Non-motoring > Ever Given Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 20

Ever Given - Duncan
The Ever Given has been freed,

Change the scale in the bottom right hand corner.

www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9811000
 Ever Given - Zero
Not quite, they have managed to widen the canal round it tho.

The bow has been dug out, and they are currently trying to swing it round.
 Ever Given - henry k
The stern has certainly been moved a lot.
They are hoping to complete the move as the tide rises from about 10:00 GMT.
video at www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-56559904
 Ever Given - Zero
The interesting shot is the wider level of the area, from the Gulf of Aden up the Red Sea to the Gulf of Suez.

Normally it looks like the M25 on a busy day, now it looks like the M25 on a Bank Holiday when the Qe2 bridge is shut! Tens of billions $ of world trade is jammed up.

www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:43.2/centery:22.7/zoom:5
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 29 Mar 21 at 10:04
 Ever Given - Manatee
Going to be a lot of insurance angst I should think.
 Ever Given - henry k
BBC lunchtime update.

High winds have blown the stern back across the canal.
 Ever Given - Zero
The salver is seriously talking about having to unload the thing
 Ever Given - henry k
>> The salver is seriously talking about having to unload the thing
>>
From what I understand that is a long difficult task.
Not just a large lifting device, transported overland or maybe a ship with a suitable crane.
Then there is the problem of selecting the containers so the balance of the ship is maintained and not overstressed.

New rules / procedures will be required for such vessels in high winds ??
 Ever Given - No FM2R
>>High winds have blown the stern back across the canal.

But apparently have caused no particular extra difficulty because only the bow remains stuck.

I'm surprised that the ship's engines can't pull it back. Perhaps it would churn up the bottom too much. Seems like only regular dredging keeps it navigable as it is.

I see there are increasing murmurings about the original cause being human error. That'll be one pilot/naviagtor with a career direction which is no longer up, then.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 29 Mar 21 at 14:18
 Ever Given - Ambo
I would have advised him to do what I often did, with a full-length narrowboat. It, too, offered a lot of windage but could be kept going ahead in winds off the beam by dint of offering it slantwise to the wind. This took the full width of the "cut" however and would not work with fore and aft winds.
 Ever Given - Ambo
According to Microsoft News, the ship is on the move, being tugged to the Great Bitter Lake for inspection. With the stern being dragged as it was, apparently through solid material, I would expert rudder or propeller damage.
 Ever Given - Manatee
I also have a certain amount of experience of helming narrowboats of 60 & 70 feet in high winds but I wouldn't try to apply it to piloting the Ever Given.

What's tricky is when you stop as you have no easy means of preventing it blowing on to the bank when the wind is abeam as we seafarers call it. But a ship of any size now will have side thrusters at the bow and probably the stern. Perhaps they were overwhelmed, or the pilot's eye was off the ball and momentum took over. I'm pretty sure there'll be some human error involved, high winds can't be as rare as all that but is is relatively rare that the Suez canal is blocked.
 Ever Given - R.P.
A crowd of us went narrowboating on the Llangollen canal last September, put it like this, wasn't like any RWD BMW I've ever driven. The aqueduct at Pontcysyllte was incredible.
 Ever Given - smokie
History repeated itself, sort of

www.snopes.com/fact-check/truck-evergreen-block-highway/
 Ever Given - henry k
Egypt seizes ship that blocked Suez Canal over $900m compensation claim

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-56743556
 Ever Given - Fullchat
Where there's blame there's a claim.
 Ever Given - Zero
Huge expense to both stranded shipping and for recovery, someone has to pay.

However

Wasnt the Suez canal authority pilot in charge of the ship?
 Ever Given - No FM2R
And didn't I see something about $300m for damage to reputation? Seems ever so slightly ridiculous.

Bearing in mind that all the external contractor salvage costs are being paid by another insurer.
 Ever Given - henry k
>> Huge expense to both stranded shipping and for recovery, someone has to pay.
>>
>> However
>>
>> Wasnt the Suez canal authority pilot in charge of the ship?
>>
IIRC No - the captain is alway in charge.
 Ever Given - Biggles
For the Panama canal, the pilot assumes command of navigation but for Suez they are there to provide 'advice'.
 Ever Given - Zero
>> For the Panama canal, the pilot assumes command of navigation but for Suez they are
>> there to provide 'advice'. take the pilotage fee but avoid responsibility
Latest Forum Posts