Non-motoring > Flaming Jackdaws Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 8

Flaming Jackdaws - Manatee
Just had a minor chimney fire.

Early in the year the jackdaws blocked the chimney, and they nested again in the summer, so I swept the chimney a few weeks ago. It was a right job to clear it and there was a sackful of moss-like stuff and sticks. Hardly any soot because we hadn't had many fires after the last sweep before they blocked it.

We had a fire on the last cold weekend 2 or 3 weeks ago, and all was fine. About half an hour ago I heard them at it again so I screwed up some paper and set fire to it to get them to clear off.

About 2 minutes after the paper had burnt out, a flaming lump of moss and a twig or two came down the chimney and continued burning in the grate. Within seconds the chimney was roaring like a jet engine, smoke pouring out of the top. Then a bigger drop of burning twigs and moss that had presumably remained stuck up there when I swept it.

After that had gone out it smouldered higher up for a bit, judging by the emissions, and now it's stopped. The chimney seems fine, the stack in the loft wasn't even warm so I think we're OK.

But there's a peculiar smell. I might have roasted a rotting jackdaw or two. Maybe I'll cough up for a proper chimbley sweep next time!
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 11 Dec 18 at 14:55
 Flaming Jackdaws - Dog
You need one of these guv: www.jamesthesweep.co.uk/chimney-cowls
 Flaming Jackdaws - hawkeye
If you've got confidence in the chimney itself, height, throat, draught etc. then my vote goes to those wire ones that look as though they've been built around a football. The less interference with the chimney, the better IMO.
 Flaming Jackdaws - Zero
>> But there's a peculiar smell. I might have roasted a rotting jackdaw or two.

I think at this point you need to don a skirt made of jute, paint your face with wode, tie some feathers to a stick wave them around and dance around the fire.

Edit, If you cant find some shells to blow, put on some ELP at full volume for the primeval tuneless noise effect.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 11 Dec 18 at 15:56
 Flaming Jackdaws - tyrednemotional
>>
>> But there's a peculiar smell. I might have roasted a rotting jackdaw or two. Maybe
>> I'll cough up for a proper chimbley sweep next time!
>>

....but roasting a chimney sweep would be damn inconsiderate, and possibly illegal to boot.
>> ....but roasting a chimney sweep would be damn inconsiderate, and possibly illegal to boot.

And it wouldn't do my reputation any good if it was one of the little boys either.

I've been out for a couple of hours; came back and the smell is terrible. I might light another fire and see what happens.
 Flaming Jackdaws - Haywain
"the smell is terrible."

The smell of burning feathers is horrible. If you keep a small fire going, it should keep the air and the smell convecting to the outside. I trust that you don't have a thatched roof?
>> "the smell is terrible."
>>
>> The smell of burning feathers is horrible. If you keep a small fire going, it
>> should keep the air and the smell convecting to the outside. I trust that you
>> don't have a thatched roof?

No, thankfully! I think you're right. It could well be feathers I suppose, even if there are no dead birds involved.
 Flaming Jackdaws - R.P.
Our anti bird cowl blew off a couple of weeks ago. Got a new one, Mrs RP climbed the roof to attach it yesterday, I'm far too yellow. We've had fires in the interim, so hopefully we'll be OK bird-wise.
Latest Forum Posts