Non-motoring > Insurance Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: tyrednemotional Replies: 13

Insurance - tyrednemotional
I've just had my house and contents insurance renewal through.

There was an increase in premium of 29%, a not inconsiderable sum, and significantly more of an increase than in previous years with this insurer.

With a bit of notice to renewal date, it was touch and go whether I shopped around again, but there were a few minor amendments to make, and the policy has some nice-to-haves for me (e.g. the level and conditions of cover for our multiple e-bikes).

Accordingly, I gave them a bell, and (after a significant wait in a queue) I expressed my surprise at the level of increase, and explained I had a couple of amendments to make (one of which would reduce the premium by a penny or two, the other should be neutral).

"Do you understand the recent ruling on offering the same price to new and existing customers?" was the response. "Yes" I said, and remained quiet (almost always a good negotiating ploy).

"Well we do have some new policies I could look at for you.........................................and we do have some discounts for existing customers!"

So...amendments made, discount applied, and my renewal was now less than 5% more than last year (and a slightly lower increase than the previous renewal).

I'll just look at the new policies with similar conditions, he said - "Oh, higher than your original premium quote!".

Renewed the existing policy at a significant discount from the original renewal quote.

What a circus! (but if you don't ask, you don't get).
 Messages Author Date
 Insurance new tyrednemotional 30 Aug 22 14:55
 Insurance new Manatee 30 Aug 22 17:05
 Insurance new Kevin 30 Aug 22 18:04
 Insurance new Falkirk Bairn 31 Aug 22 08:35
 Insurance new tyrednemotional 31 Aug 22 16:16
 Insurance new Runfer D'Hills 31 Aug 22 17:03
 Insurance new tyrednemotional 31 Aug 22 17:14
 Insurance new Zero 31 Aug 22 20:01
 Insurance new tyrednemotional 31 Aug 22 20:30
 Insurance new Zero 1 Sep 22 17:42
 Insurance new MD 1 Sep 22 11:29