Non-motoring > John Lewis Customer Services Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 10

John Lewis Customer Services - zippy
Disappointed really.

The lad's laptop has died one week out of warranty and they are just not interested.

Mentioned the Consumer Rights Act - expectation of 6 years for a £650 mainstream brand laptop. Response was get an engineers report that it is a problem with original manufacturing of the device at your expense which is not refundable.

This is not the JL of old and now will not be my first choice when buying expensive goods in future which is a shame as we have a kitchen re-furb coming up which will include a new range cooker, dishwasher, extractor, built in meecrowavay (thanks Nigella) and JL were high on the list as a preferred supplier. Not now.

Off to call the credit card co, whom I expect will take the same engineers report route.

John Lewis Customer Services - No FM2R
Four very similar stories were in The Times last week under the heading "A pattern emerges at John Lewis" covering Apple HomePods, 2 x MacBook Pro and some other technology that I forget. THere were many scathing comments about JL and apromise from JL to inform it's staff. In at least some of the cases they insisted on an engineer's report.

I think "This is not the JL of old" pretty much sums it up.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 21 Jun 21 at 14:39
 John Lewis Customer Services - Zero
Is this the manufacturers one year warranty or the JLP two year warranty?
If you're asking me, then it was the gap between the 2 Year JLP warranty and the 6 year term mentioned in the Consumer Protection act.
>> Is this the manufacturers one year warranty or the JLP two year warranty?
>>

JLP two year warranty.
Could you link the Times article please (I guess it's behind a paywall but worth a look).
It is behind a paywall and I'm not at home at the moment.

But if you drop me an email (address in my profile) then I'll happily send you the text when I get home.
 John Lewis Customer Services - bathtub tom
I've mentioned before, a local radio consumer affairs programme where JLP keep cropping up (as does another large electrical retailer). Without fail, when a report is produced, they roll over and either replace the item or pay for the repair and the cost of the engineer's report.
 John Lewis Customer Services - Lemma
Our daughter's flat was being renovated so she moved in with us for a few months. Friends overseas sent her a housewarming gift, via our address. A large box arrived with sets of glasses etc in it. Lots of puffy plastic packing but one box of glasses laid in the corner of the box with no padding at all. Result - two glasses broken.

Got in touch with customer services and several weeks and numerous emails later the complaint was escalated to another department. Lots of apologies and strong desire to sort it out etc etc, but due to GDPR they needed to speak to the owner of the credit card used to purchase the glasses. My response was no you don't, just send more glasses. By the way the person concerned is currently in a remote part fo central America with no email or phone access. Lots more hassle but no action. I eventually had to put the phone down as i was losing my temper. JL never did replace the glasses.

Our house has two sofas, a double bed, two single beds, three large rugs, washing machine, dishwasher etc in our house. Our daughter has a sideboard, table and chairs and a sofa all bought new for her refurbished flat. All these items came from John Lewis. But their replacements wont - all for the sake of two water glasses. I wonder what Amazon would have done in similar circumstances?

John Lewis Customer Services - Manatee
I used to work for a company that had a sign in all its offices showing about half a dozen "mottoes" which we were all supposed, presumably, to take note of. One of them was "Reputations are made by many acts, and lost by one".
>>What Amazon...

Can't remember what it was now, probably something under £20.

It went next door who were away. Amazon assured the delivery was to our house so dutifully looked over the garden gate etc.

Anyway, Amazon refunded and then next day the neighbour got home and popped the item round.

I re-raised the issue with Amazon to say I didn't need the refund now and they insisted I keep the refund and the item.

Had a scratched office desk delivered from them. Scratched on the bottom. They said they can take it back but I had assembled most of it by then so offered a 30% refund.

I asked for 50% and they agreed on provision of a photo which I had taken in anticipation anyway.
Latest Forum Posts