Non-motoring > Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 10
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 37

Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 10 - VxFan

Ongoing debate.

Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 8 Apr 21 at 10:45
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 9 - helicopter
My notification for second AZ jab was received and booked online this morning for later today , 2 months from the first.
Pretty slick operation by my surgery .....
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 9 - smokie
Looks like someone pressed the wrong button. That'll please Macron and Merkel. Not.

www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/millions-of-johnson-johnson-vaccines-ruined-in-us-factory-mix-up-1.4525551
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 9 - sooty123
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56605598

Not often you see Corbyn, IDS and the Lib dems all on the same side. I'll think the government will have to tread carefully with this idea of a vaccination passport.
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 9 - legacylad
I enjoy a pint or more with friends several times a week. In normal times. Blessed with two nice beer gardens within a short stroll. Plus a few other pubs without beer gardens.
I’ve been holding weekly soirées with friends in my garage these past few months, and this week friends have been meeting in gardens late afternoon, early evening for beer & banter.
When you have access to such facilities...sunny patio, garden, it’s really enjoyable to sit with half a dozen friends for a few hours and have a chinwag. It’s good for the soul and much cheaper than going to the pub beer garden.
I’ll be getting out my handpump and buying in a barrel next week, set it up in my ( still empty) garage and having friends round most days...I’ll even do take away beer with an honesty box as previously, leaving the side garage door open from midday for friends to drop in, full a few pints, and take away decent draught beer at cost.
A few friends have now had two jabs, others are imminent.
Happy days are here again.

Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 2 Apr 21 at 08:59
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 9 - Kevin
I won't be happy until travel restrictions are lifted. I need at least four weeks of sun and 30°C every year to recharge the batteries.

Still, it's good that we can have group sex in the garden with any number of households now or did I mis-hear that bit?
Last edited by: Kevin on Fri 2 Apr 21 at 10:41
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 9 - Dog
>>I need at least four weeks of sun and 30°C every year to recharge the batteries

Same here, even though I take high amounts of vitamin D3.

>> it's good that we can have group sex in the garden with any number of households now

Ivor Giggun, garden that is :o)
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 9 - smokie
@Kevin Only if you stay 6 feet apart.
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 2 Apr 21 at 11:44
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 9 - sooty123
Good point there LL I wonder how these restrictions will hit the pub trade ? Will people be used to staying at home and drinking, the mini pub near us isn't opening until all restrictions are off they can't make any money at 50% occupency.
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 9 - BiggerBadderDave
Well I had my first jab today. The second is booked in for 4 week's time. It's the Pfizer and I don't feel any different. Yet.

Big mistake only wearing a t-shirt and not bringing a coat in a sleety snowfall. Never occurred to me that there would be a queue at all (1.5 hours in all) and they only let us queue outside (where it's safer). Good job I'm a Northerner.

Wifey got the jab for me. She had heard that before they had to discard unused vials there was a first call, first served basis. Leftovers. So I'm chuffed to bits, I've no idea when I'd have had it otherwise. She had hers a month ago, she works for governmental atom/nuclear/radiation/medicine-type stuff.

Isn't it strange that you're really looking forward to having an injection and something to tell all your friends about. But, you know what the weirdest thing of all today? Get dressed, we're going, she said. After much searching, I found my jeans, pulled them on, leather belt still attached there and guess wot. They're the same unwashed jeans I was last wearing on Boxing Day. I've been wearing lounge pants for three and a half months.
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 9 - tyrednemotional
>> ....I've been wearing lounge pants for three and a
>> half months.
>>

...I bet they took some peeling off......
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 9 - Zero
>> >> ....I've been wearing lounge pants for three and a
>> >> half months.

Jezuz, mind bleach - quickly.
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 9 - Manatee
"Lounge pants?" asked Mr Justice Cocklecarrot.

Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 9 - CGNorwich
Ventured out to a local hotel yesterday where I had a drink in the lounge. Service was excellent with loads of staff looking after my every need.

Well OK it was a blood donation session and the drink was a litre of orange juice but it seemed like a day out to me.
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 9 - Terry
Extraordinary and sad in equal measure how the most trivial of activities, usually of no consequence at all, take on huge importance.

Today I took some rubbish to the tip and bought a newspaper from a shop!!!
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 9 - Robin O'Reliant
>> "Lounge pants?" asked Mr Justice Cocklecarrot.
>>
>>
"A form of trouser worn by those of dubious character, M'Lud"
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 9 - henry k
>>Well I had my first jab today. The second is booked in for 4 week's time.
>>
I have just had a call re SWMBOs 2nd jab.
I said I have yet to be called so will wait. That prompted a database search and we are now both booked for a Sunday evening trip. Well done the team.
It is 9 weeks since our first jab. Overall it means that before the end of the month I will be let out on my own as limited Day Care is restarting.
I am not gong to the pub but it will be wonderful to have a little freedom after over a year in self imposed lockdown with only one flue jab visit by the local nurse. The family have been but only in the garden.
Mask at the ready, I now need retraining for the strange new world out there.
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 9 - legacylad
Enjoy henry. Very fortunate that I wasn’t in your position.
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 9 - henry k
Thanks ll
It was my choice and it does not appear to have affected SWMBO.
I have missed buying greeting cards for birthdays etc plus unplanned food buys in supermarkets.
Quite a few more Ebay buys and even a truckle of Cheddar straight from the dairy farm.
Whatsapp, Zoom and similarvehicles for talks /presentations chats plus live Youtube have all helped.
Quite a few organisations, banned from live meetings have adapted to online events.
Lots of gardening been done but DIY tools etc tidy up still to be tackled.
I do feel lucky that everything has worked out suprisingly well.
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 10 - No FM2R
Typical Fidiot Chilenos.

The news this morning showed a Government presentation insisting that Sinovac is the best vaccine on the planet and that they were heroes for buying it and not one of the First World vaccines with side effects and lower effectivity.

They then went on to discuss that given the lack of impact on the figures they will probably go to a third jab.

FFS, clowns. You couldn't make it up.
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 10 - sooty123
I heard a report today that the Sinovac vaccine is around 50% effectiveness, is that being reported in Chile?
>> I heard a report today that the Sinovac vaccine is around 50% effectiveness, is that
>> being reported in Chile?

Been reading Fox News?

Frankly I haven't got a clue. I do suspect that the effectivity is lower but there is so much conflicting news and so little official word in Chile that f.nose.

1) Indonesia reported 65.3% in Nov/Dec
2) Turkey reported 91.25 in Dec
3) Brazil reported 78% in Dec
4) UAE reported 86% in Jan
5) Brazil reported 50.3% in Jan
6) Turkey reported 83% in Mar
7) Chile reported 50.6% in Mar

It would also appear that South China Morning Post is releasing stuff the UdC hasn't.

The South China Morning Post seems to be the source of a lot of bad news about China. It used to be independent, then was Murdoch, then Alibaba etc. Used to be Hong Kong oriented, now seems to be politicised by the Chinese.

www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3128886/chile-covid-19-vaccination-drive-adds-sinovac-efficacy-data

"But the study by the University of Chile also found that one dose of the Sinovac jab was only 3 per cent effective against infection, underscoring the need to get fully vaccinated. Efficacy rises to 27.7 per cent within two weeks after the second jab, reaching 56.5 per cent a fortnight later, according to the university."
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 11 Apr 21 at 19:40
19th MArch

"Clinical trials in Chile show China's Sinovac vaccine safe, effective "

www.xinhuanet.com/english/2021-03/19/c_139821794.htm
www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.03.31.21254494v1
No I heard it on a local radio station.
It seems to be a global copy from either Fox or the Washington Post, both of whom carried it at the same time..
They probably did pick it up from them, I just wondered if it had been reported widely in Chile and if so what the reaction was.
No, not reported widely and thus no reaction. I would expect it to appear on tomorrow's breakfast TV which is when we'll get a reaction.
This should be a link to an English translation of the article from University de Chile.

translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.uc.cl/en/news/90-de-vacunados-en-estudio-clinico-tiene-anticuerpos-contra-covid-19-despues-de-la-segunda-dosis/
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 10 - Robin O'Reliant
Anyone signed up for the mixed vaccine trial?

www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/research/coronavirus-vaccine-research/

I was giving serious thought to doing my bit and putting my name forward, but Mrs O'Reliant has put a very firm block on it. She's probably had a look at my life insurance policy, which although sufficient is not nearly enough for a life of luxury.
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 10 - smokie
Much as I am pro-vaccine I am reluctant to be more of a guinea pig than I already am.

This whole business of side effects arising from the vaccines does actually give some strength to the argument of those younger ones who didn't want to be vaccinated for sound reasons, as opposed to just wanting to be contrary..
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 10 - Robin O'Reliant
1 in 600,000 people are at risk from blood clots arising from the AV vaccine. I'd rather take my chances with that than catch Covid.

The fact is that All medicines can have nasty side effects in a minority of cases, even the humble Asiprin.
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 10 - smokie
I did say younger :-)
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 10 - Manatee
If everybody understood probability, very few would buy lottery tickets and nobody except money launderers would play fixed odds betting terminals.

On average the chance of dying from a AZ-induced blood clot seems likely to be about the same as the annual risk of dying from gunshot, although I suspect one can improve this risk a lot by not committing suicide. But how many people do you know who shot themselves?

The annual chance of dying from a blood clot of all types is on a scale of 1000 times greater than one caused by AZ.

The risk of death from all causes at 20 is worse than 1 in 5,000, at least 100 x worse than AZ, and it gets more likely from then on.

If I were especially prone to blood clots I might be cautious.

Vaccination could well be a government plan to reduce the population, it meets the incompetence criterion. Is Dido in charge of it?

Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 10 - bathtub tom
>>how many people do you know who shot themselves?

Fewer than I used to :>)
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 10 - Zero
>> Much as I am pro-vaccine I am reluctant to be more of a guinea pig
>> than I already am.
>>
>>
>> This whole business of side effects arising from the vaccines does actually give some strength
>> to the argument of those younger ones who didn't want to be vaccinated for sound
>> reasons, as opposed to just wanting to be contrary..

The side effects are at the statistical levels of "dont actually exist"
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 10 - Manatee

>> The side effects are at the statistical levels of "don't actually exist"

That's how I look at it - even if they quantifiably do exist, as part of a practical decision-making process they might as well not.

Similarly, as part of a plan for retirement, the possibility of winning the lottery jackpot can be ignored.
 Coronavirus Vaccine - Volume 10 - BiggerBadderDave
The handful of people who won the lottery during the lockdown were probably just buying a ticket and doing a couple of errands while they were out getting the jab.

If they hadn't taken their jab, they wouldn't have won.
Latest Forum Posts