Non-motoring > NHS dentistry Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 5

NHS dentistry - smokie
I've nearly always had NHS dentists, and I have a mouthful of fillings. Until 12 months ago we went to a really nice Iranian dentist but they've sold the practice to Perfect Smile, who seemed to be very focussed on the upsell when I first went to them.

Anyway, some years back (like 20+). I had a bridge installed, I can't remember whether it was NHS or private but my current dentist told me on my last visit that it is coming loose, which surprised me as I hadn't noticed but I think I can vaguely feel it fitting slightly differently now.

The max cost for NHS dentistry is £282 which includes "bridges – a fixed replacement for a missing tooth or teeth" ( - also crowns, dentures, inlays, pinlays and onlays etc etc.)

One of SWMBOs friends, who is with the same NHS dentists as me, needs a replacement denture. He has said she should get it privately as "the NHS ones aren't very good". The cost will be a few thousand.

I expect I'll get the same spin but is he right, is it really worth paying the extra (when you are older, and less concerned about perfection in your appearance). I certainly think it's a bit cheeky to say the NHS ones aren't very good without qualifying why, but I'm sure they can make them not very good...
 Messages Author Date
 NHS dentistry new smokie 19 Oct 21 09:50
 NHS dentistry new Zero 19 Oct 21 10:01
 NHS dentistry new Falkirk Bairn 19 Oct 21 11:27
 NHS dentistry new Dog 19 Oct 21 15:30
 NHS dentistry new smokie 19 Oct 21 16:17
 NHS dentistry new Dog 19 Oct 21 18:08
Latest Forum Posts