.
Latest Forum Posts