Non-motoring > John Lewis are a shower! Legal Questions
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 22

John Lewis are a shower! - zippy
I can't find the original thread but I did comment that my lad purchased a not inexpensive lap top from them in March 2022. It had a 3 year warranty which is not worth the paper that it is written on.

The cable frayed between the charger and the laptop and John Lewis have been useless in getting it resolved. We replaced the cable but the laptop still didn't charge.

I got a qualified electronics engineer to look at the charger (he has designed stuff that goes on Fighter Jets) currently makes high tech laser equipment.

He confirms the charger failed due to a tiny dry solder joint preventing the charger from working correctly and an internal component seems to have failed.

The lad sent the report to JL and they want nothing to do with it, claiming that it's down to the manufacturer. The manufacturer doesn't want to know as we are not a customer of theirs!

JL are insistent that their T&Cs confirm the above requirement but I cannot see it mentioned and anyway, think it would be against consumer rights legislation.

Further, there are none of these specific chargers available. The manufacturer has none and their authorised suppliers have none.

I think I am going to suggest the lad does a s75 claim on his credit card!

I used to recommend JL but never again. They don't seem to recognise their responsibilities.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 1 Jul 22 at 20:26
 JOHN LEWIS ARE A SHOWER! - bathtub tom
Where's brompt when you need him? I think you'll find your lad's got good recourse under the consumer rights act (or whatever it's called now). Goods should be of reasonable quality and last a reasonable time.

Found it: www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=consumer+rights+act

Quote that and I suspect they'll buckle. His contract's with JLP, not the manufacturer
 JOHN LEWIS ARE A SHOWER! - zippy
Cheers for that BT.

He has told them his contract is with them and they cannot use T&Cs to negate their responsibilities.

I heard him call them and the counterpart on the phone pretended they were in England but I suspect, from the reasonable, but not perfect English, they were in a call centre in the Far East? A subtle, did you enjoy the Jubilee was met with "when was that?"
 JOHN LEWIS ARE A SHOWER! - tyrednemotional
JL offshored their/a call centre 3 or 4 years ago, to the Philippines I think. Not sure if that's the current location.

One of the reasons I prefer to transact such business by email rather than phone is to make sure I have a complete audit trail as evidence.

Having visited offshore call centres, they'd often try to keep in touch with some of the basic social chit chat; one in Delhi even played up to date soap episodes to those who wanted to appear "clued up".

I recently posted elsewhere about receiving a part-refund from JL for a product "not as described". Despite promising to amend the online description, they haven't.
 JOHN LEWIS ARE A SHOWER! - sooty123
He's got far more patience than I would have had, I'd have done the charge back on the CC ages ago.
 John Lewis are a shower! - Duncan
>> I can't find the original thread

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=29949&m=647624
Arrrgh!

Even the bank have it wrong.

He wants to do a S75 claim. They said charge back. These are two different things.

They also insist on a report from an industry expert that the product is faulty - well we have one but that's not actually a requirement - the requirement for s75 is that you are in the same position as you are with the original retailer and per consumer regulations it's for them to prove you are wrong not the other way around for the first six months.

John Lewis are a shower! - Stuartli
>>He wants to do a S75 claim. They said charge back. These are two different things. >>

Chargeback normally applies to a debit card payment and is a voluntary agreement on part of the banks - Section 75 is covered by law.

But circumstances can change depending on certain aspects of purchases.....

Always found both Visa and Mastercard very helpful on the few occasions I've had to use Section 75.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Fri 1 Jul 22 at 22:24
After several hours on the phone to them and still an outright refusal to collect the laptop I am going to take it back to my nearest John Lewis Store which is about 60 miles away.

Does anyone know if there are any cases where I can claim mileage and time from them because they are being so unhelpful they deserve to pay.
 John Lewis are a shower! - John Boy
I've got a spare charger (someone's laptop died when he was here). Is the one in question really unusual?
 John Lewis are a shower! - CGNorwich
Just buy a universal lap top charger.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 4 Jul 22 at 17:53
My experience of universal chargers isn't good. No matter what is spent, they are never as reliable as an OEM part.

The laptop and charger were purchased this March and has a 3 year JL warranty which is clearly not worth the paper that it is written on.

If I buy an third party charger then if it fails just outside warranty, I will have to buy another. JL will not warrant a replacement that I purchase.

There really shouldn't be such an issue getting the charger replaced, though the absence of the same model anywhere on line (except from decidedly dodgy websites) suggests that there is likely to be some supply difficulties.
 John Lewis are a shower! - CGNorwich

>> There really shouldn't be such an issue getting the charger replaced

>> But there clearly is.

So the purchase of a comparatively cheap universal charger would at least resolve the immediate problem I.e. your son would have a working lap top and if JLP can be persuaded to change their mind you have a spare.
 John Lewis are a shower! - R.P.
My Macbook screen failed. Still under its JL two year guarantee. To be fair it went like this. Phoned them, described the problem. Next day a courier arrives and packs the laptop in my presence and in three working days to say that the screen was physically broken and the guarantee didn't cover it. Laptop was shipped back a few days later. I took it to an Apple approved repairer - they confirmed what JL said.

This is the second "claim" made to JL in a year (stove damaged in transit). I had to threaten them in writng with Small Claims Process over the stove ( effectively not their fault, but my contract was with them not with the makers of the stove. I rejected it and asked them to collect, in fairness again they went along with this and made a fix.

Consider this:

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/our-work/citizens-advice-consumer-work/the-consumer-rights-act-2015/

There are template letters within. Start the process.
 John Lewis are a shower! - Bromptonaut
Our other CA man beat me too it!!

Not JL but we had a problem with the caravan where the shower tray cracked after 15 months. Dealer took manufacturer's line that plastic parts were only warranted for the first year.

Investigation showed the problem was far from unique; circular cracks around the shower's drain were quite common. Post 2014 models were redesigned so as to put the drain in a much less stressed location.

A letter in similar terns to Pugly's CA template got results - a replacement tray to the post 2014 design fitted FoC.

As per my contribution to the original thread a charger that fails in the first year is not fit. If they allege abuse they'll need to prove it. Given Zippy's got a report that'll be uphill all the way for them...
Just restarted volunteering with the CAB B.
Last edited by: R.P. on Tue 5 Jul 22 at 09:32
>> Just restarted volunteering with the CAB B.

Doing the paid job on Help to Claim today but was volunteering on Adviceline yesterday.
We did a lot with HTC with the Foodbank - I feel "time expired" with the Foodbank and a need to draw back from the operational stuff.
>> Just restarted volunteering with the CAB B.

How's that going then?
 John Lewis are a shower! - Manatee
I'm shocked at JLP here and I have heard a couple of stories from friends who have also been let down recently.

All retailers have to reconcile the cost of returns and refunds etc. with sensible commercial risk. JLP has historically erred on the generous side here as (IMO) a key part of its proposition which amounts to "you're safe with John Lewis".

There is inevitably abuse. I'm almost certain that JLP, which has been having a nightmare time with profitability and has closed about 1/3 of its shops, identified the costs of being so customer friendly and tightened the internal procedures to limit those costs.

In doing so they forgot, or decided to ignore, that the key to their past success has been the reassurance that customers got from shopping there. They were the nanny retailer, who would give you a price promise, great advice, and put problems right until you were satisfied.

It sounds as if the baby has gone down the plughole with the bathwater, and unless they get it back their decline will only accelerate.
 John Lewis are a shower! - Bobby
My LG tv had areas of fading and shading on the screen. My daughters boyfriend had previously noticed this when he has been down watching football but it was very noticeable to us all watching the golf today.

Checked back my emails and I purchased it in Aug 2017 from John Lewis with a 5 year guarantee. Wish me luck……
 John Lewis are a shower! - Ted

We had the same Bobby. It's something to do with the backlight....whatever that is. I was told that LG use a cheapo backlight unit.

I had the usual telephone fight with JLP until I mentioned consumer rights, or something. They came and took it away...I said for them to use a better make of part for the repair....which they may have done as no further problems.

Fortunately I have a 32" Sony Bravia for a monitor so that went back into the lounge for a week.

Ted.
 John Lewis are a shower! - Bobby
So I started a live chat with them, got so far and they disconnected me!
Phoned the helpline and they offer a WhatsApp chat so started that yesterday but there was no response!
However 830am this morning a reply suddenly appeared and after a conversation they are sending out a repair company next Monday.

Will see what happens.

A friend had a similar issue with Richer Sounds. Company picked up the TV and repaired it and returned it. But she still wasn’t happy. So Richer Sounds gave her a credit for the full amount of the TV and told her just to keep the faulty one as well!
Latest Forum Posts