Non-motoring > Insurance Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: tyrednemotional Replies: 13

Insurance - tyrednemotional
I've just had my house and contents insurance renewal through.

There was an increase in premium of 29%, a not inconsiderable sum, and significantly more of an increase than in previous years with this insurer.

With a bit of notice to renewal date, it was touch and go whether I shopped around again, but there were a few minor amendments to make, and the policy has some nice-to-haves for me (e.g. the level and conditions of cover for our multiple e-bikes).

Accordingly, I gave them a bell, and (after a significant wait in a queue) I expressed my surprise at the level of increase, and explained I had a couple of amendments to make (one of which would reduce the premium by a penny or two, the other should be neutral).

"Do you understand the recent ruling on offering the same price to new and existing customers?" was the response. "Yes" I said, and remained quiet (almost always a good negotiating ploy).

"Well we do have some new policies I could look at for you.........................................and we do have some discounts for existing customers!"

So...amendments made, discount applied, and my renewal was now less than 5% more than last year (and a slightly lower increase than the previous renewal).

I'll just look at the new policies with similar conditions, he said - "Oh, higher than your original premium quote!".

Renewed the existing policy at a significant discount from the original renewal quote.

What a circus! (but if you don't ask, you don't get).
 Insurance - Manatee
Robbing devils. So much for financial regulation. Clearly the intention behind it was that existing customers got as good a deal as new ones.

What they mean is they introduce new, cheaper products for new customers but try to roll you over on the old one (which is not offered to new customers). So new customers still get a better deal than existing ones. All that's changed is that they have to give you the new customer deal if you find out it exists, or you threaten to leave and they tell you about it.

Can't say I'm surprised.

My insurance on my MX-5 has just renewed. £174.49. A pleasant surprise. Fully comp, legal cover, and protected NCD.
 Insurance - Kevin
>..There was an increase in premium of 29%..

Maybe they'd seen you riding an e-bike?
 Insurance - Falkirk Bairn
In 1988 my Building Society tried to renew my annual cover at £155 for a year's Buildings only cover.

At that time the right to cover the building with a 3rd Party insurer came about. Same Insurer as the BS used and £70. Apparently the BS got a commission / discount of 60% on what they charged the customer!

Move on 34 years my building insurance premium is £203 and cover up to £1m (re-building cost of my house is nothing near that).

Cannot complain - the £70 in 1988 is equivalent to roughly £300 today!

>> Maybe they'd seen you riding an e-bike?
>>

...more likely been watching SWMBO.

Having recovered rapidly from the hip replacement, she set out alone on her bike yesterday (not the first foray). Came back after stopping abruptly and toppling sideways with a hurt arm.

I wasn't happy with the swelling this morning, so insisted on the local minor-injuries clinic. Fractured radius and pot and sling fitted. Ortho appointment Friday.

Dangerous things those e-bikes.

(I don't remember breaking two mirrors!).
 Insurance - Runfer D'Hills
Oh heck!
Not good. I fell off my bike in a forest again on Saturday morning. Fortunately on my “good” side. No damage done, low speed soft landing, but there but for somethingorother eh?

My own fault, trying to do stuff my dodgy hand and arm are not ready for yet.

But, “too old to die young” and so on I suppose. ;-)

Guess you’ll be back on cooking/cleaning/everything blinkin’ else duty again then T&E?
>>
>> Guess you’ll be back on cooking/cleaning/everything blinkin’ else duty again then T&E?
>>

...yeah, but now I'm experienced so can charge higher rates....

She's getting rather "high maintenance". I'm waiting for a valuation back from webuyanywife.com, but I suspect there won't be too much demand for her model year.

And.... neighbour across the road has been (very) unwell for a few weeks, and is in hospital with his wife visiting daily. We're "in loco parentis" for their two dogs (feed and walk). One is an oldish retriever, docile and would walk with anyone. The other is a largely untrained 8-month old border collie, with boundless exuberance. Walking him is an "experience".

I are knackered. ;-)
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Wed 31 Aug 22 at 17:17
 Insurance - Zero

>> (feed and walk). One is an oldish retriever, docile and would walk with anyone. The
>> other is a largely untrained 8-month old border collie, with boundless exuberance. Walking him is
>> an "experience".
>>
>> I are knackered. ;-)

Seemples. You get an old sheepskin, chuck it over the old retriever, and the BC herds it where you want to go.
.. getting done for sheep rustling would really make my week....
 Insurance - Zero
>> .. getting done for sheep rustling would really make my week....
>
Sorry got you mixed up with Mark - thought you had intimate sheep experience
 Insurance - MD
Hilarious :-)
 Insurance - bathtub tom
Just notified my motor insurers of my change of address. £25 to press a few keys plus £2.86 increase in premium for moving a mile down the road!
 Insurance - zippy
>> Just notified my motor insurers of my change of address. £25 to press a few
>> keys plus £2.86 increase in premium for moving a mile down the road!
>>

Rob a bank, get years in clink, rob the public, get a knighthood.
 Insurance - Ted
I will ne ringing my insurers to change the registration number to it's new one. What a palaver, retaining a number. I got a letter from the DVLA telling me to ring a firm in Knutsford who may wish to inspect the car.

They duly made an appointment, about a week ahead, and rang me the evening before to give me a rough time...good idea. The guy arrived on time, he was 68 and knew what he was doing. First of all, he knocked on the front window and went round the back. He said he went in many garages and never knew what he may have on his shoes so he wouldn't come in....thoughtful. Inspection involved looking thoroughly over the car, including engine and writing numbers down. Then, the car was photographed all over for his report. When I last did this, a young lady did it, she wouldn't jump onto the transporter as she had a summer frock on and got me to read the VIN out. That was all ! Cost me £5 then...£80 now.

Our man used to live a couple of miles from me and was in the motor trade. We knew quite a lot of other trade members from 40 yrs ago so we established some rapport. The new plates come tomorrow and then I can think about selling her.

I wonder what the insurers will charge. Can't be much surely...comprehensive cover is a few pence over £2 a week !

Ted
Latest Forum Posts