Non-motoring > Coffee Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 18

Coffee - CGNorwich
Am in Croatia at the moment. We are in our second apartment and despite being otherwise well equipped no means of making coffee. Can’t live without coffee in the morning. I tried just putting ground coffee in a mug, adding boiled water and leaving for a few minutes.

The coffee is surprisingly good. Just leave the last inch or so.

All those percolators, drip machines, cafetières, coffee pods appear to be unnecessary!

Coffee - Manatee
What you've done is no different to using a cafferty-airy, minus the means of sieving out the grounds. Used to be known as the jug method and we did nothing else for years. Then we got a filter machine.

Put ground coffee in jug. Stir well (the grounds will float). After a couple of minutes, another stir will sink the grounds. Allow to settle, then decant into cup(s).
 Coffee - Bromptonaut
>> Put ground coffee in jug. Stir well (the grounds will float). After a couple of
>> minutes, another stir will sink the grounds. Allow to settle, then decant into cup(s).

My paternal grandmother made it that way for years.

Lyons Original Blend grounds.
 Coffee - CGNorwich
Yes it’s obvious really but for some reason just never occurred to me.
 Coffee - Zero

>> All those percolators, drip machines, cafetières, coffee pods appear to be unnecessary!

Yeah,good for every day coffee, the only thing is you dont get the crema.
 Coffee - CGNorwich
And yet

www.foodandwine.com/coffee/coffee-experts-scrape-off-crema
 Coffee - Manatee
One coffee drinker's crema is another one's scum!

Our bean to cup machine produces "crema" but I suspect it's cosmetic rather than being produced by the brewing. Fortunately I'm not sophisticated enough to tell the difference.
 Coffee - CGNorwich
>> One coffee drinker's crema is another one's scum!

Just like politics then :-)
 Coffee - Bobby
Recently bought a beans to cup machine from Facebook marketplace.
This one www.delonghi.com/en-int/products/coffee/coffee-makers/bean-to-cup/ecam-23460s-0132215182
Got it for £100 and really enjoying its simplicity and lovely taste of the real coffee instead of the Nescafé instant I used to drink.
 Coffee - BiggerBadderDave
A lot of Poles take percolated coffee, shovel a couple of teaspoons of the stuff into a cup and add water. Mother-in-law drinks it like that. Must be an Eastern European thing.

It's truly awful. When you're in polite company and you're not expecting it and you end up with a mouthful of bits and you don't want to swallow it or spit it back in the cup.

Coffee - Manatee
>>Recently bought a beans to cup machine

Ours is very similar. But we rarely use the milk carafe. I put 'vapo' in mine or drink it black, she adds cold skimmed milk. Quantity is set to about 200ml for a mugful.

www.delonghi.com/en-int/products/coffee/coffee-makers/bean-to-cup/magnifica-s-ecam-22360b-0132215149
 Coffee - Zero
>> >> One coffee drinker's crema is another one's scum!
>>
>>
>> Just like politics then :-)

Alas we are mostly offered variations of scum.
 Coffee - CGNorwich
Not all scum.We often get the dregs.
 Coffee - Zero
>> Not all scum.We often get the dregs.

Well I am not sure, we recently tried scraping off the scum, but we ended up with something bitter.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 14 Sep 22 at 08:35
 Coffee - CGNorwich
I guess there’s grounds for believing that.
 Coffee - Zero
Well lets be honest, the roast of them are not much better
 Coffee - CGNorwich
A load of has-beans mostly
 Coffee - BiggerBadderDave
I'm a human bean.
 Coffee - CGNorwich
>> I'm a human bean.
>>
Ground down and in hot water.
Latest Forum Posts