Non-motoring > Unexpected Delivery! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: tyrednemotional Replies: 17

Unexpected Delivery! - tyrednemotional
I have a Satmap personal navigation device for which (in anticipation of escaping in the coming months) I ordered a bike mount last week, which arrived on Friday.

This morning, DPD arrived at the doorstep with a medium-sized brown box, definitely addressed to me, even though I wasn't expecting anything. The delivery driver dropped it and ran as soon as he'd confirmed my name.

Once I got it inside, It was obvious (though in small print) that it was from Satmap, and, as above, definitely addressed to me.

I rather thought I must have inadvertently pressed the button on something else, but I checked my account and emails, and no, no evidence of that.

It only remained to open it, which I did, and the invoice on the top was certainly not for me. Not only that, it was in respect of two fully-configured Satmap devices, and cases, at a value of almost £1100!! (which someone in Folkestone was expecting on next-day delivery).

A phone call to Satmap resulted in DPD being arranged to pick them up (which they did, with a different driver less than an hour after delivery).

I did consider putting them on eBay (or gifting them to friends who would have found them useful) but rather thought the connection might ultimately be made ;-)
 Unexpected Delivery! - smokie
There used to be (and maybe still is) a law covering delivery and ultimate ownership of unsolicited goods. I "won" once, back in the 80s, when a full keyboard and case was delivered for a Spectrum 48K, which I had. I think the value was something in the order of £100 which to me then was a lot of dosh.

So I followed the law and contacted the company on a number of occasions but as they never collected it, it because mine after 3 or 6 months. As it happened I didn't like it much but there was no eBay then for monetising it.

I suppose arranging collections was much more complex back in those days...
 Unexpected Delivery! - Robin O'Reliant
About ten or more years ago a van drew up outside my house and when I went out I found a brand new cruiser motorcycle on the drive (I think it was a Kawasaki) with the delivery driver waiting for a signature. He'd got the right house number, but the wrong road.

I was so tempted....
 Unexpected Delivery! - zippy
I received two iPads once, both expensive versions.

I had cancelled one order in good time and replaced it with an iPad with a cellular connection. I was only charged for one.

When both arrived I contacted the company by phone on about half a dozen occasions (they said someone would get back to me but they didn’t) and several emails but they didn’t respond to those either. Finally I sent a letter by registered post.

After 3 months I heard nothing and gave it to Miss Z who was going off to NZ for her elective.

It was from one of the biggest companies in the UK.
>> Right number, wrong road...

We live in St Mary’s Park, there is also a St Mary’s Road, St Mary’s Avenue, St Mary’s Close, St Mary’s Lane all in the same area.

(Not actually St Mary’s but similar.)

Any how, mail is always being mis-delivered.

Some urgently needed and expensive concert (remember them?) tickets went to St Mary’s close and we got a text to say they were delivered when they weren’t. The Royal Mail went out of their way to resolve the issue by effectively sending a postie around to the other house when they returned from work and driving the envelope around to us.
Last edited by: zippy on Mon 1 Mar 21 at 13:35
>> Unsolicited goods.

AIUI, incorrectly delivered goods do not count as unsolicited goods.

Unsolicited goods are those goods correctly delivered to you but you didn’t request them.

Of course if you contact the sender and they don’t respond or collect the goods then you are free to dispose of them after a decent period.

Unexpected Delivery! - No FM2R
Quite.

Goods deliberately delivered to you but which you did not request or expect are unsolicited and you may treat them as an unconditional gift.

Goods mistakenly delivered to you are different. You have to take reasonable steps to get them collected by the rightful owner, though the actual collection should cause you no inconvenience.

If they do not collect them after you have requested that they do so, then you can notify them that you will abandon or dispose of the goods. If you do, then make sure you keep proof that you took reasonable steps to return them as required by law.

If you don't take reasonable steps, or if you can't prove that you did, you remain liable for the value of those goods for years.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 1 Mar 21 at 13:31
 Unexpected Delivery! - BiggerBadderDave
Our house was an incomplete-build or structurally finished but very little else. We bought all the radiators and they arrived with a pay on delivery arrangement. They dumped them in front of the house and as we struggled to get them inside, the driver disappeared leaving me with a pocketful of cash. I thought, sooner or later they'll want their money but we never heard anything after that. Six radiators and three of those heated towel rail thingies.
 Unexpected Delivery! - Duncan
Not the same thing, but..

I bought a garden table, four chairs and a parasol from a well known garden centre chain.

A few weeks/months went by, one day the phone rang and it was the well known garden centre chain (GCC)

GCC. That table set you bought from us, is it ok?
ME. Yes, why?

GCC. Not going rusty or anything?
ME. No. Why?

GCC. Well you can return it if you want? Have your money back?
ME. No, it's ok, thanks.

Few more weeks go by.
GCC. Look that garden table and chairs set. Shall we give you a refund?
ME. No, it's ok.

Pause.
GCC Look, we will give you a refund and you can keep the furniture? Ok?
ME. Oh, all right then.

And that's what happened. Blowed if I know why.
How strange!

I couldn't live with not knowing. Of course one can guess, but I'd need to know.
 Unexpected Delivery! - Rudedog
All I got was a pack of b***** bog rolls!
We were refunded nearly £1.00 by Costco for a large and heavy outdoor dining set on which a few mosaics had lifted, at least a year after we'd bought it. We were expecting them to collect it and replace the next day but a lady phoned from Florida to say they'd refund instead.

We're still using it... :-)
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 1 Mar 21 at 16:14
 Unexpected Delivery! - Duncan
>> We were refunded nearly £1.00 by Costco for a large and heavy outdoor dining set
>> on which a few mosaics had lifted, at least a year after we'd bought it.

Well, if you got a pound back, you were doing well!
>>Well, if you got a pound back, you were doing well!

He didn't though. He said it was *nearly* £1.00.
...haha but he meant nearly £1000!!
 Unexpected Delivery! - BiggerBadderDave
"And that's what happened. Blowed if I know why."

Hollowed out table legs, filled with cocaine. Your life's in danger.
 Unexpected Delivery! - bathtub tom
Sister-in-law had two dozen cordless keyboards arrive, she was expecting a bunch of flowers. She contacted the delivery company, who didn't want to know. The flower company sent a replacement bunch.
I got one for Christmas and I've nothing I can use it on!

I got a tin of Cabury Heroes in a delivery by a supermarket. Was told they couldn't re-sell it and keep it. I understand the delivery drivers keep stuff like this for themselves if they want it. If not, it goes into a 'pool' for all drivers to take what they want.
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Mon 1 Mar 21 at 16:50
 Unexpected Delivery! - PeterS
I have a similarly odd garden furniture related gain. I’d ordered some furniture from Amazon...not hugely expensive, but nearer £1k than £0. 10 days later it arrived...nothing untoward, correctly addressed. About a week later I got an email confirming a delivery date (in the future) for my order of garden furniture. Strange, I though. It’s already here. So I called, and told them I’d already got it. After a lot of backwards and forwards, the only way to stop the second delivery was to cancel the order. But cancelling the order generated a refund. So I called them again. More backwards and forwards. Nothing we can do, they said. No record of despatching anything, so we can’t charge you without shipping the product. Oh well I said...

But when I moved a few weeks ago I gave it to a neighbour, who wanted to give me some money but when I explained the story was delighted to get it for nothing :)
Latest Forum Posts