Non-motoring > Another One Bites the Dust - Volume 3
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 65

Another One Bites the Dust - Volume 3 - VxFan

Discussion continues

Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 15 Jun 23 at 11:03
 Dorries has Jumped. - Bromptonaut
Nadine D has stood down immediately as MP for her seat in Bedfordshire.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65860564

Fit of pique over not getting into the Lords??
 Dorries has Jumped. - Duncan
>> Nadine D has stood down immediately as MP for her seat in Bedfordshire.
>> Fit of pique over not getting into the Lords??

Could well be.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65861936
 Dorries has Jumped. - smokie
Most likely, but it crossed my mind that Boris's WhatsApps might embarrass her. Unlikely though.
 Dorries has Jumped. - Zero

Dear Lord, having seen BoJo the clowns honours list, I am utterly utterly disgusted,,
 Dorries has Jumped. - tyrednemotional
....not on it then, Z....?
>> ....not on it then, Z....?

Pity, I can see me at the urinals in the Lords wen JRM walks in

Turns to face him, "Oh Hello Jay-cob". Whoopps Sorry about your shoes.....
 Dorries has Jumped. - Bromptonaut
>> Dear Lord, having seen BoJo the clowns honours list, I am utterly utterly disgusted,,

Another example of the Johnson premiership giving an impetus to change that we were too complacent to see the need for?
Surprised that Ben Houchen becomes a peer. From what I've read he should be the subject of a police investigation not appearing on an honours list!!
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 9 Jun 23 at 18:32
...and now the big one ..
There is a post on here some time ago where I explicitly stated Bojo would screw up the country, leave parliament and then sodd off to the states do earn big bucks on the pubic speaking tour.
>> ..... on the pubic speaking tour.
>>

...he usually speaks from somewhere further back...
And another... "Nigel Adams, MP for Selby and Ainsty, has stood down but did not say why. "

www.bbc.co.uk/news/65866187

I was going to say I hadn't heard of him but there are so many I haven't heard of since Boris's clear-out....
>> Nadine D has stood down immediately as MP for her seat in Bedfordshire.
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65860564
>>

Well apparently she hasn't yet resigned, and hasn't said when she will. Its a real case of throwing her toys out the pram, but leaving them attached on a long string.
 Dorries has Jumped. - Robin O'Reliant
Boris may be a wrong un, but look at the bright side.

The Yanks have Trump.
 Dorries has Jumped. - Bobby
twitter.com/nadinedorries/status/1669060242552811520?s=46&t=3x9zm3grA2b_uGbxWYtpIA
 Dorries has Jumped. - Lygonos
>>twitter.com/nadinedorries/status/1669060242552811520?s=46&t=3x9zm3grA2b_uGbxWYtpIA

An utterly self-serving piece of crap?

Who'da thunk it?
 Dorries has Jumped. - sooty123
news.sky.com/story/nadine-dorries-told-to-stand-down-by-robert-jenrick-as-shes-accused-of-taking-voters-for-a-ride-12936511

She's still loitering around. Her local council have said she should go, now her own party are telling her to go.
 Boom! Headshot! - Lygonos
www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-65876914

90 days.

Good - hopefully enough to demolish him coming back and the start of de-normalising being an overt lying scumbag as a trait of leadership.

Obviously covertly it will continue as it always has!
Last edited by: Lygonos on Thu 15 Jun 23 at 09:44
 Boom! Headshot! - Zero
All it needed was an admission of a breech of the rules, say it was a lapse, and apology to the house, and he would still have been where he was.

The blatant lies, bluster, contempt shown to others and a belief he should be allowed to get away with anything has ballooned into this. What a dick
 Boom! Headshot! - Boxsterboy
As if the tories weren’t already going to get totally stiffed at the next election, these developments will make things so much worse for them!

The conservative party as was has been totally transformed, reflected in rags like the torygraph
 Boom! Headshot! - Duncan
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-65876914

I really don't get the "apology" culture.

Mind you, I don't get the "vigil" culture either.

Then, I don't get so much of what goes on nowadays. Before the war, Rodney.
 Boom! Headshot! - smokie
I see BoJo has nabbed a job as a columnist for the DM. Not cleared by ACOBA but apparently they are less interested in journo jobs. Wasn't he on £800k+ at the DT before he became PM? I wonder what the DM has paid him.

EDIT: Oops I think it was Gideon on £800k as editor at the Standard, Boris was only on £275k at the DT.
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 16 Jun 23 at 14:30
 Another One Bites the Dust - Volume 3 - R.P.
www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jun/17/david-warburton-conservative-mp-suspended-over-drugs-allegations-to-resign-seat

And another.
 Another One Bites the Dust - Volume 3 - sooty123
news.sky.com/story/defence-secretary-ben-wallace-to-stand-down-at-next-election-12921562

Ben Wallace to leave the cabinet at the next reshuffle and then not contest any seat at the next GE. I think he was the longest serving Conservative Defence Secretary.
 Another One Bites the Dust - Volume 3 - smokie
His seat was disappearing too so I guess just felt he'd had enough. He had hopes of general sec of NATO or similar IIRC, which have been dashed.
 Another One Bites the Dust - Volume 3 - Zero
Nadine Dorris - She really is a nasty unprincipled self centred piece of work. Throws her toys out the pram because she had her honours taken away, refuses to full-fill her role both in parliament and locally. She needs to be tarred & feathered and dumped in the local pond like the witch she is.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 9 Aug 23 at 11:57
 Another One Bites the Dust - Volume 3 - Terry
You are just far too tolerant!
 Another One Bites the Dust - Volume 3 - legacylad
Zeddo has become a snowflake.,
Send her down to Manatees way, they know how to deal with witches down there.
 Another One Bites the Dust - Volume 3 - Manatee
>> Send her down to Manatees way, they know how to deal with witches down there.

Fancy you knowing that Zeddo!
>> >> Send her down to Manatees way, they know how to deal with witches down
>> there.
>>
>> Fancy you knowing that Zeddo!

The dog training group there is known as the coven
>> She needs to be tarred & feathered and dumped in the local pond like the witch she is.

The last doing-in by dunking of an alleged witch in England took place a short stroll from here in 1751. The ringleader was executed and hung in chains nearby.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Osborne_(alleged_witch)
 Another One Bites the Dust - Volume 3 - zippy
>>The ringleader was executed and hung in chains nearby.

Good.

Witch-hunting - a excuse for murder.

>> Good.
>>
>> Witch-hunting - a excuse for murder.

Get a grip zipster, it was 280 odd years ago, not that it would have mattered to you, in the intervening years you'd have been in a penal colony in Tasmania, Port Arthur probably.
Dorries has finally gone.

www.itv.com/news/2023-08-26/nadine-dorries-resigns-as-tory-mp-with-scathing-attack-on-rishi-sunak

No date for a by election so soon, however not sure if the area has voted for anyone other than Con regularly? I think she has a pretty big majority, mind so did other areas.

This must be a pretty high number of by elections for any gov to have contested in such a short space of time.
 Another One Bites the Dust - Volume 3 - Bromptonaut
In normal times her 20k+ majority would be unassailable.

But we're not in normal times.
I quick nosey on wiki says the last non Con MP to win there was in 1929. I think it's safe to call it a safe seat, however like you say it's not normal times. I think 2 of the other by elections overturned 20k majority though.
>> I quick nosey on wiki says the last non Con MP to win there was
>> in 1929. I think it's safe to call it a safe seat, however like you
>> say it's not normal times. I think 2 of the other by elections overturned 20k
>> majority though.

Losing a majority north of 10k at a GE is probably exceptional but picking a couple of 97 losers, both Michael Portillo and Tony Newton were 15k plus in 1992.
 Another One Bites the Dust - Volume 3 - bathtub tom
She was unpopular before this hiatus. Lib/dems have been doing a lot of door knocking recently. I'll await the result with interest!
 Another One Bites the Dust - Volume 3 - Lygonos
An odious turd.

She would have been perfect as a Director of Nursing in most NHS trusts.
 Another One Bites the Dust - Volume 3 - CGNorwich
She does write a good letter though.

"Since you took office a year ago, the country is run by a zombie Parliament where nothing meaningful has happened. What exactly has been done or have you achieved? You hold the office of Prime Minister unelected, without a single vote, not even from your own MPs. You have no mandate from the people and the Government is adrift. You have squandered the goodwill of the nation, for what?"

She's not wrong is she?
 Another One Bites the Dust - Volume 3 - smokie
So what was she expecting to be done? I was always taught to present the positives alongside the negatives. Unless I was just being a moaning minnie.
I'm not sure she's the best person to judge what's happening in Parliament, she's probably forgotten where it is.
news.sky.com/story/tory-mp-chris-pincher-resigns-after-suspension-from-commons-over-groping-allegations-12956582

And another by election. Must be a record number.
>> And another by election. Must be a record number.

Done a Boris and jumped before he was pushed.
 Another One Bites the Dust - Volume 3 - Terry
There have been 16 by elections between 2019 and 2023 - this may exclude a few more recent ones so assume (say) 20.

By comparison there have been many periods with a greater number

1945-1950 50
1951-1955 44
1955-1958 49
1959-1964 61

Rather than listing all of them - since the war, there have been 21 separate administrations due to general elections. In only 12 of those were there less than 20 by elections.

By comparison Rishi could be renamed "Lucki Rishi"!

researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-7529/CBP-7529.pdf#page=45

>> There have been 16 by elections between 2019 and 2023 - this may exclude a
>> few more recent ones so assume (say) 20.
>>
>> By comparison there have been many periods with a greater number
>>
>> 1945-1950 50
>> 1951-1955 44
>> 1955-1958 49
>> 1959-1964 61

I wonder how far those numbers after the war and up to 64 compared to now reflect the change of age/background among MPs. How many were caused by the death of the sitting member?

Anecdotally (at least) a large proportion of Tories in those days were so called 'Knights of the Shires' while Labour's cohort were older men who had come up through the Trades Unions.

Those in the current parliament have been largely people who have been suspended and recalled or have resigned before they were pushed. Chesham and Amersham was the death of Cheryl Gillan and Southend West of course the assassination of the sitting member. A couple of others resigned after taking other office - Batley and Spen for example.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 6 Jan 24 at 11:34
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67905092

Another one in the near future?
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67905092
>>
>> Another one in the near future?

Another to watch but it looks more like a cockup than a conspiracy. I'll be surprised if there are not others in a similar position irrespective of party.
 Another One Bites the Dust - Volume 3 - Kevin
Liam Byrne campaign for Mayor of West Midlands.
>> Liam Byrne campaign for Mayor of West Midlands.

Can save me hours of Googling to understand that reference?

Unless of course it's yet another reference to that 'no money left' message.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 7 Jan 24 at 13:44
Maybe it wasn't reported by The G but here's Wiki:

"In May 2023, Byrne was found to have misused public expenses. Byrne denied wrongdoing, but the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA) found there was “overwhelming evidence” that a member of Byrne's staff had worked on his failed mayoral election campaign during office hours, conservatively estimating that at least around 1,000 hours of public-funded time had been spent on the campaign. MPs may not use taxpayer-funded allowances for political campaigns; Byrne was not asked to repay the funds because the total hours worked by the staff member could not be established with some evidence in the report suggesting the hours could be in the thousands. Byrne stated subsequently he accepted the findings but refused to apologise."
>> Maybe it wasn't reported by The G but here's Wiki:

I'm sure it was but I cant remember the whyfores etc. Thanks for putting me on the right track.

IPSA, which was set up in the aftermath of the expenses scandal, has probably now become part of the landscape but initially it was VERY unpopular with MP's.

It's first CEO was the late Andrew Macdonald, probably the best and most professionally skilful Civil Servant I ever met.
 Another One Bites the Dust - Volume 3 - Bobby
Talking of civil servants, I see Simon Case is returning to work.
 Another One Bites the Dust - Volume 3 - CGNorwich
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67895246

Chris Skidmore quits over new oil and gas licences. Another by election soon. Poor old Rishi. It never rains but it pours (literally now).
Looks like he's going to lose his majority by-election by by-election.
 Another One Bites the Dust - Volume 3 - Duncan
I really don't know why you are so surprised. This is par for the course - a party in for 13 or 14 years, then another party in. It's the way you have done it for years, you vote a party in for a spell, they blot their copybook, you get tired of them and vote the other side in.

You are the only people that voted them in, don't look to blame someone else.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prime_ministers_of_the_United_Kingdom
>> I really don't know why you are so surprised.

Who mentioned anything about being surprised?
 Another One Bites the Dust - Volume 3 - Duncan
I did. I can read between the lines.
Ah well you know what they say about assuming.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Fri 5 Jan 24 at 22:16
 Another One Bites the Dust - Volume 3 - legacylad
Darth Vader & taxis ?
>Chris Skidmore quits over new oil and gas licences..

Skidmore is paid £80k a year for 160hrs work advising a company that touts for business in "industrial decarbonisation and clean technology". Maybe he's going full time and couldn't resist the publicity?
Skidmore is paid £80k a year for 160hrs work advising a company that touts for
>> business in "industrial decarbonisation and clean technology". Maybe he's going full time and couldn't resist
>> the publicity?
>>

I'm not sure the issuing of new licences makes much odds either way to the UK, there's so little left in the N Sea. I watched a piece on Sky news, I think by 2030 without the licences we'd import 95% of gas and oil, with them it was 93%.

The new licences are for very small amounts of oil & gas.
>>The new licences are for very small amounts of oil & gas.

That's interesting. So perhaps the main problem here is the message it sends about UK's commitment to decarbonisation?

And the claim that it would ensure UK's energy security is utter tripe, even if the production wasn't just going to end up on the commodity market.
That's interesting. So perhaps the main problem here is the message it sends about UK's
>> commitment to decarbonisation?
>>
>> And the claim that it would ensure UK's energy security is utter tripe, even if
>> the production wasn't just going to end up on the commodity market.

From my understanding it makes no real difference if the licences are granted or not, there's not much left.
Latest Forum Posts