Non-motoring > NHS dentistry Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 5

NHS dentistry - smokie
I've nearly always had NHS dentists, and I have a mouthful of fillings. Until 12 months ago we went to a really nice Iranian dentist but they've sold the practice to Perfect Smile, who seemed to be very focussed on the upsell when I first went to them.

Anyway, some years back (like 20+). I had a bridge installed, I can't remember whether it was NHS or private but my current dentist told me on my last visit that it is coming loose, which surprised me as I hadn't noticed but I think I can vaguely feel it fitting slightly differently now.

The max cost for NHS dentistry is £282 which includes "bridges – a fixed replacement for a missing tooth or teeth" ( - also crowns, dentures, inlays, pinlays and onlays etc etc.)

One of SWMBOs friends, who is with the same NHS dentists as me, needs a replacement denture. He has said she should get it privately as "the NHS ones aren't very good". The cost will be a few thousand.

I expect I'll get the same spin but is he right, is it really worth paying the extra (when you are older, and less concerned about perfection in your appearance). I certainly think it's a bit cheeky to say the NHS ones aren't very good without qualifying why, but I'm sure they can make them not very good...
 NHS dentistry - Zero
I paid 3 grand for my last chunk of orthodontic prosthetic ( I wont reveal the extent), and yes when it comes to fakery with teeth you do get what you paid for. Its not just looks either, its performance and fit.
 NHS dentistry - Falkirk Bairn
3 years ago my crown gave up the ghost - 54 years old the root snapped.
I was told that a screw fit tooth could be implanted - £3000 + £150 per year service.

I had a £300 job instead and recently another £300 repair - NHS does not cover it.
 NHS dentistry - Dog
I had a 4 toof bridge fitted by a NHS dentist over 30 years ago, and it's as good as new.

The last time I saw it, it was in one of the drawers of my desk.
 NHS dentistry - smokie
Hahaha Dog, reminds me that I had a single tooth on a plate which fitted in my mouth. Wasn't too bothered about wearing it all the time and I used to leave it in the gubbins box under the centre armrest in the car.

When I sold the car, I forgot about it and they go tthat too!! Along with the 10 CDs in the boot autochanger!!
 NHS dentistry - Dog
>>I had a single tooth on a plate which fitted in my mouth

Well, it would do wouldn't it :o)

My bridge came away from one of the anchor teeth many years ago, possibly due to decay of that tooth.

It wasn't loose as such though, and still did its job okay, just like 'normal' teeth.

Eventually, say 6 years ago, the cement failed on the other anchor tooth.

I had it cemented in again by the toof doctor, but it didn't last long.

You can buy the proper glass ionomer cement on Amazon - I tried that and it lasted longer than when the toof doctor did it.

But that failed eventually, and I'm a tad worried it would fail while I was asleep and choke me :)

Latest Forum Posts